A size 6 is plus size...wtf.

Options

Replies

• pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    A fashion size six is a size ten sold in stores. Just so you know. If that helps at all.

I go to fashion school, so I figured I would chime in.

What do you mean by "fashion size"? Does that apply to high-end fashion, or like, industry prototype/show garments?

fashion size is the size on the runway. the size models wear.
    it's usually called 2 sizes bigger than what is sold as ready to wear in stores (i.e macy's, tjmaxx, etc.). so a 6 is a 10, 8 is a 12, etc. I'm not talking about specialty boutiques, they carry whatever they want, it depends who they buy from.

That's really interesting. I'd never heard of that before! And it is reassuring to know that a size 2, 5'11" model might really be a size 4 or 6, which I still think is unnervingly thin, but better than it originally sounds.

It seems weird to me to dramatically alter the pattern for mass production after show. Is it altered so it fits, lets say a "normal" size 8 person the same way it would fit a "fashion" size 2 model? Like increasing the bust/waist/hip ratios? Or is it altered even further?

The size 2 model is also a size 2 in the stores. They just make clothes bigger all over. When you go shopping you'll actually notice that the more expensive clothes often cut pretty big too. That's why size 0 and 00 were created. They're basically a size 2 and 4.

If you buy vintage clothes they'll appear to be cut smaller but they're just going by what the old sizing measurements used to be.

Wait, what? No, she just said that a fashion size 6 is a size 10 in stores. So it follows that a runway size 6 model would buy a size 10 in JC Penney. Or wait, is that backwards? This is getting confusing.

All that other stuff about clothing sizes I already knew. I used to wear a (modern American) size 2, and have a lot of vintage dresses waiting in my closet for me to fit them again! And vintage dress patterns... the size numbers are even higher!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    A fashion size six is a size ten sold in stores. Just so you know. If that helps at all.

What do you mean by "fashion size"? Does that apply to high-end fashion, or like, industry prototype/show garments?

it's usually called 2 sizes bigger than what is sold as ready to wear in stores (i.e macy's, tjmaxx, etc.). so a 6 is a 10, 8 is a 12, etc. I'm not talking about specialty boutiques, they carry whatever they want, it depends who they buy from.

That's really interesting. I'd never heard of that before! And it is reassuring to know that a size 2, 5'11" model might really be a size 4 or 6, which I still think is unnervingly thin, but better than it originally sounds.

It seems weird to me to dramatically alter the pattern for mass production after show. Is it altered so it fits, lets say a "normal" size 8 person the same way it would fit a "fashion" size 2 model? Like increasing the bust/waist/hip ratios? Or is it altered even further?

The size 2 model is also a size 2 in the stores. They just make clothes bigger all over. When you go shopping you'll actually notice that the more expensive clothes often cut pretty big too. That's why size 0 and 00 were created. They're basically a size 2 and 4.

If you buy vintage clothes they'll appear to be cut smaller but they're just going by what the old sizing measurements used to be.

Wait, what? No, she just said that a fashion size 6 is a size 10 in stores. So it follows that a runway size 6 model would buy a size 10 in JC Penney. Or wait, is that backwards? This is getting confusing.

All that other stuff about clothing sizes I already knew. I used to wear a (modern American) size 2, and have a lot of vintage dresses waiting in my closet for me to fit them again! And vintage dress patterns... the size numbers are even higher!

I think what she meant is the opposite. A size 6 in stores is equal to size 8-10 in runway clothes just like in vintage clothing wherein you will see higher numbers but in reality are many sizes smaller than what the tag says.

So when a runway sized 4 model goes to the regular stores, she would fit in a size 0-2 clothes from there.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    http://www.blogher.com/americas-next-top-model-winner-whitney-thompson-juicy-booty

Whitney Thompson won America's Next Top Model, she is a fierce size 10. They consider that plus size, which is really only slightly more acceptable than the size 6... but I think she is awesome for rockin her curves
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i dream of single digit sizes
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Tyra Banks even said that nowadays if she tried to model as she was back in the day, a size 4, she would never get a job! Personally I think the older models looked way better than the models do nowadays. They're way too skinny now.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    If it's like anything over here the shops make the plus sizes smaller and smaller every year and so they can charge the eath for it as it is "plus size"! :sick:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Tyra Banks even said that nowadays if she tried to model as she was back in the day, a size 4, she would never get a job! Personally I think the older models looked way better than the models do nowadays. They're way too skinny now.

