tips for helping drink water

Options

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I used to hate plain water but I got used to it and now I crave it!
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty and no more! Or go ketogenic... THAT will make you want to drink water.
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I swear by the straw thing! I drink at least 120 oz of water at day (nothing added). I also take my water bottle with me everywhere. Even if I'm going to the store and I will tell myself silly little things like, you need to finish your water by the time you get home. Sounds crazy, but it works. Also, I know where every restroom is within a 20 mile radius of my home!
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    the only tip you need....drink water when you are thirsty....dont drink when you are not...
  • brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Use a clean glass or cup.
    Fill from the tap by holding the glass under the faucet and opening the Cold water valve
    Be careful not to overfill. When drinking receptacle is nearly full, shut off the cold water valve.

This next part can be done sitting down or standing up. If you are just starting out, we recommend sitting down in order to avoid injury.

Hold glass with the hand of your choice and in a slow, steady motion, raise it until the rim of the glass is level with your lips.
    Press the rim to your lips
    Tilt the glass toward you until water enters your mouth. It will take some practice and finesse to get the right amount of tilt.
    Tilt the glass back again so that it is perpendicular to the ground
    Swallow the water
    Repeat the previous 3 steps until the glass is empty.

If desired, the glass can be "refilled", and the whole process repeated. Stay tuned for my 3-part series, "Water Refills. Fluid Dynamics and Hydration Made Easy", where I will cover refills in depth.
  • brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Love this!! It ranks up there with an Engineer guide to cats!! lol
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    the only tip you need....drink water when you are thirsty....dont drink when you are not...

Exactly! You shouldn't have to force yourself to drink water. If you are peeing all the time you're drinking too much.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Drinking water isn't such a big deal for me. But oh my goodness, I'm having to "go" all the time. I'm getting about 6 cups a day. I'm afraid to ramp it up to 8. Am I over hydrated?

i drink 6 cups ALONE during my workouts! :noway: drink more water!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Here is what I did.
    I ceased drinking sodas - period.
    I drink fresh juice with meals, green tea or water iced with a lemon.
    I count it all as water. At day's end, it's simple.
    You just do it. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Exactly! You shouldn't have to force yourself to drink water. If you are peeing all the time you're drinking too much.

whats considered all the time? thats pretty subjective.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I set time limits....1st 32 oz bottle by 10am, 2nd by lunch (usually 1pm), 3rd by the time I get home(5pm)...and number 4 by the time I go to sleep(10pm)...last one is the easiest because I go to the gym after work and usually end up drinking it all while I'm there.
  • sweetp809
    sweetp809 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yes i have a straw in my cup and i do agree for some reason it does help. I want to thank all of you for some great ideas. i may try the fruit juice idea.
  • skinnynerd
    skinnynerd Posts: 110
    Options
    If a bottle of water is ice cold it only takes me 10 minutes to drink it. If it is room temperature it wil ltake me all day.
  • cheesebigot
    Options
    1/3 glass of ice, 3-4 mint leaves (fresh), fill with water. Especially on hot days, the mint water is particularly refreshing.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I drink A LOT of water daily!!! But I have noticed drinking from a straw helps a lot and sometimes I add a slice of lemon or crystal light just for a change. Eventually everything else will be grose and water will be all you want to drink. :)
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I used to get Kidney stones all the time (I have had 17 so far, and still have 9 that I know of floating around in my kidneys) and my urologist told me I was not drinking nearly enough water. He gave me some tips that worked immediately!

1.) Chug an entire glass of water before you go to the bathroom when you wake up in the morning.
    2.) Then, keep water with you all day, everywhere you go. At the house, in the car, at work, at the baseball game, wherever. Always.
    3.) Sip as needed
    4.) If you have to go to the bathroom, finish whatever water you have with you before you go.

I keep a glass by my bathroom sink. I have a gallon jug that I keep on my desk at work. I use the jug to fill my glass when I get to work in the am. Drink as needed, and as soon as I have to go to the bathroom, I will chug whatever is left in the glass, THEN to to the bathroom. When I get back, refill the glass, and repeat. I usually will finish about 100 oz by 3 in the afternoon. This works. AND, after like a week of doing this, you will find yourself craving water. You will be thirsty all the time. And as you bladder gets used to drinking more, you won't have to pee as often.

Oh, and a clear glass/cup/tumbler and a straw are a definite plus. :drinker:
  • sweetp809
    sweetp809 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Buy a Camelbak water bottle!!! (http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-BPA-Free-Better-Bottle-Valve/dp/B0019DCD7U)

I bought one a few months back and I drink sooo much more water now!

I may have to get ones of those! they look pretty cool. thanks
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Simply keep the bottle of water in your hand - holding it makes you drink more. Especially in the car - I can easily drink the entire bottle of water in the first 10 minutes of my car ride as long as I hold the bottle. Maybe its because I used to smoke but the hand/mouth thing works for me.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Drinking water isn't such a big deal for me. But oh my goodness, I'm having to "go" all the time. I'm getting about 6 cups a day. I'm afraid to ramp it up to 8. Am I over hydrated?

Check urine color. If you are light yellow/clear, you're hydrating well enough.

Agreed. It's pretty hard (but definitely possible) to overhydrate. You'd have to drink a LOT more water than eight glasses to get into dangerous territory.

That said, I never knew the tip about drinking from a straw but will have to try it! I try not to use add-ins only because it's stuff I don't necessarily need. I mean, once in a while it's fine to make your water something more interesting, but I don't want to use it as a way to get in my water. I like my water room temperature, unless I'm really hot, and even then I'll have cold water but rarely ice water.

To be honest about my own water-drinking habits, I have the SodaStream and drink a lot of carbonated water, but I know a lot of folks on here (and in general) take issue with that. Now that I know that little straw trick, I might cut back on the carbonation. Simpler is usually better, and if there's anything I need in life, it's simplicity.
  • loliksic41
    Options
    I heard the advice to drink 2 glasses before each meal. will also help you eat less.