A size 6 is plus size...wtf.

kassiebby1124
kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
I stumbled across and article on Yahoo! that said that in the model world a size 6 is "plus sized." What do you all think?

Replies

• MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Well then I'm hoping to get that fat someday ;)!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    It makes sense. Designers generally make sample sizes in 2 and 4 so from that prospective it is a plus.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    Please remember this is model sizes. A 6 is not plus size in the regular world.
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Dang.....here I was feeling good about my size 8. -_-

But I think it sets unrealistic goals for young girls who look to the media for direction.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    I think I should end my life now. Ridiculous.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    While it may be ridiculous we are talking about in the modeling community not every day life

Im a 8/10 and I dont consider myself plus size

/shrugs....while I may not agree with it it is what it is
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Plus size for a model. That surprises you?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    In the modeling world, that's true because "sample size" is a size 2 SOMETIMES a 4. But usually a 2. It isn't the same as "plus sized" in normal people world. Plus sizes in department stores don't begin until about a size 16-18 I believe.

Nobody thinks a size 6 is plus sized in real life. It's only referred to that in fashion because it is larger than sample size. Designers use these thin models to show the garment, as if they were human hangers. Many designers are beginning to refuse to hire models who do not appear to be healthy, which I think is a step in the right direction, but I think the terminology ("plus" sized for anything larger than sample size) needs to be revised.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    One word: context.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    but I think the terminology ("plus" sized for anything larger than sample size) needs to be revised.

Yes
  • NamibianRose
    NamibianRose Posts: 151 Member
    This is a little off topic, sorry for that, but I have a question about sizes...specifically vanity sizing.

Do you think in the modeling world, meaning what the designers are calling 2/4/6 even compare to what are out in the stores?

And would you all agree that larger sizes are the biggest offenders of vanity sizing? I wear a size 12, but I'm convinced it should really be probably a 14 IF NOT a 16!! It's ridiculous.
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Holy hell....than I am an extra plus size at size 10!!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Please remember this is model sizes. A 6 is not plus size in the regular world.

I agree
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    I stumbled across and article on Yahoo! that said that in the model world a size 6 is "plus sized." What do you all think?

Those that say this is so in the fashion world are a bunch of vain, narcissistic, self-indulgent, airy-fairy daydreamers who basically, have absolutely no idea of the real world, the people in it or what is reality.

That is all I have to say on the matter! :drinker:
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    They need to revise the word plus size for a 6. A size 6 would have me in heaven!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    The thing about fashion models is that they're intended to be human clothes hangers - the clothing is intended as the focal point, so it is really not helpful to the designers for them to have any shape or definition to themselves. It's not really a valid example of health, beauty, or realism, and it's definitely not anything to measure oneself by.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Models aren't real. That stuff is just make believe.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    It's a body type/size in an industry where sales are everything. The human clothes hanger effect... that's about right. Who cares what they label "plus size" really? It's only within that industry.
  • CharityAngel
    CharityAngel Posts: 111
    My sisters have been in modeling, and they are size 0. I think it is horribly unhealthy and it scares me, but it is what it is. I do not think that a 6 is a plus size even in the modeling world, because the plus sized models are bigger than that. Whomever wrote that has issues.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Saw the article, saw the video

the model they spoke to (size 14) said that they are using size 6 models to show plus sized clothing in catalogs. So basically, they are using a model who is a size 6, to model clothing for Layne Bryant (whom I believe has sizes starting at 12 or 14? can't remember).