Six Week Challenge?

Options
Is anyone interested in starting a six week challenge? My birthday is on October 17th and I'm going to be going to Mexico with some friends on the 16th (six weeks from today). I really want to look great on the beach, so I thought starting a challenge would give me some accountability.

I thought we could all give our starting stats (as of today, not from when we started MFP) and then list our six-week goals. We can then set mini-goals each week for fitness, eating, water, etc.

My current weight is 178. Here are my measurements (I'm pretty thorough, you can do as many or as few measurements as you want!):

bust 43
rib cage 36.5
natural waist 33
belly button 35
hips 39.5
butt 42
r arm 13
l arm 12.5
r thigh 24.5
l thigh 24.5
r calf 15
l calf 15

My six-week goal is 170 lbs. That's pretty ambitious for me, even though it works out to less than a pound and a half per week. I just started a heavy lifting routine (The New Rules of Lifting for Women), so I know I might not lose anything for a few weeks as my muscles hang onto water while adjusting to this new routine. Tomorrow will be my first day of week two. I'll be going to Vancouver at the end of next week and my plan is to add in some cardio intervals when I get back.

My mini-goals for this week are to drink 20 cups of water per day (I live in the desert and am averaging about 16 right now) and to get in 10,000 steps everyday (I meet this one kind of sporadically). I also want to make one meal per day a big salad with lots of veggies and to get at least one other veggie with each meal (pretty good about this, but I'm going to really make it a priority this week).

I usually weigh-in on Mondays, but I'm going to switch to Fridays for the next six weeks.

If anyone is interested in joining me, just introduce yourself and post your stats!

Replies

• mskellyw
    Options
    Bump.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in six week challenges you should check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/64793-sixers-sweating-it-off-wk-5

They are at week 5 of their current 6 week challenge and will start another one of Sept 14.

Take care and good luck!

Tammy
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Six weeks is a good start. I need a lot more weeks than that, but it's a nice milestone. So I'm with you. I am weighing in on Monday, so I don't know how that works for you. I want to stay off the scale inbetween or I'll get nuts. kc
  • jlow99
    Options
    I'm in too! I am new to MFP so this would be a good place to start. I need to update my profile soon and I'll add some goals later, just wanted to check in and let you know you can count me in! :)
  • mskellyw
    Options
    Six weeks is a good start. I need a lot more weeks than that, but it's a nice milestone. So I'm with you. I am weighing in on Monday, so I don't know how that works for you. I want to stay off the scale in between or I'll get nuts. kc

Hooray! Thanks for joining me!

I definitely need more than six weeks too! I like the idea of mini-goals though. I can definitely behave myself for the next six weeks--the next six years seems a bit too daunting to think about right now!

I've been weighing in on Mondays too. I was planning to switch to Fridays for this challenge, but if Mondays work better for people I have no problem sticking with that. My last weigh-in of this challenge will be on Friday October 16th though, because that's when I'm leaving for Mexico. It's just a long weekend, but I'm hoping it will give me the motivation I need to kick things up for the next six weeks.

Feel free to post your stats now, or you can wait until Monday of that works better for you.
  • mskellyw
    Options
    I'm in too! I am new to MFP so this would be a good place to start. I need to update my profile soon and I'll add some goals later, just wanted to check in and let you know you can count me in! :)

Great! Thanks for joining us! I look forward to hearing about your goals!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i will start monday to it will help
  • aariel22
    Options
    Count me in! I want to loose six pounds in six weeks. I have been keeping my calories around 1500 and I have strength training at school 2x a week. I jog 1.5 mi every other day and I chase around a 2yo the rest of the time. My previous goal was 147 by halloween, but maybe with this challenge I can get there a week early!

sw 9.04 154
    09.11 - 153
    09.18 - 152
    09.25 - 151
    10.02 - 150
    10.09 - 149
    10.16 - 148
  • everyday
    Options
    Is anyone interested in starting a six week challenge? My birthday is on October 17th and I'm going to be going to Mexico with some friends on the 16th (six weeks from today). I really want to look great on the beach, so I thought starting a challenge would give me some accountability.

I thought we could all give our starting stats (as of today, not from when we started MFP) and then list our six-week goals. We can then set mini-goals each week for fitness, eating, water, etc.

