Protein immediately after a work out?

Options

Replies

• LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hierarchy of Importance

When speaking of nutrition for improving body composition or training performance, it's crucial to realize there's an underlying hierarchy of importance. At the top of the hierarchy is total amount of the macronutrients by the end of the day. Distantly below that is the precise timing of those nutrients. With very few exceptions, athletes and active individuals eat multiple times per day. Thus, the majority of their day is spent in the postprandial (fed) rather than a post-absorptive (fasted) state. The vast majority of nutrient timing studies have been done on overnight-fasted subjects put through glycogen depletion protocols, which obviously limits the applicability of the outcomes. Pre-exercise (and/or during-exercise) nutrient intake often has a lingering carry-over effect into the post-exercise period. Throughout the day, there's a constant overlap of meal digestion & nutrient absorption. For this reason, the effectiveness of nutrient timing does not require a high degree of precision.

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing

The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

~Alan Aragon
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Instead of a Protein drink, you're better off going with Amino Acids which are helpful to the muscles. The post workout drink i use only has around 12gms of protein, but I mostly use it because no matter how hard i workout...the next day i'm not sore. I use MHP's Dark Matter.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Instead of a Protein drink, you're better off going with Amino Acids which are helpful to the muscles.

No.

If daily protein intake is sufficient, supplemental aminos do about 1/10 of jack-*kitten*.
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have spent a lot of time researching this with various sources because I had mixed signals. It really comes down to what you are trying to do. The consensus from dietitians and those with an emphasis on body development more so than weightlifting, all indicated that you should wait 30 to 60 minutes.

Here is an article I had ran by my dietitian and she agreed with it.

http://chadwaterbury.com/the-truth-about-post-workout-nutrition/

I have been following this for about 7 weeks now and while my weight has made a slow decrease during that period, my BF% has rapidly decreased.

The following article also helped build my eating routine at the start but I have decreased my carbs based on some issues I have with insulin resistance.

http://muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/fat-loss#19
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Protein timing or (post workout window of opportunity) is a myth that just wont die. So is fast digesting protein for that matter but since timing doesnt matter then it really doesnt make a difference how fast the protein digests anyways.

Read this and make up your own mind.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hell, if your down grill you up a steak, wrap it in tin foil and head off to the gym! You'll look super badass mowing down on a steak after your workout while looking like a beast!

Ha! Love it!:laugh:
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it, at best this is a myth created and studies influenced by the supplement industry. After your workout your muscles will be most likely using the protein that you ate earlier in the day or the day before. Its nuts to think that all the protein you take will be processed and into your bloodstream and muscles within half an hours time.

Actually, this depends entirely upon your metabolism and how efficiently it processes certain foods. You ever notice how some people can eat whatever they want and never gain an ounce, while others gain from just *looking* at a slice of cake? And how some people get really cranky if they don't eat every few hours, while others can go all day on a single meal? Not everyone's body is the same. Some people's bodies process carbs or fat calories better & more efficiently than others. So unless your trainer has done medical tests, take whatever s/he says with a grain of salt. As well as any advice you get from all the well-meaning people on this site. You will have to determine what works for YOUR individual body.

But, with that said, there are some facts to consider, things that are true for everyone:
    1. your muscles are made mostly of protein, and after a workout, they may have been strained or damaged & need some repairs. So consuming additional protein is a good idea for that reason.
    2. the chemical reaction that burns fatty acids in your body also requires amino acids (protein). It's like a fire that needs both fuel and oxygen in order to burn. So if you're hoping that your body will burn some of your fat stores, again, it will need to be supplied with protein to sustain that chemical reaction. If you don't eat enough protein, your body will harvest it from your muscles, and you don't want that.

Now, as far as the time frame, that's the questionable part. Depends on how fast your body metabolizes things, and that's something that's unique to you. My doctor did a five-hour-long blood sugar test on me, and told me it's best if I eat some protein and carbs no more than 10 minutes before the start of a workout, and something high in protein immediately after I finish a workout (again, no more than 10 minutes). But depending on your body, you may be OK waiting longer. In the absence of any medical tests, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to do it sooner rather than later. Better safe than sorry, and it couldn't hurt you, right?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Now, as far as the time frame, that's the questionable part. Depends on how fast your body metabolizes things, and that's something that's unique to you. My doctor did a five-hour-long blood sugar test on me, and told me it's best if I eat some protein and carbs no more than 10 minutes before the start of a workout, and something high in protein immediately after I finish a workout (again, no more than 10 minutes). But depending on your body, you may be OK waiting longer. In the absence of any medical tests, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to do it sooner rather than later. Better safe than sorry, and it couldn't hurt you, right?

It might hinder results. Gotta read the article and the studies provided to make up your own mind.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths
    —consuming a protein shake immediately after training hinders optimal results
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For people saying they hate protein powder with water, try Vega sport performance protein (vanilla) in water, it tastes amazing! It's also a plant based protein :D
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

It might hinder results. Gotta read the article and the studies provided to make up your own mind.
    —consuming a protein shake immediately after training hinders optimal results

Please. I'm not disregarding my doctor's scientific medical tests based on an article written by people who are trying to sell me something. The only "study" he links to comes from an official product review! This article falls into the same trap of assuming that everyone's metabolism works in exactly the same way, and that is obviously not true.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Please. I'm not disregarding my doctor's scientific medical tests based on an article written by people who are trying to sell me something. The only "study" he links to comes from an official product review! This article falls into the same trap of assuming that everyone's metabolism works in exactly the same way, and that is obviously not true.

