Ladies: PMS weight gain

Options

Replies

• Pilcrow_
    Pilcrow_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Happens me too but it falls off within three days or so. Unfortunately I'm more likely to be triggered into huge carb binges during that time too... I wish that gain would fall off as easily!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It's temporary, don't sweat it. Your weight is going to constantly fluctuate anyhow. Take measurements, make good eating choices, drink water and exercise and it will all fall into place!
  • icedesign1
    icedesign1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dont...I repeat do not get on that scale four days prior to TOM....I gain any where between 3-6 lbs depending on my sodium intake. If I try to keep my sodium consumption down and drink a ton of water the week before I can keep it close to the 3 pound mark. If I dont watch my sodium and drink lots of water it will be six.
  • czuniga03
    czuniga03 Posts: 99
    Options
    Oh yes..3-5lbs a month..I just don't weigh myself during that time!
  • the_prettty1
    Options
    I concur weighing yourself during this time is a total waste of time. Just check when its over and you'll be pleased with the results.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Damn you mother nature...damn you's. Raises hand...due any day now and normally about 5lb gain. grrr
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Finally someone is brave enough to address these issues...I was too shy but I wanted to write about my chocolate cravings....Grrrr....I didnt even complete my food diary yesterday because I didnt want to see how many calories I had eaten....I had my husband pick up some chocolate chip cookies and I binged....Thankful that it hasnt seemed to effect my weight but I dont want to do it too frequently. So...what do you all do about your cravings???
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    Yes I did it shot me back up to 190 because of the bloating. I 've been eating like I am supposed to it. I know its because of TOM.
  • kmayell
    kmayell Posts: 1
    Options
    I definately gain weight before my period, and for two reasons. 1: bloating - yeah, it happens. 2: suggggarrr cravingggggs - i have no problems turning down sugar normally, but for the week and a half before my period it is ridiculously hard, like i have an addiction.
  • gotcabinfever
    Options
    Thank God it happens to everyone else too! I was starting to get really frustrated!
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Does anyone gain weight right before their period? I've been losing weight, and within the last two days I have gained almost 1.5 lbs back. It is so frustrating! Does anyone else have this problem or know how to avoid pre-period weight gain?

yep same thing over here like 7 pounds, week after is the best time for me to weigh in
  • kburgess247
    kburgess247 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The internet claims that during PMS your body actually burns anywhere from 100 to 300 more calories than usual -- think about it: our TOM is work and so metabolism gets a temporary boost. The best way to fight cravings is probably to go on the offensive and eat more high quality foods that burn more slowly (foods high in fiber and the so-called "good" carbs).

Also: it is definitely water weight gain. The main thing to do is to wait out the weight and skip the scale. (I made the mistake of weighing in this week. WHY?!) You might also consider lowering your sodium intake during this time to reduce retention but honestly, if you're doing everything else right, just wait it out.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Yes around 3-5lbs every month, but at the end of the cycle it is gone. I just started a new diet and I only gained 1lb at the start this month! Yay! This means when my cycle is over I should have lost weight... fingers crossed...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yep. It goes away afterwards. Don't worry about it - it's not real fat and not real weight.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yup I gain between 3 and 6lbs of water weight for about a week to ten days along with cramps, cravings, bouts of listlessness, sickness, headaches and a constant but mild fever. Sometimes it's a joy to be female lol
  • gtjessi
    gtjessi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I feel you pain. .I work out cardio/ weight/zumba/body pump and eat a balanced diet. . I ALWAYS gain 6-8 lbs at that time. . most months it will take me a few days after my cycle ends to get back to normal. . it's a PAIN to deal with. . Hang in there. . you'll get back to normal
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well I must be a freak of nature because my weigh day fell within this period, and I still lost my weekly amount?????? :noway:
  • mckellipgirl
    mckellipgirl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I gain every time, except this time. I'm the same.

I'm really hoping to see a loss at the end of this cycle. :D
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I always gain abt three lbs and drop it again right afterwards. I just try to push myself really hard when its that time of the month. otherwise i get mad at my scale. :)
  • mondesa
    mondesa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Minimum of 5 to 7 pounds... Frustrating but it goes away within a few days. First couple months of dieting scared me now i try to stay away from the scale