Why drinking a protein shake right BEFORE BED is good!

Options
Eating right before bed has always been a no-no when it comes to losing weight. Downing a few hundred high-glycemic calories right before hitting the sack is a recipe for a sure insulin response nightmare. All those carbohydrates ingested are quickly converted to sugar and your body's response is to flood your bloodstream with insulin in an attempt to lower your blood sugar levels. Where do the sugars go? Yes, you guessed it, right to your thighs in the form of fat.

But, not all foods right before bed are necessarily bad for you. In fact, eating protein right before bed has been a practice of elite level bodybuilders for decades. If you don't put protein into your body before you go to bed, your body will run out of protein about 2 am. Once your body digests all of its available protein, your body thinks it is starving itself. To protect you, your body shuts down and starts storing fat cells. The sugar in your blood still needs protein to keep you going, so it starts consuming the only protein source available, your own muscle mass. Basically, you are storing fat and eating muscle.

By drinking a high protein smoothie just before you go to bed, the added protein will support muscle growth for up to 4 to 5 hours. Now the process is reversed for most of your sleep time. Rather than storing fat and eating muscle, the protein allows your body to burn the fat at its normal rate while building muscle.

By eating protein right before bed, you will get a better night sleep and wake up more alert and less hungry in the morning.

(taken from http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/diet-nutrition/123935-why-drink-protein-shake-before-bed.html)
(I did take out the info on the egg white shake... check out the link for that recipe)

BTW - my trainer suggests (and I practice) simply having a scoop of your favorite protein powder mixed with water, instead of adding in tons of calories from milk and other foods/flavors.

;)

Replies

• kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I love protein before bed, but since I usually buy whey protein, which is quick release, I opt for some real food with slow releasing casein instead like milk or yoghurt.
  • mayralee13
    mayralee13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great Info!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Eating right before bed has always been a no-no when it comes to losing weight.
    Uused to*

Downing a few hundred high-glycemic calories right before hitting the sack is a recipe for a sure insulin response nightmare.
    Really ?
    All those carbohydrates ingested are quickly
    Relative term
    converted to sugar
    glycogen*
    and your body's response is to flood your bloodstream with insulin in an attempt to lower your blood sugar levels. Where do the sugars go?
    glycogen
    Yes, you guessed it, right to your thighs in the form of fat.
    Really ?

But, not all foods right before bed are necessarily bad for you.
    Are there actually ?
    In fact, eating protein right before bed has been a practice of elite level bodybuilders for decades.
    Such as ?
    If you don't put protein into your body before you go to bed, your body will run out of protein about 2 am.
    Really ?
    Once your body digests all of its available protein, your body thinks it is starving itself.
    Really ?
    To protect you,
    Really ?
    your body shuts down and starts storing fat cells.
    Really ?
    The sugar in your blood still needs protein to keep you going,
    Why glycogen would need protein for ?
    so it starts consuming the only protein source available, your own muscle mass.
    I'd be dead by now
    Basically, you are storing fat and eating muscle.
    who's that ?
    By drinking a high protein smoothie just before you go to bed, the added protein will support muscle growth for up to 4 to 5 hours.
    what happens if I woke up late ?
    Now the process is reversed for most of your sleep time.
    So I can sleep more ?
    Rather than storing fat and eating muscle, the protein allows your body to burn the fat at its normal rate while building muscle.

By eating protein right before bed, you will get a better night sleep
    Like I'll dream about unicorns ?
    and wake up more alert and less hungry in the morning.
    Which time should I put my buzzer on ?
    (taken from http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/diet-nutrition/123935-why-drink-protein-shake-before-bed.html)
    (I did take out the info on the egg white shake... check out the link for that recipe)

BTW - my trainer suggests (and I practice) simply having a scoop of your favorite protein powder mixed with water, instead of adding in tons of calories from milk and other foods/flavors.
    Thanks for the tip, you just boosted my lifespan and motivation to train more
    ;)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    great post.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    great post.

Really ?

Don't you guys never question posts when you read them ?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I prefer this

129126342324388080.jpg
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    I prefer this

129126342324388080.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    1. Eating right before bed is perfectly fine unless it puts you over your calorie goal for the day, so this post started with a myth, and then snowballed from there.

