Embarrassed to exercise

Options

Replies

• lloydenson
    lloydenson Posts: 12
    Options
    I felt the same but when I got the courage to finally go to the gym I realised that there were plenty of other people there that were a lot more unfit than I was. That in itself gave me a confidence boost and I know go 5 times a week.
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK - but I know my uni gym isn't too expensive for the students, so if I get fit enough over the summer that I feel comfortable joining a gym I'll probably do that.

Have you got "The Gym" near you? That's what I'm planning on signing up to...it's from £10.99 a month depending on where you live but it's a 24 hour one which is the main reason I'm considering it as I'm hoping it would be a lot quieter later on. Also noticed if you have an NUS extra card you don't have to pay the joining fee :)
    You also don't have to take out a contract so you can cancel anytime :)

Oh I think there is one where I go to uni actually, and that's affordable (especially if I get a job). It would mean I wouldn't bump into people I go to uni with which is a bonus... Unfortunately the uni of southampton doesn't support the NUS system (which is really irritating) but perhaps they'll be nice and let me use my normal student card... unlikely I know!

No contract is a definite plus, I think I'll look into that once I'm back in soton. :)

That's what I was hoping too! Hate bumping into people...plus it's a lot cheaper than my uni gym...which is £112 for for months :(
    So rubbish that it doesn't support NUS! Hopefully they'll let you use your normal one!
  • mrsingham
    mrsingham Posts: 1
    Options
    im the same as u... i feel like everyone looks at me and laughs,like they thinkin wtf?. a fat lass running?.
    i went to my local gym and felt like a small fish in a sea of sharks... i was so out of place. they were all skinny minis and my face didnt fit!.
    All im doin now is walking faster to school with the kids and when im off college and home i pull my blinds and do exercise vids off youtube...
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's understandable. As a fat guy, I was an easy target for ridicule, and we know people do it.
    Dance, buy a mini trampoline and do calisthenics at home if that bothers you.
    Just get moving.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Just go to a gym and start!!! Nobody else is paying any attention to what you are doing. In fact everyone else is so into what they are trying to accomplsih they are in their own zone. And who knows you might find a few new friends who will keep you motivated.

You are welcome to friend me for support if you like.
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm in the UK - but I know my uni gym isn't too expensive for the students, so if I get fit enough over the summer that I feel comfortable joining a gym I'll probably do that.

Have you got "The Gym" near you? That's what I'm planning on signing up to...it's from £10.99 a month depending on where you live but it's a 24 hour one which is the main reason I'm considering it as I'm hoping it would be a lot quieter later on. Also noticed if you have an NUS extra card you don't have to pay the joining fee :)
    You also don't have to take out a contract so you can cancel anytime :)

Oh I think there is one where I go to uni actually, and that's affordable (especially if I get a job). It would mean I wouldn't bump into people I go to uni with which is a bonus... Unfortunately the uni of southampton doesn't support the NUS system (which is really irritating) but perhaps they'll be nice and let me use my normal student card... unlikely I know!

No contract is a definite plus, I think I'll look into that once I'm back in soton. :)

That's what I was hoping too! Hate bumping into people...plus it's a lot cheaper than my uni gym...which is £112 for for months :(
    So rubbish that it doesn't support NUS! Hopefully they'll let you use your normal one!

Haha my uni gym is about £125 for 12 months I think... but it's a really crap gym, I got a membership last year and only used the pool. Also the 24hr one sounds good to me cos I'm an insomniac so when I can't sleep I could go and then hopefully it might help me sleep better. So thank you for the tip! :)
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I felt so uncomfortable and out of place when I walked into the gym the first time. I kept my head down and never made eye contact with anyone. I didn't have much of a choice though, because I have to strengthen my core to alleviate my back pain (herniated disc). After a while I realised that while people do notice me, they are cheering me on! Everyone that goes to the gym is there because they want to improve their bodies. If I don't go I won't get stronger, and I'll lose weight slower. My personal trainer has even mentioned having me speak to new members to motivate them! Me!?!? I never imagined myself as inspirational, but it feels pretty awesome to know I may have the ability to help motivate someone else to keep going!

I belong to the YMCA, and they have programs for low/no income and students. Most chain/large gyms would I imagine? Even if you call a smaller gym, I bet the owner would work with you too!

I have friends that are professional athletes (one is even an ultrarunner), and they are some of my biggest cheerleaders! People respect and even admire motivation. You CAN do it!!
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Even though I have lost 22lbs and weigh 166lbs now - I feel too embarrassed to run in public, or even be seen in a tracksuit on the way to and from the gym! It is totally irrational I know - to the extent that I put my normal clothes on to drop my son to school, then make a detour to come home and change into my gym clothes before going to the gym. :huh:

Plus I don't speak to ANYONE in the gym! I do in Body Pump though because it is a class - but in the weights room, I feel totally embarrassed, out of place, and in the way!
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was nervous to start jogging, especially as i knew I wouldnt last more than a few seconds! BUT I just went when it got dark, just around the block and before i knew it, I could run for a few minutes, then a few more! then I started going at weekends and if I saw anyone, I would use that as a goal to push myself to keep running until I got past them, even if i thought my legs were going to fall off.. :D and how you have to think of it is that yes you may be all hot and sweaty and red but the people you see are not caring about that, its THEM who are feeling bad because they are thinking 'that should be meee' - think of that..

but yeah I cant face the gym.. now that is scary :D

I TOTALLY agree! I felt like an *kitten* at first running in public, but then I thought, who cares! If anyone has anything to say about it, they won't when I'm done! At least I am out there doing it, and actually, yes, having those people see me running, though I do keep to lower traffic areas, or walking paths where most people are at least working out, gave me motivation to go further! :)
  • tamiehelt
    tamiehelt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym person either. I'm not embarrased per se but do not feel like I work as hard as I can with people around. I get bored on a stairmaster and find it hard to stay motivated. I do my workouts exclusively at home to videos and have weights for my arm routine.