I read somewhere that Alessandra Ambrocio is a size 4 & she looks hot with those abs.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's plus size for a fashion model, not the real world. I'm not surprised or offended in any way. They're models.

Models wear real clothes btw. You do realize that those clothes go for sale eventually right? If you check a website like shopbop.com and also piperlime I think they list the models measurements and current size that they are wearing.
    Really? I thought they wore fake clothes. :huh:
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    I try not to listen to the media and go by what their view of healthy is...will only leave you feeling inadequate. Their idea of what looks nice is not healthy or attractive at all. To look guant and barely surviving on what food they do eat isnt a look I want. For too long they have been pushing whats beautiful... please...those photos are altered. If a size 6 is plus size, even for a model, well they need to take a look at the message they are sending...no wonder we have young girls with eating issues.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'd love to be a size 6! But alas, I'm stuck at a 16 and am not making much progress. >.<
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options

you've got the gist of it. other things are changed too sometimes (like they will re-cut the pattern to make it more simple), but it depends on the designer/production house.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I think what she meant is the opposite. A size 6 in stores is equal to size 8-10 in runway clothes just like in vintage clothing wherein you will see higher numbers but in reality are many sizes smaller than what the tag says.

So when a runway sized 4 model goes to the regular stores, she would fit in a size 0-2 clothes from there.

^yes this. sorry, it was late and I was getting tired.

if you wear a 6 from say jcpenny, on the runway it was originally considered a 10. that's what I meant. I can say that with confidence since I look at our mannequins everyday and my instructors have said it multiple times.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I would look disgusting as a size 0. That's why my weightloss goal is to be FIT, not just thin.
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    Well then I'm hoping to get that fat someday ;)!

LOVE IT
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Then I guess I'm plus sized. I like having some meat, I would look so gross at a size 0 maybe even a 3.

Only dogs want a bone!
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I think everyone will ignore you to be honest. They just want to hear someone bash models for promoting eating disorders while they continue to claim that they're not even "real people" and live in another world called the model world.

I think this posts just make people feel better about not wanting to get in shape and be healthy. Model sizes and measurements are realistic and attainable for their body type. Most models look pretty healthy as a matter of fact.

I find it offensive when the "real women" bash on waif thin women as anorexic, curveless etc. just to cover up their own insecurities. I was also obese before & also accepted the fate that I would never become a model because of the way I was built. However I don't see any reason to bash on those women.

And fyi, rolls of fat DOES NOT equal curves.

You said just what I was thinking! I am grosssly obese (but working on it) and I don't get why people want to hate on people who clearly work to stay that thin.

I believe models get a bad rep I don't believe that most of them have disorders they probably just work their *kitten* off to look so fab!

I could be wrong but good for them and looking so good!!

Whether or not someones body type will allow them to attain such a beautiful body or not there is no reason to be jealous of their perfect bodies....be happy with what you have and if you're not work at it in a healthy manner.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Sad face...I just hit a size 6 in jeans... :(
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Well then I'm hoping to get that fat someday ;)!

LOL
  • Dawn3218
    Dawn3218 Posts: 80
    Options
    I stumbled across and article on Yahoo! that said that in the model world a size 6 is "plus sized." What do you all think?

Is that a US6? That would be a UK10 - not plus size in the real world but modelling isnt the real world is it (thank heaven!!)
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Size 12 Aus is considered a 'plus' size, which is an 8 US.

Size 6 US is 10 Aus... which i think is sort of a black hole in the fashion modelling world.

I'm pretty sure health and fitness models are generally an 8-10 Aus (4-6 US). (Smaller if shorter)