Help!!! I can't kick diet soda!

Options

Replies

• Kipperdog123
    Options
    I'm a longtime drinker of diet soda, and I will never give it up, even if it kills me. It's the one thing in life that keeps me going.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOATHE drinking water, and I drink a gallon a day. If you want to get serious about weight loss, lots of water will seriously help.
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Gave it up for lent first 2 weeks kicked my butt!. Now I cannot stand the flavor. I use crystal light for one bottle of water a day. This is my treat.
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    You don't HAVE to kick it if you really DON'T want to. There is no scientific evidence to show that having 1-2 diet sodas a day will keep you from being healthy.
    Now if you WANT to kick the habit, the simplest way is not to have it around you. You can't drink it if you don't have access.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks for your advice! "You can't drink it if you don't have access." AGREED!
  • vtpixie
    vtpixie Posts: 39
    Options
    It's all within your power. You gotta make a choice. Period.

Thank you for the straight to it motivation! I think my biggest hurdle is not wanting to drink my calories! Really just looking for alternative choices!

Dr. Oz just had that on one of his episodes about kicking diet soda habit...he suggested orange juice with selter water (still get bubbles that way) and one other but can't remember the igredients. Check his website.
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    A question for all those that quit the soda habit and haven't addressed the caffeine withdrawal aspect--did you switch to other caffeinated drinks (coffee/tea), or just go cold turkey? I personally have gotten such bad withdrawal symptoms that I threw up for the better part of a day and a half on vacation until I realized what what was going on and started chugging a diet coke. An hour later, I was a new person. While I'm with those that crave the carbonated goodness, the caffeine is what keeps me coming back...and that's the part that I'm dying to kick.

Thanks for your question and honest response!!! I look forward to hear their responses! Thanks!
  • Maureeeen
    Maureeeen Posts: 9
    Options
    Today is Day 5 for me. No Pepsi for 5 days now. I find it difficult to believe as I sit here and write that. I have been talking about quitting my 5 or 6 cans a day addiction for years now. I tried cutting back but always wound up drinking the same amount. I don't know what happened. I just got sick of talking about it and wishing it that I just did it. And you know what? It's not that awful. I'm kinda shocked to tell you the truth. I figured the caffeine headache would be horrible. (I drink water with one packet of Crystal Light Green Tea that has a little bit of caffeine in it and that takes me through the day.) I thought for sure I would be craving it. Not at all. I'm so happy I did it. I've lost more weight this week than I did all last month!

If you want it bad enough you will do it! ......and it won't be awful!! It will be so worth it. I wish you luck.....

Friend me, if you want.
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    There isn't that much sodium in diet pop.... i drink a can or 2 a day.

But you can try crystal light to add to your water. Lots of flavors.

Thanks!
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    I'm a longtime drinker of diet soda, and I will never give it up, even if it kills me. It's the one thing in life that keeps me going.

:) This is great! :) Thanks for the honesty! I feel like that sometimes. I feel like I have already given up so much that I don't wanna let it go!
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    I absolutely LOATHE drinking water, and I drink a gallon a day. If you want to get serious about weight loss, lots of water will seriously help.

I totally agree!!! Ugh! Can't really stand it at all. And I will not drink tap water! But I guess if it's what I need I have to suck it up! Thanks!
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    Gave it up for lent first 2 weeks kicked my butt!. Now I cannot stand the flavor. I use crystal light for one bottle of water a day. This is my treat.

Congrats and thanks!
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    Today is Day 5 for me. No Pepsi for 5 days now. I find it difficult to believe as I sit here and write that. I have been talking about quitting my 5 or 6 cans a day addiction for years now. I tried cutting back but always wound up drinking the same amount. I don't know what happened. I just got sick of talking about it and wishing it that I just did it. And you know what? It's not that awful. I'm kinda shocked to tell you the truth. I figured the caffeine headache would be horrible. (I drink water with one packet of Crystal Light Green Tea that has a little bit of caffeine in it and that takes me through the day.) I thought for sure I would be craving it. Not at all. I'm so happy I did it. I've lost more weight this week than I did all last month!

If you want it bad enough you will do it! ......and it won't be awful!! It will be so worth it. I wish you luck.....

Friend me, if you want.

Thanks a lot for sharing your story and progress with me!!! :) Especially your trick to curb the caffeine lack headache! :)
  • krismuck
    krismuck Posts: 1
    Options
    Oh man I feel your pain, I'm just starting to kick Pepsi, a year ago I quit smoking, I think quitting Pepsi is harder. I'm gonna try water bottles, cranberry juice. I wish you the best
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    Oh man I feel your pain, I'm just starting to kick Pepsi, a year ago I quit smoking, I think quitting Pepsi is harder. I'm gonna try water bottles, cranberry juice. I wish you the best

Thanks!!! :) Congrats to becoming a non smoker as well!
  • Neisah
    Neisah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try 'Hint' water. It has fruit flavor but is not sweetend with any sugar. It is very good. I get the watermelon flavor. Very refreshing, especially in the heat.
  • threebritts
    Options
    It's okay to have a couple diet sodas a day. I'm like you, I'm a big diet coke fan, but I can't drink all day. I try to save it with my supper. I can drink plain water after I workout, but I buy the Walmart brand of Crystal Light to put in my water. Too many drinks make me bloated and tired. I try to fill up on water though. You can do it!
  • ClaringtonLady43
    ClaringtonLady43 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i have a SERIOUS diet dr pepper addiction. like i can down a sonic route 44 in 15 minutes. and then fill it up. twice.

here's what i tell myself: for every one i drink, i have to have two glasses of water (or one bottle). now, i like water, but sometimes this isn't easy. if i really don't want the water, i chug it. grab a straw and down that puppy. i've been filling up a nalgene bottle with water (32 ounces!) and throwing in some lime wedges. i put it in the fridge overnight so it's super cold when i drink it and i can drink like half the thing in a few gulps.

honestly, some days i end up throwing out some of my ddp can because i drank so much more water that i didn't need anything else.

i think a big part of it for me is also coupling ddp with a snack which i know is terrible. something salty with my delicious cold drink. it's a terrible habit, but i have told myself to cut down rather than stop all together. i gotta have some pleasures.

I completely understand this. I, too, am addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper. And I am a firm believer in diet sodas being more addictive than regular sodas. I also make myself drink 16 oz of water to every 12 oz can I drink. And you're right, you spend so much time drinking the water you actually don't feel like you need the soda. I prefer to drink a soda with meals, but that's probably psychological that I pair the two so they both mess with my reward system.

The best advice I can give the poster is to just limit it. I know you aren't going to want to give it up, but the best thing you can do is enforce it. It's like beginning a diet. You don't want to give up horrible foods and it's a big challenge to do it, but if you do your body will stop craving them as much later down the road.

Thanks! :)

Also, I found the drinking unsweetened tea helped with the headaches. I know a lot of people don't like tea that is unsweetened, but if you think about it as something a little better than water (and not compare it to soda) then it gets better!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I had a Diet Coke addiction for years. I'm down to one a day. I've found by adding Mio to water, I am quite happy to drink water all day long. I usually exceed the 8 cup/day requirement, but figure there's no harm in drinking extra water.
  • rpoupard99
    rpoupard99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow, mrskatielong1!! It looks like you responded and thanked everyone who gave you a suggestion!! That's amazing and I'm really impressed! Good luck with kicking your "addiction"!! :-)