Why drinking a protein shake right BEFORE BED is good!

Options

Replies

• MCinSoCal
    MCinSoCal Posts: 87
    Options
    I often try to get the wife to drink a protien shake before bed but she just won't go for it.

I eat so much protein it's ridiculous.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaahaaaa :laugh: :happy: :laugh: :tongue: :laugh: :happy: :laugh: :tongue: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :glasses:
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I often try to get the wife to drink a protien shake before bed but she just won't go for it.

Well at least you're not choking her out and trying to make her take it while she sleeps....and every lady knows it's not fun when it misses her mouth.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Dang!! So drinking a Big Glass of 1% Chocolate Milk and having a cup of Double Crave Chocolate Cereal dry with a 1/2 cup of Almonds (580 calories) while lying in bed every night for the last 3 years will cause me to not lose weight??? Well crap, wish I would have known that 310 lbs. ago!! and I am a Type 2 Diabetic to boot and have A1c of 5.3 now..... Grr!!! :drinker:

Holy crap, awesome loss dude! You're amazing!
    "THE LAWS OF NUTRIENT TIMING
    The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The second law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing."
    -Alan Aragon
    ^^^this.

Also, the original post is a huge steaming pile of donkey doodoo....
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    1. Eating right before bed is perfectly fine unless it puts you over your calorie goal for the day, so this post started with a myth, and then snowballed from there.

2. Protein, particularly a protein shake, spikes insulin just as much, and sometimes even more, than carbs do, a simple fact which completely invalidates this entire post.

The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The second law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing."
    -Alan Aragon

this.

What a terrible thread.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options

LOL
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    In all fairness, the OP just reposted an article she found. She didn't make this up herself...perhaps we should start picking on the actual source of the article (which the OP stated) instead of attacking her. The purpose of this site is to support eachother, not attack. If you disagree with the article, there's a polite way to debate it.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I hear this goes well water intake issues...if you cant swallow it, maybe its needed by injection?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I hear this goes well water intake issues...if you cant swallow it, maybe its needed by injection?

If you still have that sandwich would you mind shipping it to my house?
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

um...... lol
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Dang!! So drinking a Big Glass of 1% Chocolate Milk and having a cup of Double Crave Chocolate Cereal dry with a 1/2 cup of Almonds (580 calories) while lying in bed every night for the last 3 years will cause me to not lose weight??? Well crap, wish I would have known that 310 lbs. ago!! and I am a Type 2 Diabetic to boot and have A1c of 5.3 now..... Grr!!! :drinker:

That cereal is good by I can only eat it dry in milk it is not good
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options

NICE!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I read the original post and went :noway: Then thought of the misinformation that would be taken as gospel by some and went :grumble: But, overall, this entire thread had me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: especially the post from the guy wanting to give his wife protein before bed!:devil:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

That cereal is good by I can only eat it dry in milk it is not good

Yeah I prefer it dry too... It is great mixed with Almonds....
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    You mean I have been doing this wrong all these years? I go to bed on empty stomach!
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    1. Eating right before bed is perfectly fine unless it puts you over your calorie goal for the day, so this post started with a myth, and then snowballed from there.

2. Protein, particularly a protein shake, spikes insulin just as much, and sometimes even more, than carbs do, a simple fact which completely invalidates this entire post.

-Alan Aragon

I disagree with all those who say it doesn't matter when you eat. Calories in-calories out is too simplistic. There are other factors that effect weight loss. To convert fat into glucose so it can be used as energy, the body uses Human Growth Hormone (HGH). The presence of insulin in the bloodstream inhibits the release of HGH. To stimulate the release of HGH from the pituitary gland, do not eat a carbohydrate meal near bedtime. If you are hungry, eat a small protein meal before bed, plain yogurt, chicken breast, egg whites etc. Or foods with a very low glycemic index such as an avocado. http://www.carbs-information.com/glycemic-index.htm#gi

HGH release is stimulated by exercise and fasting, or when we are low on glucose in the blood and the pancreas is not producing insulin. The pituitary releases higher amounts of HGH while we sleep than while we are awake, if insulin is not being secreted by the pancreas. The highest HGH release comes during deep sleep, so lack of sleep affects the ability to burn fat stores. Sleep apnea is an enemy to weight loss.

As we age (after age 40) the pituitary gland slowly starts to cut down how much HGH it produces. Hence we have an increasingly difficult time burning excess fat stores.

Apart from increasing height in children, growth hormone carries out many other metabolic functions such as increasing calcium retention, strengthens and increases the mineralization of the bone, increase in muscle mass through the creation of new cells, promotes lipolysis, resulting in reduction of the adipose tissue (body fat), increases promote synthesis and stimulates the growth of all internal organs, reduces the liver uptake of glucose, an effect that opposes that of insulin, helps in the maintenance of pancreatic islets, promotes liver gluconeogenesis (glucose generation), plays a role in fuel homeostatis and it also stimulates the immune system. (http://www.jintropin.cn/hgh.html)

Bottom line, stop eating carbs late at night if you want to burn body fat.

Read more: How Does Human Growth Hormone Work? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4759518_human-gr owth-hormone-work.html#ixzz1prKqNa6A
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    Bottom line, stop eating carbs late at night if you want to burn body fat.

Read more: How Does Human Growth Hormone Work? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4759518_human-gr owth-hormone-work.html#ixzz1prKqNa6A

All of these rules make me just not want to eat period and this is why so many people fail at getting their weight down because of restrictions.... I have not seen any study that says carbs at night makes you fat. It may not be as simple as caloric balance but if one rules out any medical issues then to me caloric balance is essentially the key to get the person moving. Or the person is simply eating too much of the wrong foods AKA too much junk.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I also drink a bunch of beers before bed. It really helps with weight loss. :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Eating right before bed has always been a no-no when it comes to losing weight. Downing a few hundred high-glycemic calories right before hitting the sack is a recipe for a sure insulin response nightmare. All those carbohydrates ingested are quickly converted to sugar and your body's response is to flood your bloodstream with insulin in an attempt to lower your blood sugar levels. Where do the sugars go? Yes, you guessed it, right to your thighs in the form of fat.

But, not all foods right before bed are necessarily bad for you. In fact, eating protein right before bed has been a practice of elite level bodybuilders for decades. If you don't put protein into your body before you go to bed, your body will run out of protein about 2 am. Once your body digests all of its available protein, your body thinks it is starving itself. To protect you, your body shuts down and starts storing fat cells. The sugar in your blood still needs protein to keep you going, so it starts consuming the only protein source available, your own muscle mass. Basically, you are storing fat and eating muscle.

By drinking a high protein smoothie just before you go to bed, the added protein will support muscle growth for up to 4 to 5 hours. Now the process is reversed for most of your sleep time. Rather than storing fat and eating muscle, the protein allows your body to burn the fat at its normal rate while building muscle.

By eating protein right before bed, you will get a better night sleep and wake up more alert and less hungry in the morning.

(taken from http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/diet-nutrition/123935-why-drink-protein-shake-before-bed.html)
    (I did take out the info on the egg white shake... check out the link for that recipe)

BTW - my trainer suggests (and I practice) simply having a scoop of your favorite protein powder mixed with water, instead of adding in tons of calories from milk and other foods/flavors.

;)

there's so much wrong there, I simply don't know where to start.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend only drinking 58% of the whey protein shake.