I'm eating healthier but still gaining fat? :/

Options

Replies

• alicepoppyh
    Options
    Well you may find a healthier diet may lead to you putting on a little more fat, but that's not a bad thing, you'll still look beautiful even with a bit more fat. And gaining muscle is great too. I'd agree with people saying you should try and get in some weight training, but do take it into account and up your food intake after big sessions.

And don't mind the people giving you crap, you were clear in saying you've increased your food intake.

x
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In order to eliminate the flab, you should concentrate highly on weight training and aim to eat 20% over TDEE. You can go through bulk and cut phases. Bulk, you will add muscle and a little body fat, and then cut down to eliminate that fat you gained from eating a calorie surplus. You can look to do programs like strong lift 5x5 as it can help lead to muscle gain.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm with those who point at strength training.
    You do already look slim, and so maybe the issue is that you're losing a little muscle?
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You might feel bloated (or "fat") because of the types of foods you're eating. I find that if I eat a lot of wheat, then I feel bloaty. I'm just flirting with a grain-free diet now, and I don't really get that feeling anymore. Maybe try adding in some raw veggies to your snack? Also, in terms of healthy ways to add calories, what about nut butters? (I just tried coconut butter and it is probably the most delicious thing I've ever eaten!) You could also eat avocados (if you like them)-- for example, make a quick guacamole and put it on grilled chicken or fish. Look at my diary if you want ideas. I'm finding even more that it's what I eat rather than strictly calories alone.

There's a book called "Wheat Belly" that a friend of mine read and recommended that discusses these ideas in a LOT more depth.

Take care of yourself <3
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yup, if that's your photo, you seem to be way too thin- those bones showing on the ribs and collar bones... The photo looks really frail and unhealthy.

Your food diary looks perfectly respectable - protein, fruit, calcium, enough calories over all, regular meals and snacks. I've got no idea how someone could eat what your diary shows and look like what the photo shows (if that is you).

Sorry not to having any helpful advice, but I'm fresh out of ideas on this one, except to worry about your body image...

Good luck and I hope you figure something out!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and for the past few weeks, you've been WAY OVER with sodium and WAY UNDER with water intake. This may have something to do with the "fat" you're seeing. Lower your sodium intake and up your water and you should see a difference within a week.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If that's a recent photo then I'm sorry hun but your look down right unhealthy!!! NOthing but skin and bones!!! Have you seen a Doctor to discuss your nutritional needs and your weight goals??? Please see a doctor!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You are probably just experiencing some bloating from the change (a good change) in your eating habits.

But strength training is also a good idea.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    If i posted a picture of me or any fat person posted in a group of gainning weight wouldnt u descorage them ? Same thing , i need a salad and she needs a cheeseburguer...

Hahahahahahaha I love this!!!! :laugh:
  • sandyyy712
    sandyyy712 Posts: 94
    Options
    Everyone's commenting on my picture, so I'll let you all know that that's what I looked like right before I started to increase my food and eat a little healthier. I have gained fat since then and look a bit different so PLEASE stop telling me I look unhealthy.

I uploaded a recent picture on my profle so you can see the difference that a few weeks and different eating has made.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Everyone's commenting on my picture, so I'll let you all know that that's what I looked like right before I started to increase my food and eat a little healthier. I have gained fat since then and look a bit different so PLEASE stop telling me I look unhealthy.

I uploaded a recent picture on my profle so you can see the difference that a few weeks and different eating has made.

Yeah, there is a difference but I still think it's temporary bloat and not fat gain. How long have you been eating at maintenance?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Sorry but your second picture isn't very convincing either. You are NOT fat.
  • sandyyy712
    sandyyy712 Posts: 94
    Options

Yeah, there is a difference but I still think it's temporary bloat and not fat gain. How long have you been eating at maintenance?

I think like a week and a half or so
  • annabyrne93
    Options
    I hate how it is taboo to make comments on someones weight if they are overweight but some people find it perfectly acceptable to make *****y comments on how someone looks if they're too thin? I agree I think you would look better if you gained a little weight (healthily) and your mood would probably improve too (I read one of your posts from a wee while ago). You are by no means fat in any case !
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    sorry but your way too thin stop dieting, I dont mean to be cruel but you look anorexic, eat for gods sake eat.

^^this. You are way to skinny. Good luck!
  • steffers96
    steffers96 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS COMMENT!!!! I do not think you have a lot of fat to lose - maybe increase your water, possibly you're just bloated? Try a Midol or some all natural papaya to relieve bloating. You look really skinny and I'm not sure that little bit around your waist is fat. Please be careful not to starve yourself and become unhealthy!! :)
    Is that your photo, lovely?

There's not a lot of fat there. You really can't lose more fat, without starting to become very unhealthy. Strength training may help you attain the appearance you're after, but don't forget you'll have to fuel that training.

Take care.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    You may want to read the book "The Wheat Belly" That could possibly be why you are seeing the bloating in your tummy. Taking wheat out of my diet has made a huge difference in mine.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you are still very thin, but you are looking great!! so happy to hear you are eating more/better now :flowerforyou: just cut back some on the sodium and that should help with the bloated feeling :smile: best of luck to you!
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You're definitely looking healthier in the 2nd pic. I looked through your diary and I think you may be retaining water from all the sodium. See if you can add some low sodium stuff to your diet and cut back some. Sodium will make you retain water.

Also, like others have said, add some strength training. I did not look at your water? Are you drinking 8 or more glasses per day?

Good luck.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this to give you crap...I'm saying this because I don't want you to develop an unrealistic view of your body. I know for us women it's easy to do...I look in the mirror sometimes and see fatness...while others think I look great. But honestly...you look much too thin. If I were you, I'd welcome a little extra meat on the bones. Perhaps strength training in the answer? I don't know...but please don't obsess about being thin. I've always been one of those people that thinks skinny is NOT attractive...BUT on the other hand some people are just naturally thin and eat normal amounts of food. I guess all I'm saying is make sure you're being healthy!