beach safety

Options
13»

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to the beach, particularly, this beach. It really depends.

First, I live at the beach, and I grew up at the beach. So, I pretty much know everything about it. I also am accused of having water babies. My kids grew up on the beach.

Second, most likely, your kids will be scared of it at that age. It's scary to them. So, they probably wont even really go in it much. the most they will go into it will be where it washes up real soft. They will probably wind up playing right there at the edge of where it washes up. There is zero chance of them floating away.

If they go in the water, it depends on the beach. Is it a stong current, is the slope steep, does it break right on the beach, or back a bit. All these things matter, a lot. But, the basic thing is, when you get there, you'll know. You put your feet in it, feel it pull and decide if it's a really strong pul, or just a gentle pull. If it's gentle, don't worry about it. Either way, you should monitor your kids very closely at all times.

Can your kids swim? Do they know "roll and float"? My kids knew roll and float before they knew how to walk. It was important for us because we lived at the beach.

If they don't have any water saftey or swimming skills, you'll just have to be there with them. But, as I said, they are going to likely be kind of scared of it, and they will not just charge in. They will follow your cue.

A leash is probably more dangerous than just keeping a close watch on them. While it seems like a good idea, it could turn out to be a huge mistake. A large piece of seaweed rushes up, gets tangled, and starts dragging both of you out. The situation might be OK if you're strong enough, but it could hold your kids down for a while while you wreslte with it. I would not do that. You should have a floaty device around though, if it is possible.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    meh one of many

none of the online ones can hold a candle to my lil hood stalker, whom we call Strawberry, cause he shows up at my old house with 3 pints of strawberries, jsut because.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious...your kids are not going to float away! Chances are a shark will come by and take a nibble, which in case, the harness really wouldn't help a whole lot.

it will help the shark get a 3 for 1 deal on a meal!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    yoovie: I think you have a stalker :P
    Nope. Don't even recall having a conversation with her before. She seems to know everything about my advice-giving, that's why I said she must stalk me.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Bring someone else-another adult- with you. That simple.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Love this!

l1l3o.gif
    [/quote]
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Love this!

l1l3o.gif
    [/quote]

Me too!!!
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    These responses are hilarious!!! Love them!!

In all seriousness, they're just babies they're not going to go in deep water and if they do assert your authority as a parent and tell them that is not what they need to do. They need to build sandcastles and wade in the waves.
    You're obviously worried but you're gonna worry yourself sick!
    Just put some flotation devices on them--arm floaties, water rings, life vest, etc etc
    Chances are they're not going to go out deep unless you're in deep water and you left them alone to play in the sand or unless you take them out there.
    Leashes can be great but they can be hazardous, too. I wouldn't leash my kid in the water--I'd just make sure they wouldn't drown.
    My daughter wore a life jacket in the pool (& lakes & rivers) until she learned to swim, she never drowned and I never put a leash on her.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Although I never used them with my kids, I totally understand your uneasiness about taking them to an unknown place where there are lots of people and opportunities to find trouble. Some kids thrive on giving their parents heart attacks by ducking out of view the second they look away! LOL

There are a couple different safety devices that you can buy:

One is a harness system that straps around the chest and has another strap to the parent.

The other is a safety wrist strap that has one end that goes around the child's wrist and another that goes to the parent.

Hope you all have a wonderful time at the beach! :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what it would be called or if I will have to make it my self. I am taking my children (3 and 4) to the beach next month. I want something to secure around my wrist and their wrist that will make us attached. We will be in the ocean ( although not very deep) so I don't want them to float away. I would also use it for walking around when we are sight seeing. Does anyone know where I can find something like that? I don't want a cute animal harness because it will bet wet.

l1l3o.gif

My new favorite gif. lol
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You all are a bunch of rude MFs... I guess I should add a P so it could stand for MyFitnessPal. But it doesn't.