My current weight is 178. Here are my measurements (I'm pretty thorough, you can do as many or as few measurements as you want!):

bust 43
    rib cage 36.5
    natural waist 33
    belly button 35
    hips 39.5
    butt 42
    r arm 13
    l arm 12.5
    r thigh 24.5
    l thigh 24.5
    r calf 15
    l calf 15

My six-week goal is 170 lbs. That's pretty ambitious for me, even though it works out to less than a pound and a half per week. I just started a heavy lifting routine (The New Rules of Lifting for Women), so I know I might not lose anything for a few weeks as my muscles hang onto water while adjusting to this new routine. Tomorrow will be my first day of week two. I'll be going to Vancouver at the end of next week and my plan is to add in some cardio intervals when I get back.

My mini-goals for this week are to drink 20 cups of water per day (I live in the desert and am averaging about 16 right now) and to get in 10,000 steps everyday (I meet this one kind of sporadically). I also want to make one meal per day a big salad with lots of veggies and to get at least one other veggie with each meal (pretty good about this, but I'm going to really make it a priority this week).

I usually weigh-in on Mondays, but I'm going to switch to Fridays for the next six weeks.

If anyone is interested in joining me, just introduce yourself and post your stats!

~~Please count me in !!!! Your mini goals look very reasonable/ doable! I have 11 lbs to lose & 6 wks is a fair amount of time. I am having a hard time to commiting to cleaning up my diet, logging in my foods & counting cals, but I know my work outs wont cut it alone, if I want to see results. I am looking for some MAJOR accountability!!

I took my measurements & weight the other day, so I will post them, next time & work on my weekly goals, also.

So the weeks are from Fri- Thurs w/ Fri weigh-in's?
  • mskellyw
    Options
    Yay! I'm so happy that people are interested in joining me! Welcome everyone!

I was planning to weigh-in on Fridays, so the weeks will run Friday through Thursday. Anyone on a different schedule is free to join as well, they'll just be a bit off from the main group. I'm really just looking to get some people together to create some accountability and support for everyone involved. Each person is free to set their own goals and decide how they want to measure their success.

I plan to post daily and we can start a new thread each week so they don't get too long. Feel free to post about your successes and frustrations, questions, advice, etc. This group belongs to everyone involved, so we can make it what we choose!

I'll start by sharing a MAJOR success I had today. I was just at the mall and wandered into The Gap. I was looking at the sale rack and there was a pair of jeans in the style that I like on sale. I've been wearing a 10, but they were a size 8. I thought I'd try them on just for the heck of it--AND THEY FIT! I was so excited! I haven't been in a single digit size in at least ten years! (And even then it was short-lived and only due to the fact that I was living in LA and was so poor that I couldn't afford food! :tongue: )

Anyway, that felt really amazing and has definitely upped my motivation! My ultimate goal is a 6 and now I'm only one size away! I know I'll have to (literally) work my butt off to get there, but suddenly, instead of feeling like a total pipe-dream, it actually feels doable.

I hope you are all having a great day too and I'm so excited to get the group going!
  • chelsea756
    Options
    Count me in too. This is my first post on MFP even though I've been on here for over a year. I need some motivation because lately it just hasn't been there. I'd like to lose 1.5 lbs per week. My birthday is Oct 7, so I guess this will be a gift for myself. Too bad I can't send myself to Mexico. Hope you have fun celebrating there!

SW - 09.04 - 135
    09.11 - 133.5
    09.18 - 132
    09.25 - 130.5
    10.02 - 129
    10.09 - 127.5
    10.16 - 126

Good Luck Everyone!

Oh yeah, my goal is to cut back on the junk food and run at least 2 miles 6 days a week. Right now I run about 3-4 times a week.
  • everyday
    Options
    Good Morning

After gaining almost 10 lbs from lack of exercise & eating healthy , I am ready to commit to working out and eating clean again. After years of trying over and over to lose those last 10 lbs I finally succeeded last March. 10 lbs does not seem like much but it made all the difference in the world to me. I felt more alive, happier, energetic, sexier and I could fit in all those clothes (skinny jeans) that had been hanging in my closet for years. I just want to feel BETTER & take care of my body!!! I know its possible with diligence & support of a GREAT group, like I found here! I just need to start- NOW!

