What's your take on CARBS??

Options
124»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My take is that people who have insulin related conditions should probably consume low-ish carb intake.
    My take is that people who do not have these conditions, usually do not need to do a low-carb plan.

Lastly, I do think protein and fat are physiologically of higher importance, but there's nothing magical about low-carb dieting.

^This!

I don't ever think we will get rid of the "carbs are bad" nonsense .... because diabetes is becoming epidemic in the US
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options

Refined sugars offer no nutrional value. They only dump sugar into your system. Getting natural occuring sugars from fruits, veggies, dairy, and grains is the best way to consume it. It is metabolized into glucose and then its sent to the brain, cells, and used as fuel for the metabolism.

From another, unnamed and respected nutrition site:

"Then there are two kind of digestible carbohydrates. Simple carbohydrates, such as refined sugar and fruit, break down quickly into glucose"

There is no difference to the body between "refined sugar" and fruit sugar.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Refined sugars offer no nutrional value. They only dump sugar into your system. Getting natural occuring sugars from fruits, veggies, dairy, and grains is the best way to consume it. It is metabolized into glucose and then its sent to the brain, cells, and used as fuel for the metabolism.

From another, unnamed and respected nutrition site:

"Then there are two kind of digestible carbohydrates. Simple carbohydrates, such as refined sugar and fruit, break down quickly into glucose"

There is no difference to the body between "refined sugar" and fruit sugar.

Boromir-CountCarbs.jpg
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Lowering my carbs is the only thing that works for me and I've tried everything. So maybe you should give it a try and see how it goes for you.

THIS!!!!!! Sugar is often the problem, not the carbs.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz1z1QzHO16

This is a website I found, I usually eat 130 or so or less if I'm being conscious of it, but I see people who do Atkins, like my mom in law and its hard for her to stick with it long term. I just wanted to be realistic about my weight loss and not cut anything out, just eat healthy and as clean as possible and that is something i can stick with. Most my carbs come from good stuff like Whole grains and fruits. MAN O MAN FRUITS HAVE A BUTT LOAD OF CARBS! But In my opinion if you think fruits are bad cause of carbs, you're nutts. Yes don't over do it, but if my apple has 17 carbs so be it, it's an apple!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    What's your take on CARBS?? - I'm thinking I need to try something to shake up my metabolism! I love pasta/breads but I just can't get over the hump! I'm STUCK at 150-148lbs.... :sad:

I'm thinking about trying to cut back on carbs - been reading some articles.....

Thoughts?

Let's think about this for a minuto.

If you could really shake up your metabolism, just like that...don't you think you likely would have gotten yourself killed by now? Because believe me your metabolism encompasses just about every metabolic process in your body.

Now that I'm done being a smartass, carbs are not a problem unless you have some kind of diagnosed insulin issue (by a doctor, not you or your self medicating friends). Your body runs off carbs. Can it go with out? Sure, ketosis is a good diet plan for some folks wanting quick and effective fat loss, but there are reasons you do it in cycles, and you still eat veggies (carbs).

Focus your priorities in meals on proteins first ,then veggies, then fats and carbs. Stick to "good" carbs, complex ones for example such as quinoa, brown/black rice, sprouted wheat, almonds, cashews etc. These take longer for your body to break down and usually come with a whole *kitten* load of other nutrient goodness.

Is fruit a complex carb? nope.com

However, it comes with fiber, some proteins in the case of things like goji berries (complete protein I might add), which make them not as easily accessible to digest in a quick manner. This is why you hear the word vomit of "FRUIT JUICE BAD, FRUIT GOOD".

Don't overthink it though, just prioritize protein and add carbs in after.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. I eat about 140-170 a day. I have thought about going low carb but I really need the energy for exercise. When I go shopping I just buy the whole grain version of anything I can and not worry about it.
  • Balsaboy
    Balsaboy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the simple carbs and you'll notice a huge difference without necessarily having to make drastic diet changes.

Two books that have recently influence the diet I've been eating are Wheat Belly by William Davis and especially Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It by Gary Taubes. I've read arguments against both books and it's worth looking at the criticisms, but after cutting out simple, easily digested carbs like bread and pasta I've noticed a real change in how I eat and how I feel after eating. Most of my adult life as a vegan means meals have centred around pasta, rice, breads etc as the base to whatever vegetable dish I was eating, wash it down with a beer or two and it's little wonder the weight increased for me. As much as I thought I was eating a healthy diet, in the year that I've removed processed carbs and gone low carb, high quality protein and good fats, the weight is melting off. I'm still vegan, exercise regularly and have to think about what I'm eating in a mindful way at each meal, but it's paying off tenfold. It's not easy, and I don't think it's a diet change that you can then just fall back out of, but to me it's been worth it.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    So ok Carbs are bad.

If I eat at a 500 calorie a day deficit, and eat 25g of carbs?

I will lose more weight than

If I eat at a 500 calorie a day deficit, and eat 250g of carbs?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    for me, they are evil. i don't have will power with them. i'm an all or nothing sort of girl. no portion control.
    as long as i'm not eating them i'm fine. but i can never stop at *a few bites*
    i get my carbs from nuts, dairy, and veggies.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love carbs.. they fuel me. Of course, I use whole wheat or multigrain carbs.. I shun white carbs. I dropped 50 pounds and my diet was around 60% carbs.. I began running and used carbs properly to fuel those runs. The pounds melted off.