Here I will quote it since you seem to have missed the references to the studies provided. NOT product review BTW.
    Comparing research that used drinks consumed immediately after a workout (Tipton et al., 2001) versus those ingested an hour after training (Rasmussen et al., 2000), the results are surprising: it seems that post workout meal ingestion actually results in 30% lower protein synthesis rates than when we wait! So every time we thought that we were badass for drinking "as soon as the weight hit the floor, we were actually short changing ourselves. Not a big deal, that’s why we read T-Nation. Let’s just learn, adapt, and move on.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i always try to get it right after but it is usually when I get home
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

While I would agree that it's usually better to follow a doctor's advice over something written on the internet, in this particular case your doctor has it wrong. Ask your doctor to show you the research or study showing that it's important to consume protein immediately or even soon after exercise. He/she won't be able to because it doesn't exist. If you are still unconvinced then I suggest seeing a Dr specializing in nutrition. They are more likely to know what the current research shows. Don't forget, doctors are people too and they don't know everything. GP's in particular are a jack of all trades. They know a little about everything but can't possibly be experts in all areas.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I usually mix whey protein with almond milk.

Yep..same here I use Unsweetened almond milk (doesn't matter with all the flavored powder in it anyway) but it so much more healthy that way and.... one cup = ONLY..... 30 cal. low low fat and no sugar..... Perfect for shakes
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Instead of a Protein drink, you're better off going with Amino Acids which are helpful to the muscles. The post workout drink i use only has around 12gms of protein, but I mostly use it because no matter how hard i workout...the next day i'm not sore. I use MHP's Dark Matter.

yep MHP Dark Matter's the bomb.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this should be posted here vs. food & nutrition, but I'll ask anyway. Tomorrow I start working with a personal trainer. A few days ago during our assessment, he asked about the protein in my diet and I told him that often times after a workout, I make a whey protein shake (at home). He told me it's best to take whey IMMEDIATELY following the workout.. not to wait til I get home, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc. Obviously this means mixing it (with water, most likely) prior to working out and putting it down the hatch directly after we're done.

Does anyone have experience with this? Why directly after working out and not 20-30 minutes later? I could probably utilize google, and I may end up doing so, but I'd like to hear from some of you guys on the matter...thanks :)

There are different theories on this. I tend to believe most of it is nonsense and it works for me to wait until I get home to eat. In fact I don't eat anything before my workout either. I ran 7 miles today before eating and felt awesome. Most days I head to the gym without food and still workout hard for 1-2 hours and then I wait until I get home to eat with usual an errand or two first. It hasn't hurt me or caused me to lose any muscle. I don't use protein powers or all the magic potions and supplements at all and I've achieve great results and have plenty of muscle without all the expensive supplements.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    So...so much misinformed advice here.

First, the study showing the highest benefit of protein within 30 minutes after a workout had more methodology flaws than Sally Struthers' diet. The sample size was pathetic, and the demographic layout was incredibly poor. All bodies react differently. However, there was a more recent study done showing the window of benefit to be more like 24 hours (which makes more sense anyway if you really think about it). I'll see if I can find it.
  • kryslJackson
    Options
    Whey is a derivative of dairy. So even if you take a whey protein powder your still taking in dairy protein. Dairy can cause bloating and cause other digestive issues. Almost everyone in fact is somewhat dairy sensitive, you will realize if you cut out dairy for some time and then add it back into your diet.

I recommend dairy personally if you're trying to put on muscle mass. I also recommend it be local and organic as well. Cottage cheese is a great source of dairy protein because it is concentrated (whey). A 1/2 cup has about 13g of protein versus a cup of milk has about 9.

Whenever I need to cut weight for a competition or want to start showing my abs I will cut out dairy though.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Dairy can cause bloating and cause other digestive issues. Almost everyone in fact is somewhat dairy sensitive, you will realize if you cut out dairy for some time and then add it back into your diet.

This is only true of homogenized dairy products. However, given that whole milk is just as illegal as marijuana in the US, your point is still valid.

Homogenized milk putrefies in the gut. That's where all of the bloating, gas, discomfort, etc. comes from. Whole milk on the other hand ferments, which does not cause said problems. It's not dairy sensitivity, it's government horse****.

There's a reason that most of the strongmen of the last few centuries consumed the hell out of whole milk. There's also a reason that the GOMAD diet will make most people miserable as hell in our current time.
  • shutterbug21
    shutterbug21 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Within the first 30-60 minutes is the ideal window to consume protein to help rebuild the muscles after a workout but that's not set in stone, the difference is marginal really. I know this because I learned it while taking some Exercise Science courses and my soccer + volleyball coaches suggested it as well. I know it's not a scientific study and I'm not usually one to say "i know cause someone told me" but I do trust these individuals and they have plenty of experience with many different people with all body situations. Also my two sisters are into the Nutritional Sciences.

As someone said before, it comes down to your body and how it reacts to what you put into it after a workout.