I've found a few great videos at www.hulu.com, a free streaming site. They have lots of yoga and I'm diggin the 'Gaiam's Wake Up Workout The FIRM: Cardio' for a great routine without any props. Occasionally, I get tired of the same thing and do a search for something different.

It's nice to have a free alternative to keep in shape!
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My personal story with running didn't start out that good. When I first started, the neighborhood "mean kids" would shout things out to me that made me feel less than great. So you know what I did? I put in some headphones and kept running. Every other day. I'd wear baggy clothes to hide myself. And now, just a few months later, I'm almost done with C25K, and I'm out there running, wearing spandex.

Everytime I felt judged or heard something derogatory about "fat girl running", I used it to fuel me. I was doing more than everyone sitting on the couch. I was changing my life. And now, I'm stronger, I'm healthier, I've lost a lot of inches, and there's not a thing in the world anyone can say to bring me down.

Do this for you. When you've reached your goals, your feeling of pride will make it all worth it.
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    im the same as u... i feel like everyone looks at me and laughs,like they thinkin wtf?. a fat lass running?.
    i went to my local gym and felt like a small fish in a sea of sharks... i was so out of place. they were all skinny minis and my face didnt fit!.
    All im doin now is walking faster to school with the kids and when im off college and home i pull my blinds and do exercise vids off youtube...

:( I guess the way to do it is to do stuff alone at home at first til you feel happier with how fit you are and then get more public with it. Good luck!
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    It's understandable. As a fat guy, I was an easy target for ridicule, and we know people do it.
    Dance, buy a mini trampoline and do calisthenics at home if that bothers you.
    Just get moving.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:

Calisthenics..? Forgive my ignorance! :D
    d'aww a flower, how kind :blushing:
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    Just go to a gym and start!!! Nobody else is paying any attention to what you are doing. In fact everyone else is so into what they are trying to accomplsih they are in their own zone. And who knows you might find a few new friends who will keep you motivated.

You are welcome to friend me for support if you like.

• roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    If you feel really self conscious I would get a couple of workout dvds so that you can do them in the privacy of your own home, but make sure you get good ones! Jillian Michaels are good!

But to be honest I think if you started going for a run outside I think you'd be surprised at how quick you would be come comfortable to do it. Also, I really don't think people pay that much attention to runners, they might glance just to check where you are if they are driving but then they are past you in all of about 2 seconds so they don't get the opportunity to see you for long anyway! If you have to run past people you'd soon be out of there way in not time at all. I would say if you feel like going for a run then just be brave and do it, once you've done it once you'll realise there's nothing to worry about and won't hesitate in keep doing it.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do - but as long as you're doing something, that's better than nothing :wink:
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would ever feel uncomfortable about anyone seeing me exercise, but then I got injured and put on 40 pounds. :huh:

I used to feel totally at home in the gym, at running races, in the pool etc and all of a sudden I hated the thought. :sad: So I used that as an excuse to do nothing for a lot longer than I should have. At the end of the day, I didn't want to stay this fat and if I wanted to see the benefits I would quite simply have to get over myself.

When I went back to spin I thought I looked like a hippo in lycra and felt such a fraud in my clippy shoes... like "all the gear - no idea"... But you know what...??? Nobody cares. Nobody looks. It's all in your head.

Suck it up buttercup. :wink: :drinker:
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was embarrassed at first, but after going to the gym and doing my thing once, I was totally fine with it. I realized that I'd rather people see my fat butt working out instead of stuffing my face at a restaurant!
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    I felt so uncomfortable and out of place when I walked into the gym the first time. I kept my head down and never made eye contact with anyone. I didn't have much of a choice though, because I have to strengthen my core to alleviate my back pain (herniated disc). After a while I realised that while people do notice me, they are cheering me on! Everyone that goes to the gym is there because they want to improve their bodies. If I don't go I won't get stronger, and I'll lose weight slower. My personal trainer has even mentioned having me speak to new members to motivate them! Me!?!? I never imagined myself as inspirational, but it feels pretty awesome to know I may have the ability to help motivate someone else to keep going!

I belong to the YMCA, and they have programs for low/no income and students. Most chain/large gyms would I imagine? Even if you call a smaller gym, I bet the owner would work with you too!

I have friends that are professional athletes (one is even an ultrarunner), and they are some of my biggest cheerleaders! People respect and even admire motivation. You CAN do it!!
    I see why your personal trainer asked you to motivate others, you seem to be really positive about it all. Well done, it sounds like you're doing great :)
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    I know what you mean. Even though I have lost 22lbs and weigh 166lbs now - I feel too embarrassed to run in public, or even be seen in a tracksuit on the way to and from the gym! It is totally irrational I know - to the extent that I put my normal clothes on to drop my son to school, then make a detour to come home and change into my gym clothes before going to the gym. :huh:

Plus I don't speak to ANYONE in the gym! I do in Body Pump though because it is a class - but in the weights room, I feel totally embarrassed, out of place, and in the way!
    Oh no! Perhaps you could try getting to know people in the class better and become gym buddies with them? It might make you feel more comfortable. Well done for going despite how you feel though, I admire that.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Completely understand, and I still won't set foot in a gym. However, I've started running every second day and I've realised how little anyone cares about what I do! It's liberating. I have a lovely place to run near where I live and people just smile and say 'hi'. Also, what do you think when you see a jogger? I know I always think 'good on them', I never look at them negatively:)