Love this feeling on a low-carb.

Options

Replies

• Kaylee_Loren
    Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yay I want to be buddies! Have you read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes or The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson? These are essential books if you are doing LCHF.

I have read the primal blueprint and I'm an active member on cavemanforum. :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i love ketosis because it cures my insomnia (among other things). i've been sick the last few days and eating carbs.. and i've been up to 5 am! it's really frustrating.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    So I don't know if anyone else is on a low-carb diet (mine specifically is NO carbs, PALEO diet) and when I first started it I had to go to my nutritionist because there were times throughout the day when I would be DYING. Felt so drained of energy, headache, and feeling like just eating one piece of bread would make me feel instantly better. But he gave me the scoop:

"When you're feeling sluggish and drained on a low-carb diet, it's because you're body is looking for something to get energy from. And if you're used to eating carbs, which most bodies are, you're body's freaking out about where to get the energy! So, the next place they go is your fat stores. If you notice, after your sluggish hours, you get extremely energized. That's because your fat has LOTS of energy in it. So next time you're feeling sluggish on your low-carb diet, just know you're getting ready to burn fat!"

I love him, and paleo.

Just wanted to share :)

that's good, but keep in mind fruits and vegetables also have carbs.

I think she mean.. "No carbs", as in the veggie carbs she eat will be canceled out by the fiber in them.

Low carber here and LOVING it.
  • alexandra0690
    Options
    Im going to eat my one piece of delicious whole grain bread at breakfast everyday. I LIVE FOR IT. lol. jk
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Options
    i love ketosis because it cures my insomnia (among other things). i've been sick the last few days and eating carbs.. and i've been up to 5 am! it's really frustrating.

It's so true.. it pretty much has cure every ailment I have, from depression to insomnia.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    thank you... I've been thinking about trying the paleo diet after reading about it on nerd fitness... and I'm pretty much set on trying it out... except for giving up beer :)
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Options
    Some theories are that your body is detoxing like a former drug addict. You crave them and you want them. You feel the need to eat them, when you don't you start to feel tired, and crappy because you're detoxing.

^^THIS. It has been proven that when you detox from carbs/sugars/etc you go through some of the same withdrawals and symptoms that drug addicts do! Even more motivation to get away from that CRAP!

Carbs
    Refined sugars
    Additives
    Perservatives.

I may or may not have made that^ up :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    When you go low carb there will be a period where your brain has to switch over to using ketones for energy instead of glucose. For a lot of people I suspect that's what causes the lethargy and headaches - your body scrambling for energy. It will also start to scavenge for Amino Acids, which will come from your lean tissue if you're not getting adequate protein.

I don't like very low carb diets, I think they're unecessarily extreme and even though they won't hurt you per se, why would you want to give up such a readily available source of energy as carbs. Imo, just like everything else, carbs in moderation is the optimal pathway. I feel at my best right around 40% carbs (The Zone Diet), which is still "low carb" compared to FDA recs.

Anyone interested in low carbing, could do a lot worse than to bone up on Lyle McDonald's extensive info:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

What I'm hoping low carb will do is knock out my seasonal allergies. I've read stories by a few people who had it happen, and even going lower carb for a couple of weeks (not even very consistently) seems to have helped.

If someone had told me a month a go that I'd be out jogging in June, even at night, I would have laughed at them and crawled back into my bed. So maybe I'll finally get some relief and I can quit popping OTC pills and chugging coffee all day just to stay upright and breathing. Cause that just can't be good for me.
  • woman4real66
    Options
    I have tried, Atkins, South Beach and the Zone....In the end, I just ended up gaining the weight back....Your body needs some carbs!! Good carbs. You just have to find out how much of them you need. I just eat fresh and try to stay away from anything processed.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    Im going to eat my one piece of delicious whole grain bread at breakfast everyday. I LIVE FOR IT. lol. jk

once i get to my goal weight, i will join you ;D
    with a sweet potato or quinoa too. yum.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    I have tried, Atkins, South Beach and the Zone....In the end, I just ended up gaining the weight back....Your body needs some carbs!! Good carbs. You just have to find out how much of them you need. I just eat fresh and try to stay away from anything processed.

you gain the weight back when you go back to eating like you used to.. not if you slowly introduce carbs after you're at your goal weight ;)
  • thefrahmers
    Options

you gain the weight back when you go back to eating like you used to.. not if you slowly introduce carbs after you're at your goal weight ;)

AMEN! It's incredible how many people don't understand this ..
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I love eating low carb. I do eat fruit ...but I stay clear of complex carbs....and starchy foods too.
  • ikoiko33
    ikoiko33 Posts: 43
    Options
    I had previously tried Weight Watchers … which most people know, adheres to low calorie and low fat. My problem is that being almost gluten free for the past 2 years, I don't crave carbs and sweets, so after one week of eating nothing but fruit, and blowing my points on a lean steak … I GAINED weight. I was constantly hungry, and tired, and felt sick.

I started Dukan a little over 3 weeks ago, and have lost over 12 pounds thus far. Broken down into 4 phases, it focuses on low(er) carb intake, and lean proteins. I can't tell you how great I feel!! I'm in the second phase, where you alternate days of protein and protein plus veggies … losing 1 - 2 pounds per week until I reach my goal.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am weaning myself of of carbs at the moment. I saw this on Nerd Fitness and have done research since, but I decided I won't go 100% Paleo until my doc says it's ok and gives me a healthy idea to work with. BUT I will say since lowering carbs, I have been sleeping better with lots more energy during the day. I almost DON'T need my coffee in the morning.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I think she mean.. "No carbs", as in the veggie carbs she eat will be canceled out by the fiber in them. Low carber here and LOVING it.

Really? I'm not aware of any vegetables that actually net zero carbs. Care to tell me which?

I'll eat a whole plateful of steamed broccoli, and it still has positive carbs.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Low carb will not necessarily get rid of insomnia or allergies. I have Celiac Disease, so I CANNOT have gluten at all. Getting rid of gluten has done wonders for my allergies.... not so much for insomnia though. (But that is more of an anxiety issue anyway)
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have a question-- on a No-Carb diet, how do you maintain? Will you never eat carbs again? Because I know carbs are stored for short bursts of energy, and once you eat them again, they immediately go back into storage. Won't that mean you'll gain weight back?

Just curious! I've never attempted a No-Carb (or, rather, low-carb) diet. Thanks!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think she mean.. "No carbs", as in the veggie carbs she eat will be canceled out by the fiber in them. Low carber here and LOVING it.

Really? I'm not aware of any vegetables that actually net zero carbs. Care to tell me which?

I'll eat a whole plateful of steamed broccoli, and it still has positive carbs.

Lettuce, mushrooms and watercress net zero carbs....and make a great salad!!

I love low carb too! But I struggle all the time. This topic was just what I needed! Thanks OP!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!