McD habit: must I squash it?

Options

Replies

• GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    I need to squash it too I eat once a month even then its not good. I tell myself their chicken is made of pink slime. that way I train me not to want to eat it. so far it's been working.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You're an adult, and we aren't the food police. You have to work out what you can live with long-term. If that includes lunch at McD's that's up to you.

She is asking for advice, not the food police. Right place too if you ask me

In my opinion the calories are just half the story. Too much sodium, lack of protein, lack of fibre, too much saturated fat, artificial sweetners, addictive nature of fast food, surrounded by like minded people etc etc

I used to eat there as it was convenient however although I miss virtually EVERY food from my previous eating habits, McDs isnt one of them
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's "krap" food but if you must indulge, I would only do it about once every 2 weeks - not 2 to 3 times a week. I get Happy meal, burger, fries and unsweetended ice tea.

PS DIET POP WILL KILL YOU - Aspartame / Splenda worse than sugar !!
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Google how McD's nuggets are made. I'm pretty confident this would cease the habit.

Yeah I gotta agree with this one... and it wouldn't hurt to watch Super Size Me (I know that's WAY more extreme then what you are eating but it did help me get turned-off to fast food in general and helped me to resist eating it).

I personally think that YES you should cut back. I don't think multiple visits per week to McD is healthy even if you are within your calories. I used to eat fast food a couple times per week and it was just not good news... weight gain, sluggish, didn't feel well, etc.

The less you eat it the easier it will be to resist - I swear it can be addicting but if you cut it out you will eventually stop craving it/wanting it all together!

Of course the weight gain came from too many calories, not the McD's.

I agree - I never said it was just based on eating McD alone.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Dont worry, eventually you wont be able to imagine eating there. your stomach will turn and all you'll be able to think about will be what it does to your digestive system and your poops.

True story. Grease is gross.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Lately, for completely unexplained reasons, I've been hitting McD 2-3 times a week for lunch. I eat reasonably (6 nuggets, buffalo sauce, small fries, diet soda == ~550 cals), and usually fit it into my total calorie goal. How bad is this, do I need to force myself to be more disciplined and quit this behavior, or is it okay?

i love mcds and would love to eat there more as it is perfect for low carb.. and i lose when i eat it. i don't see why you have to cut it out at all.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Agreed!!!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Dont worry, eventually you wont be able to imagine eating there. your stomach will turn and all you'll be able to think about will be what it does to your digestive system and your poops.

false. fat is amazing.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i think if it's somethign you do to treat yourself and it' sonly once a week, why not! maybe if it gets more than that you might look at changing it, but if it fits in your calories i think it's fine.
  • terpsoccer
    terpsoccer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly check out the Eat This, Not That series of books that will help you make better choices at a a whole bunch of chain restaurants without killing your progress
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    Not all calories are equal. I'm not a member of the nutrition nazi band, but there's more behind food than just the calorie count.

Some people will chime in saying that as long as your calorie count falls on your weight loss mark, you'll lose weight. Maybe so, Question is, at what cost to overall health? Even hitting the weight target, one might find abnormal sodium levels, maybe cholesterol levels would increase as well and so on.

Not advocating eliminating totally visits to fast food joints if they bring joy to your day, but when the sentence includes words such as "daily" or "weekly", perhaps there's an underlying pattern going. Up to you to decide what/if adjustment is appropriate.

Good luck
  • agerena007
    agerena007 Posts: 51
    Options
    Hey, you not only have to look at the calories, but the cholestoral, fat, etc.. If you really want to have a healthy lifestyle I suggest you cut the McD's. Reward yourself maybe once every two weeks.. Im not the best at this healthier living but I know that the fast food isnt healthy. Wishing you the best of luck! Trust me I know how hard it is, I love McD's..
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You're an adult. If you want to eat at McDonald's every day that it fits or does not fit into your calorie goal, then you certainly can. No one on this site knows everything. But if you are making a life change and not just trying to lose weight, you need to consider what foods you are putting in you body and not just the calorie count. McD's has plenty of fat and sodium. Both are okay in moderation, but these foods contain a lot. You decide. You have the power to do that.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    When I was still eating fast food I fit it into my daily calories just fine and never lost any weight. Once I cut out the crap food I lost weight. My body seems to take the content of my food more seriously than my calorie counts. I can lose weight on high calorie healthy foods but not low calorie unhealthy foods. You can eat whatever you want, but if you stop losing, then you know what to cut out, or at least cut way down on.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

false. fat is amazing.

perpendicular. I was talking about grease.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    2-3 times a week?
    I think you should do an experiment--keep all things the same but have a more nutritional lunch of 550 cals and see the difference.

Let's remember Bill Clinton jogging to McDonalds for his big mac and having a heart attack.

That said--I ate McDonalds twice this week, too.

However, this morning I said no to myself and came home and made breakfast burritos--much healthier and filling than what I would have gotten at McDonalds. I didn't have to buy anything--I already had it all and the eggs probably would have gone bad had I not eaten them.

I actually posted this on my MFP wall this morning:
    2 McDonald's sausage breakfast burritos, large sweet tea and a hashbrown. mmmmmmmm... sound yummy doesn't it? That's way over a thousand calories for breakfast alone.. usually I can save one burrito for lunch, moving 300 calories to another meal but still. This morning the call of sweet tea was loud, inviting and oh so sweet. Still feeling the dehydrating effects of yesterday's frappe (new chocolate chip--so not worth 530 calories--not like a 270 caloried dip cone is worth its weight in cold gold) I knew that a sweet tea would be very very very bad results for my camel-itis (I'll start retaining big time). So home I came, directly and made three significantly larger breakfast burritos for only 310 calories each, 20.333 grams of protein and way less fat since I use Morning Star Farms sausage. :)

Obviously you know the answer you just wanted to double check it. Smart move. :)
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    we have that family habit too. Every Sunday after church we go. I've changed to ordering the premium salads. I love the southwest grilled chicken salad and I only use 1/2 the dressing. I try not to do artificial sweetners, so I 1/2 sweet 1/2 regular tea. If I'm really craving the fries I'll eat the kid fry out of my sons happy meal, he doesn't eat it. I'm not concerned about my once a week trip, but we've had busy weeks when we hit up McD's 3xs and I really try to plan better and keep that from happening.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I avoid fries and diet soda like the plague. But I do occasionally (max twice/month) have a double whataburger on wheat. Nothing really wrong w/ the burger itself, it's the 'sides' that cause the problem.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I am a recovering McD's junkie. When my son discovered McD's, we ate there probably 3-4 times per week. Since February, we've cut back significantly. (That's when my healthy eating plan started). We probably eat there 2-3 times per month now. I found that I can get a kid's meal with a hamburger, kid size fries, apples and water for about 380 calories. It's just enough food to make me feel like I've "cheated", but I don't go over the calories. Sometimes, I do save calories if I know we're going there and I splurge, but not very often. Like previous posters, I find that it makes me sluggish and almost sick to my stomach. Also, about 2 hours later I'm hungry again and have no calories left to eat.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's "krap" food but if you must indulge, I would only do it about once every 2 weeks - not 2 to 3 times a week. I get Happy meal, burger, fries and unsweetended ice tea.

There is nothing wrong with Aspartame. You're spouting junk.