tips for helping drink water

Options

Replies

• BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When you feel hungry, try drinking water first. If you feel hungry 20 mins later, eat. Being thirsty can be confused for being hungry.

Keep a water bottle or cup with water around you at all times. When you see it, take a small sip or something to get in the habit of drinking it.

Challenge yourself to do more. Being a male, super easy to compete hard with my previous day. But being competitive isn't gender specific, so measure yourself against yourself and try to beat yourself.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Start by filling a glass with water....
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You really do have to force yourself. You will get used to it. I hated water. Absolutely loathed it. Now it is a completely different story!

I would try the OP rule about forcing yourself to drink it before anything else. If you are a coffee drinker, like me, you will get some water in first!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend any add ins but I do recommend investing in a plastic tumbler with a straw. For whatever reason, having the see through tumbler and straw makes all the difference for me drinking water. I now drink at least 5 full 32oz tumblers of water a day!

this. it sounds crazy, but it works. just make sure you get the BP free plastic.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    Use a clean glass or cup.
    Fill from the tap by holding the glass under the faucet and opening the Cold water valve
    Be careful not to overfill. When drinking receptacle is nearly full, shut off the cold water valve.

This next part can be done sitting down or standing up. If you are just starting out, we recommend sitting down in order to avoid injury.

Hold glass with the hand of your choice and in a slow, steady motion, raise it until the rim of the glass is level with your lips.
    Press the rim to your lips
    Tilt the glass toward you until water enters your mouth. It will take some practice and finesse to get the right amount of tilt.
    Tilt the glass back again so that it is perpendicular to the ground
    Swallow the water
    Repeat the previous 3 steps until the glass is empty.

If desired, the glass can be "refilled", and the whole process repeated. Stay tuned for my 3-part series, "Water Refills. Fluid Dynamics and Hydration Made Easy", where I will cover refills in depth.

So damn funny.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Get a double insulated cap...drop in ice....add water....drink....repeat when empty.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    Drinking water isn't such a big deal for me. But oh my goodness, I'm having to "go" all the time. I'm getting about 6 cups a day. I'm afraid to ramp it up to 8. Am I over hydrated?

Check urine color. If you are light yellow/clear, you're hydrating well enough.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Drinking out of bottles help.
    I take a 1.5L bottle of water into work with me and give myself until I leave to finish it.

Like someone else has said, If you cut out the sugar drink or carbonated drinks (or even dilutable juices) then you end up craving water more.
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Why not try and commit to a habit of drinking a full glass of water before every meal? You'll get your water in you, savour your meal more, and feel more satisfied :)
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly but since buying a water bottle with a straw, my water intake has doubled. Not sure why but when I use a straw, I seem to drink more with each sip. Give it a try!
  • celieber
    celieber Posts: 9
    Options
    I love the POLAR flavored sodas. The orange-vanilla flavor is particularly great --- it tastes like a creamsicle. The soda has zeros down the nutrition facts including 0 calories, 0 sodium, etc. JUST LIKE WATER but tastes really good.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I just drink beer instead. It's mostly water.
  • kuhayetee
    kuhayetee Posts: 41
    Options
    I carry around a 24 oz (3 cups per water bottle) everywhere I go and you end up drinking it out of boredom :) Get a good waterbottle and that will help you want to drink water (for example, camelbak is a GREAT brand, i suggest you try it :) )
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    As with most enjoyable things....Swallowing wins.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job so I ended up getting this 32 oz bottle from VS. I start my day off with ice water in it. I'm usually done with that within 2 hours. I repeat that until the end of the day.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This may sound funny, but I have been staying home (due to a leave of absence) so I keep a bottle of water on my bathroom sink, every time I have to go pee, I slam that water while I'm in there, and fill it back up for the next time. LOL

It keeps me going to the bathroom, before you know it, you have completed your 8 glasses in four trips. Each bottle is 2 cups of water :)

I also brew a big pot of green tea at the start of each week on the stove, let it cool and pour it into a milk gallon in the fridge. I fill two bottles of water up with that and drink those each day too. Green tea speeds up weight loss. No more than 4 cups a day though. It usually takes me 4 days to drink the gallon. :)

Good luck
  • Kateheifner
    Options
    Similar to other comments, I add different things to my water to make it more interesting to drink. I use lemon slices, lime slices, strawberries, blueberries, and cucumber. You can have the water sit with the fruit soaking overnight for more intense flavor :)

Sometimes I also switch up what I'm drinking out of - a glass, water bottle, different water bottle, etc. For some reason that seems to help at times!

Also, while I'm at work at a desk all day, I set water drinking goals for myself, such as 1 glass per hour.
  • lrlnss
    lrlnss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Buy a Camelbak water bottle!!! (http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-BPA-Free-Better-Bottle-Valve/dp/B0019DCD7U)

I bought one a few months back and I drink sooo much more water now!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I used to really struggle with this too. But I forced myself to do it and now I love water. I cant stand sweet drinks , (I know,I am lucky in that respect - I really don't enjoy fizzy drinks at all, unless I'm hungover!) I also drink lots of fruit a herb teas.

I have an app on my phone that reminds me to drink water every hour or so, until I've reached my daily quota. It's really helpful. Called 'drink water' - if you struggle I would seriously recommend using it :)
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Use a clean glass or cup.
    Fill from the tap by holding the glass under the faucet and opening the Cold water valve
    Be careful not to overfill. When drinking receptacle is nearly full, shut off the cold water valve.

This next part can be done sitting down or standing up. If you are just starting out, we recommend sitting down in order to avoid injury.

Hold glass with the hand of your choice and in a slow, steady motion, raise it until the rim of the glass is level with your lips.
    Press the rim to your lips
    Tilt the glass toward you until water enters your mouth. It will take some practice and finesse to get the right amount of tilt.
    Tilt the glass back again so that it is perpendicular to the ground
    Swallow the water
    Repeat the previous 3 steps until the glass is empty.

If desired, the glass can be "refilled", and the whole process repeated. Stay tuned for my 3-part series, "Water Refills. Fluid Dynamics and Hydration Made Easy", where I will cover refills in depth.

This was HILARIOUS by the way.....LOL