HCG Ultra - What's the big deal?

Options
rchupka87
rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
Before anyone jumps me here, I am not taking the stuff, and I don't plan on it. But a few of my friends have been on it for a few weeks, and have had some amazing results. One is on week 3, eating 1200 cals a day, walking for 30 minutes, and is down 18 pounds.

I am aware that loosing weight that quickly is not healthy, and will most likely return. Which is why I personally am not taking it. But I have seen strong opinions on both sides of the issue. I have read reviews of people that swear by it, and others that say it can kill you. I tried to search the forums for any information on it, and it looks like the one thread I found was shut down by an admin after 3 posts.

So - has anyone taken this stuff? Does it work, does it not, will it make my friend grow a third leg? What's the big deal?

Replies

• rchupka87
    Options
    Really? No one?
  • Pinkemi
    Pinkemi Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Maybe people are worried to comment on this thread incase it gets shut down. ;-)

I haven't heard of the stuff so can't comment. Sorry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    If you're not planning on taking it, then why do you need to know about it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rchupka87
    Options
    Because I am concerned for my friend. She has dropped 18 pounds in 3 weeks. If this stuff is going to kill her, I wanna know about it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Because I am concerned for my friend. She has dropped 18 pounds in 3 weeks. If this stuff is going to kill her, I wanna know about it.
    It's EXTREME calorie deficit. That's basically it. Losing 6lbs a week (unless she's well over 350lbs) isn't safe to do. So intervene if you can.

IDEA Fitness member
  • pseusie
    pseusie Posts: 16
    Options
    She's doing it under doctor's supervision, right? I also have a friend who's having success with this diet, but she's seeing the doc once a week to get checked up and make sure she's doing okay. Her results have been more like 2-3 pounds a week (I think it was probably a little more at the very beginning).

Personally, I don't plan to do this diet because my body and hormones are already in enough fights. I do think, though, that it can be done healthfully, and my friend's plan involves a very monitored maintenance period, so that should hopefully help avoid the immediate yo-yo effect.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You said:
    "a few of my friends have been on it for a few weeks, and have had some amazing results. "
    You want to try it. Admit it.
    Go for it, but don't bring HCG into MFP
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    effects are, but not limited to: hair loss, weight re-gain, lean muscle mass loss... these are not things I'm willing to play around with.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Some people need a magic pill....or pregnant lady pee because they are too weak to really do it on their own.
    Its not healthy, nor is it smart.

It is her choice...and a poor one at that.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am currently pregnant and cannot imagine why anyone would willingly want to take HCG :)
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    well my body is full of HCG hormones at the moment and I seem to be gaining weight everyweek. LOL. Not sure how pregnant lady pee helps people lose weight cause I don't even have to take those darn things and I'm gaining weight like crazy. I assume the calorie deficit and exercise are the things that are doing the trick, not HCG hormones. Just my 2 cents from being full of those hormones and having no success with losing weight. lol
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I had a family friend take the shots and she lost a LOT of her hair while on them. That can't be good for you.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I am currently pregnant and cannot imagine why anyone would willingly want to take HCG :)

lol... ditto
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    well my body is full of HCG hormones at the moment and I seem to be gaining weight everyweek. LOL. Not sure how pregnant lady pee helps people lose weight cause I don't even have to take those darn things and I'm gaining weight like crazy. I assume the calorie deficit and exercise are the things that are doing the trick, not HCG hormones. Just my 2 cents from being full of those hormones and having no success with losing weight. lol

ditto :)
  • rchupka87
    Options
    Ninerbuff - If you would have actually read my first post, you would have known why I was asking. You would have known that I am aware that losing that much that quick isn't the healthiest thing. And you would have known she's not doing an "EXTREME" calorie deficit. She is doing 1200 cals a day - which is not different from what so many people on this site are doing. Thanks for your advice though.

And Pseusie - thanks for the info. She lost more in the begininng than she is now. I will have to ask her if she's seen her doctor, and suggest that she goes if she hasn't. She is an adult, and I didn't want to go lecturing her about you shouldn't do this - and try to force my way of losing weight on her.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My mom and cousin have been doing it for a while. My mom lost a bunch but it has slowly come back on. Not to mention she was hospitalized with vertigo and lost her vision for 24 hours and have to have all kinds of fluids pumped into her from the diet.

This has cost me and my cousin our friendship. She just graduated college as a med assitant and works at a clinc. They do patrnity and drug tests as well as HCG and diet products. She is 5/6 and a size 4 and did one round of HCG, lost about 20 lbs and within a month has gained back 15. When she pointed this out last weekend, I told her it was because she lost too fast and in an unhealthy way and it was just wter weight coming back on from the HCG diet. She said, 'well I'm starting another round Monday."

I serious want to beat the **** out of any idiot who uses this crap. They are insecure, lazy and looking for a quick fix without any effort or work.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    it doesnt work, the calorie reduction is what makes you lose, but like you said, its not in the healthy way and it will return once you start to eat normal again
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    The same way dirt works.
    Step One: swallow 4 grams of dirt first thing in the morning.
    Step Two: don't eat.
    Step three: Exercise

And if this is too slow, amputate your arms and legs for faster results.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    smoking cigarettes is very relaxing. they say it's bad for you. but everybody's different.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, because they don't feel hungry on it and it retains muscle while burning fat!!!!!

IDEA Fitness member
This discussion has been closed.