Love this feeling on a low-carb.

Options
Kaylee_Loren
Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
So I don't know if anyone else is on a low-carb diet (mine specifically is NO carbs, PALEO diet) and when I first started it I had to go to my nutritionist because there were times throughout the day when I would be DYING. Felt so drained of energy, headache, and feeling like just eating one piece of bread would make me feel instantly better. But he gave me the scoop:

"When you're feeling sluggish and drained on a low-carb diet, it's because you're body is looking for something to get energy from. And if you're used to eating carbs, which most bodies are, you're body's freaking out about where to get the energy! So, the next place they go is your fat stores. If you notice, after your sluggish hours, you get extremely energized. That's because your fat has LOTS of energy in it. So next time you're feeling sluggish on your low-carb diet, just know you're getting ready to burn fat!"

I love him, and paleo.

Just wanted to share :)

Replies

• jruyak
    jruyak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Loved the share-I need to re-read for inspiration when I am feeling that I MUST have processed carbs. I have been on a low carb/no carb meal plan now for a week and although I too feel at times that I must have a cracker, bread stick....something! I am feeling great, I am sleeping well and have been losing the pounds! Which is keeping me very motivated. Thanks!
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Options
    No problem! Hearing that definitely got me out of my slump and now everytime I'm sluggish I just think of this and it makes me happy & motivated! good luck!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome read! I'm on the atkins, just started last week.... and i've been feeling the same!!
  • sophia5_k
    sophia5_k Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm loving low carb this is the only way of eating that works for me because I don't have to be hungry to lose weight. I'm doing Atkins and I love everything about it.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love this too!
    I will remember it when i have my low times.

debbie
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    thanks for the share. This is very encouraging to know when you are low-carbing.
  • jessmeowww
    jessmeowww Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've tried the low carb, and so have many friends of mine. Particularly Atkins. Everytime you come off of the diet, you gain the weight back. Well, that is what happened to me, and many of my friends. So, now I am just eating healthier.
  • Carlitax517
    Carlitax517 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ughhh what is it about CARBS!!! Seriously!! I have been doing low carb as well, and sometimes all i can think about is bread and cheese!!! And yes, once i gave in to some saltine crackers, GOOD HEAVENS! You'd think i was eating a pastry!!! Back on the low carb bandwagon now, and I will definitely keep your advice in mind!
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Options
    I've tried the low carb, and so have many friends of mine. Particularly Atkins. Everytime you come off of the diet, you gain the weight back. Well, that is what happened to me, and many of my friends. So, now I am just eating healthier.

That's very true, you will gain weight when you go back to eating refined carbs. However, I'm not on a diet. This is the LIFEstyle I've chosen for LIFE :)
  • crooks_RN
    crooks_RN Posts: 69
    Options

Most people who go off any diet eventually gain some weight back!!! That being said, I started low carb last year and lost 38 pounds and have kept them off since then! I am not sticking to the very low carb diet as I was then but I do limit my carbs! What works for some doesnt work for others! The feeling with the low carb is rough but after a while, just like the others stated, you begin to feel better! Congrats on your loss!
  • thefrahmers
    Options

That's very true, you will gain weight when you go back to eating refined carbs. However, I'm not on a diet. This is the LIFEstyle I've chosen for LIFE :)

This ^^ Besides, it's not like you're never going to be eating carbs again. I'm on atkins and you slowly bring carbs back - the good ones anyways. I absolutely love low carb, i'm in for life as well :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Ughhh what is it about CARBS!!! Seriously!! I have been doing low carb as well, and sometimes all i can think about is bread and cheese!!! And yes, once i gave in to some saltine crackers, GOOD HEAVENS! You'd think i was eating a pastry!!! Back on the low carb bandwagon now, and I will definitely keep your advice in mind!

try oopsie rolls or almond flour buns.. they are bread-like
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    wonderful! I will have to remember this! I always seem to get headaches w/the low carb but will try to tough it out!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Question, how do you do zero carbs? Vegetables have carbs. Do you mean no grains/dairy/fruit?

Do you eat nothing but protein?
  • laughablyginger
    Options
    I'm also on a very restricted carb diet. I got started by lurking on the keto cult boards and deciding to try this wizardry for myself. I've lost about sixteen pounds on it so far, I feel like I have a lot more energy, and my food is lasting a lot longer! I feel like my food is much easier to portion because I don't have to eat as much healthy fats and proteins to get the same fill as I would do with carbs. I remember a time when I could eat two bagels with cream cheese in a sitting and still be hungry.

Now I can just munch on a fish filet with a small side of veggies and feel set for a couple of hours.
  • emisu2
    emisu2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yay I want to be buddies! Have you read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes or The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson? These are essential books if you are doing LCHF.
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Options
    Question, how do you do zero carbs? Vegetables have carbs. Do you mean no grains/dairy/fruit?

Sorry it was a tad confusing. I mean I don't eat any sort of grain or starch carb, no dairy, or sugar, and very limited fruits. I still eat veggies.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

The OP was the read I needed. I'm ready to make this my life, too. But yesterday and this morning (before I ate some protein!) I was thinking wow, I'll stick this out for two weeks, then I'm going back to my semi-low carb milk and coffee diet.

After eating I do feel much better, though. And I read about Atkins flu, so I knew it was probably going to be tough for a week or two. Now I just have to get through it. And buy some darn carb free multivitamins. It's amazing, all the places carbs are hiding.
  • chinee322
    chinee322 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

most low carbers eat 20 grams a day! from veggies, dairy, and nuts.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!