FORGET counting calories!

Options
Hello everyone,
I'm 5'4" and my weight hovers around 120lbs. I'd like to drop another 5lbs if possible and my overall goal is to tone up in a visible way. I'm now sticking to a program of cardio 3x a week and endurance training 4x a week where in the past I have never had that consistency.
Do you think that if I relax about my eating and stop counting calories I may actually do... better? And reach the results I want?
During the day I'm weighing and counting and stressing which typically results in a binge brought on from stress or the feeling of deprivation. The binge will likely be crackers or cookies... something high in sugar/simple carbs.
Funny enough, most of my food cravings dunring the day are very healthy like oatmeal, fruits, smoothies... nothing refined or too calorie dense.
Do you think that if I listen to my body and eat without ALLLL the stress, I can still obtain my results?
Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I was essentially in the same place as you a couple years ago. I ran every day and stayed under my calorie intake the majority of the time. I just stressed, stressed, stressed. Then I blew my knee out and couldn't run for a month. I also realized how unhealthy my mindset was - it was a vicious cycle and I hated feeling awful after a binge. And even though running gave me a six pack, I wanted more muscle.

So I started going over my calories by about 300-400 and lifting. I got to my lowest BF% ever, kept the abs and got even better looking arms and legs.

I still do this and only do cardio maybe 1-2 times a week, if that.

Edited: I should note that I didn't stop eating healthy. But I definitely feel better about eating a big piece of chocolate cake when I want it. And I still look the same after.
  • hmoore202
    hmoore202 Posts: 15
    Options
    I never counted calories prior to using MFP and i was able to lose over 26lbs. I'm 5'1'' and was 149 at my heaviest. I was able to get down to 123lbs. I just make sure i eat every 2-3 hrs throughout the day and i make healthy choices when i do eat. I try to choose foods that have the most bang for the buck in terms of nutrition value (sweet potatoes instead of regular for example). I eat pretty clean, but i do allow myself a sweet treat every now and then, otherwise i would totally binge. Everyone is different, so the most important factor is how you feel. Listen to your body, eat if you are hungry and just make sure it is a healthy choice. As long as you stick to that and exercise regularly you should be fine.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think you should look for other binge triggers besides calorie counting. It's really a pretty simple chore once you've done it for a while.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If its a stressor for you, maybe its a good thing to back off of now. You're at a healthy weight, and paying attention to your body....you can always start tracking again if you feel like you're losing grip. Good luck!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think that mental health is important and if you believe that the act of counting calories is causing you to binge, then stop counting.

But, you may be incorrect as to the cause of the binging. It could just be that you're using too strict of a plan, or a number of other reasons.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    A lot of my stress disappeared when I raised my calories to 1700 and changed my eating around a little bit - very light breakfast or milk, wait to eat lunch until later in the day (2pm-ish), then I am more full in the afternoon and have plenty of calories for an afternoon snack and a big dinner.

Still losing. Sometimes you have to tweak your plan. But sometimes you have to stop entirely for a bit and give yourself a break.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you think that if I listen to my body and eat without ALLLL the stress, I can still obtain my results?
    Thanks for the feedback!

YES!! You can't go crazy and eat everything in site, obviously. But you can listen to your body and feed it when it wants to be fed and lose weight. I know it's possible because I lost 25 lbs that way before I'd ever heard of MFP.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    You don't mention resistance training. Lifting weights does help if you aren't doing it now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Do you think that if I relax about my eating and stop counting calories I may actually do... better? And reach the results I want?
    You haven't been logging any food since March. How about you just tell us how it's been working for you?
  • ritchiec01
    Options
    The last 5 to 10 pounds is always the hardest and it is important to count your calories at that point if you want to reach your goal. I would even go so far as saying that its more important to count them then than when you have a lot of weight to lose. Because when you have a lot to lose the smallest changes make a difference. Whatever your maintenance caloric intake is subtract it by 500 a day. Then make sure your eating fat burning foods and doing H.I.I.T. on your cardio sessions. That along with your resistence training will get you where you want to be. And as far as your resistence training routine make sure to switch it up every 1 or 2 months to get continuous results.
  • nemolani
    nemolani Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in the same position as you, and I know that this forum is pretty old, what helped you?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you are eating the right foods, you don't need to count calories. Humans, like all animals, wont overeat, or undereat, in their natural environments. As long as you are eating the whole natural foods that humans have been eating for thousands of years, your body will count calories naturally. The only reason people need to consciously count is when they eat artificially concentrated foods not found in our natural environment.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position as you, and I know that this forum is pretty old, what helped you?
    It might have been better for you to just start your own thread.

Yep. OP has not been around for awhile.
    I think that as long as you are eating the right foods, you don't need to count calories. Humans, like all animals, wont overeat, or undereat, in their natural environments. As long as you are eating the whole natural foods that humans have been eating for thousands of years, your body will count calories naturally. The only reason people need to consciously count is when they eat artificially concentrated foods not found in our natural environment.

:huh:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

lol.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

lol.

+2

Yea, all these fit people counting calories, hitting their macros, and not worrying about WTF "artificially concentrated foods" means, are clearly doing it wrong . . . :laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    nope_zps8c1e72c6.gif