2. Protein, particularly a protein shake, spikes insulin just as much, and sometimes even more, than carbs do, a simple fact which completely invalidates this entire post.

"THE LAWS OF NUTRIENT TIMING
    The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The second law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing."
    -Alan Aragon
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Eating right before bed has always been a no-no when it comes to losing weight.
    Uused to*

Downing a few hundred high-glycemic calories right before hitting the sack is a recipe for a sure insulin response nightmare.
    Really ?
    All those carbohydrates ingested are quickly
    Relative term
    converted to sugar
    glycogen*
    and your body's response is to flood your bloodstream with insulin in an attempt to lower your blood sugar levels. Where do the sugars go?
    glycogen
    Yes, you guessed it, right to your thighs in the form of fat.
    Really ?

But, not all foods right before bed are necessarily bad for you.
    Are there actually ?
    In fact, eating protein right before bed has been a practice of elite level bodybuilders for decades.
    Such as ?
    If you don't put protein into your body before you go to bed, your body will run out of protein about 2 am.
    Really ?
    Once your body digests all of its available protein, your body thinks it is starving itself.
    Really ?
    To protect you,
    Really ?
    your body shuts down and starts storing fat cells.
    Really ?
    The sugar in your blood still needs protein to keep you going,
    Why glycogen would need protein for ?
    so it starts consuming the only protein source available, your own muscle mass.
    I'd be dead by now
    Basically, you are storing fat and eating muscle.
    who's that ?
    By drinking a high protein smoothie just before you go to bed, the added protein will support muscle growth for up to 4 to 5 hours.
    what happens if I woke up late ?
    Now the process is reversed for most of your sleep time.
    So I can sleep more ?
    Rather than storing fat and eating muscle, the protein allows your body to burn the fat at its normal rate while building muscle.

By eating protein right before bed, you will get a better night sleep
    Like I'll dream about unicorns ?
    and wake up more alert and less hungry in the morning.
    Which time should I put my buzzer on ?

Thanks for the tip, you just boosted my lifespan and motivation to train more
    ;)

Hahahahahah.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat food.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I often try to get the wife to drink a protien shake before bed but she just won't go for it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Dang!! So drinking a Big Glass of 1% Chocolate Milk and having a cup of Double Crave Chocolate Cereal dry with a 1/2 cup of Almonds (580 calories) while lying in bed every night for the last 3 years will cause me to not lose weight??? Well crap, wish I would have known that 310 lbs. ago!! and I am a Type 2 Diabetic to boot and have A1c of 5.3 now..... Grr!!! :drinker:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I often try to get the wife to drink a protien shake before bed but she just won't go for it.

LOL
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at night during the week, generally between 8-930 pm due to my work schedule, then shower and go to bed shortly thereafter without eating anything. I then have a protein shake for breakfast in the morning. I think I'm going to try having the protein shake right after my evening workout, just mixed with either water or unsweetened almond milk (only 35 calories a cup), to see if that helps - I just haven't been able to get as lean as I'd like. Thanks for the information!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I eat so much protein it's ridiculous.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

"THE LAWS OF NUTRIENT TIMING
    The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The second law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing."
    -Alan Aragon

Love this!
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    your body is not going to think its starving THAT FAST, and it definintely wont start to consume muscle mass that fast.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH PEOPLE, BEFORE TAKING ADVICE FROM PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Speak for yourself! I always sleep for 96 hours at a a time, to make sure I fast long enough to catabolize muscles. Don't wanna get bulky, now do I?
  • MCinSoCal
    MCinSoCal Posts: 87
    Options
    My trainer actually recommended if I do a protein shake at night as last snack, to drink it at least a few HOURS BEFORE I go to bed, because it will give me energy and I won't sleep well with all that energy and also so I have time to burn off some of the cals from it. Also was recommended I add an evening walk or some light cardio for that. The adding of the protein shake is supposed to aid in recovery and help to workout more with less down time...the thing I like about it is if I'm low in my calories or certain nutrients for the day the protein shake helps me to make up for them...
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Cool story bro