"Bunch of MFs" :laugh:
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i take all 4 of my kids to the beach. they are 11, 6, 4, and 21 months. the older 2 go in waist high and the other 2 prefer to just barely go in unless someones holding them. the last time i sat up o the beach and the younger 2 and i dug a big hole in the dirt and watch the water seep in from under ground which they then played in. that seemed more fun for them and me cause it caused less worry. just have to find a way to be comfortable and have fun.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said to just sit them near the water and build sand castles with them and let the water splash on them. While I have no children I can completely understand your concern. I see it all the time when I'm at the beach and my husband and I place bets on how many times there's going to be the Lost Child announcement over the loud speakers. It's scary. You turn your back on your child for one second and they can disappear. With regards to the crowds I most definitely think that a leash-- one that attaches to the childs wrist and yours so you can have one on each arm -- is the way to go. Don't fret too much about your trip otherwise you won't enjoy it.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I understand your concern but I think if you're vigilant, explain the rules, and relax, it'll be fine. I took my boys (4 at the time) and baby girl (2.5 at the time) to the beach last year by myself for a week. Didn't have one problem. They had no real desire to get in really but if they were trying to get shells, the rule was ankle deep unless I was holding their hand...and they had to wait one at a time to go any deeper (just because I had to manhandle three). I think the leash idea, although good in theory, will be a hassle plus an entanglment risk. In crowded areas otherwise, they hold my hand and each other's hands...that's a rule no matter where we go. I hope y'all enjoy your trip.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    OK.
    This is simple really.
    If you are that nervous to take them to the beach then seriously, don't go.
    If the current is strong enough to take the child from you at that kind of speed, then most likely it will be a really rough surf condition and you won't be in the water anyway.
    Ocean currents are not normally very strong on the shoreline on a calm day so the leash will be worthless. Get those arm floaties or a beach type of life vest. They make them where they look like "muscle" shirts instead of those bright orange things.
    As far as the crowd goes, I dunno. Personally, your kids by that age should know better then to take off on you.
    I will tell you flat out. you WILL NOT enjoy yourself very much because you will be hovering over the kids. It's natural.
    Bring various size buckets and teach them to build sand castles. It will keep them close to you, entertained, and out of the real water.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I guess the old saying of fat people are jolly isn't right. You all are a bunch of rude MFs... I guess I should add a P so it could stand for MyFitnessPal. But it doesn't. I wouldn't have them in deep water. My concern would be that while one of them had a problem ( stepping on a shell, sand in the eye, you know things that happen at the beach) and while I tended to them the other one might run into the water. My concern would be if we are walking through the crowds one might run off into the crowd. Things like this are the things that concerned parents think about. It will be their first time at the beach so I need to plan accordingly. All of you rude people or people with bad sence of humors should not post on posts about children.

I see that you're new here, and let me be the first to apologize for the "MF"s. Unfortunately, there's a lot of them, and threads where someone started with an honest question that they were looking for help/advice with, often degrade into free-for-all "lets see how much I can insult someone" type discussions. Not everyone is like that, I promise!

Now, about your question: I grew up on the west coast and currently live in FL and been to other beaches all over the country so I agree with another poster that it really does depend on what type of beach you're going to. Some have lots of rocks, some have lots of driftwood, some have very strong rip currents, and most have lots of obnoxious people.

I recommend doing some research on the particular area before you go. For instance, in Panama City Beach, there's a place at the state park, that's called "the kiddie pool" it's sort of a tidal pool that's landward of the big rock jetty, so it's pretty shallow and the wave action is almost non-existent. Check to see if the location you're going to has a 'kid-friendly' type place like that.

I did use the 'leash' type devices when my kids were little, mostly for travelling. I don't really give a crap what other people think about the means by which I choose to protect my children. However I would NOT recommend using one in the water.

Imagine this scenario: You're leashed to both kids, and you are tending to the one with the sand in eye, shell in foot, whatever... and the big wave you're concerned about comes while your back is turned. The other child gets tangled in the leash, gets it wrapped around an arm or leg, or (god forbid) neck, and when the wave retreats, small floating child on one end of leash, you anchoring the other end, there's a good likelihood of a broken arm/leg or worse, he/she gets held under.

Odds are you can react quick enough to keep your child from drowning, but it will certainly be enough to terrify both of you, and you don't want your child's first memory of the beach to be one of terror.

Good luck, enjoy your vacation, and ignore all the rude MFers around here!