09/02
    Waist 34" sucked in
    hips 38"
    chest 36"
    arms 12"
    legs 23"
    under chest 35"

S/W 09/02-149

~GOALS
    09/11-147
    09/18-145.5
    09/25-144.5
    10/02-143.5
    10/09-142.5
    10/16-141.5
    10/23-140.5
    10/30-139.5
    11/06-139
    11/13-138.5
    11/20-138 right in time for Thanksgiving

mskellyw WTG !! Fitting into size 8's HAS TO BE the best motivator... Congrats!!
    Welcome chelsea756!
  • mskellyw
    Options
    Hi guys! I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is. I did really well with the water (22 cups!) and veggies yesterday, but fell short of my 10,000 steps. To make up for it I decided to take advantage of the GORGEOUS weather we're having and walk the two miles to the gym this morning. As a result, I've already racked up 10,557 steps this morning! And it's only 11am! I'm hoping to make up the 3,000 I fell short by yesterday. I've got a GoWear Fit, so it's easy to keep track of where I am.

I hope everyone is having a great start to the long weekend!
  • smithkey84
    smithkey84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and would really like to join in as well. Although I don't have my accurate measurements I can guess. I would like to join because I have a birthday on October 6th and a 3 yr. anniversary on Nov 21st.

My current weight is 200.4 lbs after weighing myself. Here are my measurements just by guessing/

bust 38
    natural waist 33
    hips 40

My six-week goal is at least close to 180. My mini goals is too keep myself at a 1200 calorie a day diet and not eat after 7 p.m. and drink lots of water and to only snack on fruits and veggies. I am currently wearing between a size 14 and a 16. The waist is a bit big but it really fits the hips and bottom. :tongue:
    I
  • erica_lashay
    Options
    I am in.....

I am in.... I joined a gym and went thru the kitchen and cleaned out ALL of the unhealthy stuff... so I am in

SW - 09.04 - 220
    09.11 - 218
    09.18 - 216
    09.25 - 214
    10.02 - 212
    10.09 - 210
    10.16 - 208
  • aariel22
    Options
    I am trying to appreciate the healthy food that I eat to keep my mind off the sweets. I have been on mfp for about 2 months, and the early motivation to loose weight is starting to wear off. Sooo...

I just ate the yummiest leftovers from last night. I grilled some marinated chicken breasts and chopped one up and put it on a huge salad of organic greens, shredded carrots, orange tomatoes, red bell peppers and avocado. I dressed it with a touch of olive oil and flax seed oil, lemon juice, and herba mare salt. YUM!!!
  • mskellyw
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to check in and say hi. I have to leave for work/school, so I'll post later. For now just wanted to say that I hope everyone had a great three-day weekend!
  • chelsea756
    Options
    Aariel22, that is my problem too. I love sweets! If I can just stay focused and ignore my sweet tooth, I'll do okay with this whole weightloss thing. Now I'm off for a morning jog with two little ones in tow.
  • chelsea756
    Options
    Just wondering, what does everyone do for exercise? Also, what is your daily diet? Maybe explaining our daily routine would help others along the way. I know I'm getting pretty tired of the same old food everyday.

For exercise I jog with two kids in a jogging stroler at least 2 miles 5 days a week. I also do 300 situps 5 days a week. I need to add in some resistance workouts but I always let it slip through the cracks. I guess that's my new mini goal.

For breakfast I have a cereal bar, lunch is usually a lean meat sandwhich, and dinner is just whatever I cook for the family. I just watch my portions.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, what does everyone do for exercise? Also, what is your daily diet? Maybe explaining our daily routine would help others along the way. I know I'm getting pretty tired of the same old food everyday.

For exercise I jog with two kids in a jogging stroler at least 2 miles 5 days a week. I also do 300 situps 5 days a week. I need to add in some resistance workouts but I always let it slip through the cracks. I guess that's my new mini goal.

For breakfast I have a cereal bar, lunch is usually a lean meat sandwhich, and dinner is just whatever I cook for the family. I just watch my portions.

I hear ya. I am so tired of what I have been eating. It is driving me absolutely bonkers. I am going to try and start cooking some Indian dishes because I absolutely adore Indian food. The problem that I have is that I don't like cooking every day and freezer space is at an absolute premium at my house. I live with three other people all of whom have very different diet requirements and do not like cooking. Right now breakfast for me is usually Oatmeal with 1/2 a cup of blueberries. I usually eat an apple and 20 raw almonds for snack #1, I usually eat some sort of Lean Cusine meal for lunch. Snack #2 is usually Greek Yogurt and Fruit, Dinner is usually another Lean Cuisine. I know eating so many lean cuisines is not a good thing. I am aiming to change that. I also do not exercise enough. Usually the only exercise I do is a walk if that. I started Krav Maga classes and I am loving it. I plan to do three classes a week of that as soon as I can do it without being sore for 4 days. That's pretty much it.