Sodastream - best invention ever!

Options
fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
I have been using my Sodastream for a while. I drink so much more water now.

I drink just straight carbonated water

+

I use the MyWater flavor essences. All natural, no sweeteners, no calories. It gives the bubbly water just a hint of flavor. Makes it easy to change up so you never get "bored"

My favorite is the lime or the raspberry.

Man I drink at least 3 liters of water a day now because of it.

For a kick, I also keep the actual soda flavors around too. Once in a while I will make up some Dr Petes (their Dr Pepper). Its made with real cane sugar, and is 50 calories for 8 ounces.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Oh, do you work for the company?
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome, but is all the carbonation bad for your teeth?
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Oh, do you work for the company?

No lol, just sharing what helps me drink more water...you know, food an nutrition and all that lol
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome for people who like soda. I've seen similar products on TV for a while now
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Awesome =] I was looking at that the other day in Comet thinking I wonder how good that is =]

Thanks for sharing. I'll wait till the price drops a bit more first tho
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome, but is all the carbonation bad for your teeth?

How is carbonation bad for teeth? gallons of CO2 passes through our mouths and nose every day in air.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Awesome =] I was looking at that the other day in Comet thinking I wonder how good that is =]

Thanks for sharing. I'll wait till the price drops a bit more first tho

The only thing that is hard for me, is to get Co2 refills I have to visit bed bath and beyond lol. That store does NOT make one feel manly hahah
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I found this: http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-carbonation-bad-for-you.aspx
    I don't know if it's a reputable site or not, or reputable author. But any Google search really can probably answer whether the carbonation is bad for you or not. Sounds like a good way to get more water though if you're not a fan of plain water.

I bought a 2L Coke Zero the other day and realized I really miss soda. I didn't drink ANYTHING else until the soda was gone. Bad idea. But maybe if I can carbonate water and just add a touch of flavor, I could completely eliminate soda.
    *Dang it, edit for typo!
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I found this: http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-carbonation-bad-for-you.aspx
    I don't know if it's a reputable site or not, or reputable author. But any Google search really can probably answer whether the carbonation is bad for you or not. Sounds like a good way to get more water though if you're not a fan or plain water.

I bought a 2L Coke Zero the other day and realized I really miss soda. I didn't drink ANYTHING else until the soda was gone. Bad idea. But maybe if I can carbonate water and just add a touch of flavor, I could completely eliminate soda.

That's what helped me eliminate diet soda all together. Now If I need a caffeine fix, I drink black tea.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I bought it a while ago (used 20% off coupon) and I wasn't fond of the flavored water (came with a 3 pack), but I do need to adjust how much I use per bottle to get the taste just right.

I do like their diet varieties (zero, ginger ale, root beer, raspberry) but haven't had any since I joined MFP (no room in fridge for those bottles amongst all the healthy food I've got in there now, lol)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    For a kick, I also keep the actual soda flavors around too. Once in a while I will make up some Dr Petes (their Dr Pepper). Its made with real cane sugar, and is 50 calories for 8 ounces.
    I have a Sodastream that has been largely ignored for over a year now, and I had a few flavors including the Dr Pete. And ALL of the ones I tried, including Dr Pete, are made with sucralose (Splenda) and the root beer and cola have Ace K... In addition to sucrose.

Dr Pete used to be called Pete's Choice.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You can't refill the CO2 cartridges can you? I'd prefer to have a seltzer maker with refillable CO2 cartridges. It'd be a lot cheaper than buying a new one every time it's empty. Those things are expensive.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I have a Sodastream that has been largely ignored for over a year now, and I had a few flavors including the Dr Pete. And ALL of the ones I tried, including Dr Pete, are made with sucralose (Splenda) and Ace K... In addition to sucrose.

Ah yes you are correct,

I was referring to the Natural Sodas:

Ingredients
    http://www.sodastreamusa.com/Assets/Naturally_Sweetened_Cola_Label.jpg

Real sugar, no sucralose.

However I stick mostly to the flavor essences

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/Assets/flavorlabel_myWaterBerry.jpg

All natural on that one, but its just super light flavoring.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    You can't refill the CO2 cartridges can you? I'd prefer to have a seltzer maker with refillable CO2 cartridges. It'd be a lot cheaper than buying a new one every time it's empty. Those things are expensive.

You cant personally refill them. You exchange them for full ones. I think its 12 bucks for an exchange on a canister that makes 60L of water.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have a Sodastream that has been largely ignored for over a year now, and I had a few flavors including the Dr Pete. And ALL of the ones I tried, including Dr Pete, are made with sucralose (Splenda) and Ace K... In addition to sucrose.

Ah yes you are correct,

Ingredients

You quoted my incorrect post, actually. :) There's no Ace K in my Pete mix.

But I haven't found these natural ones yet - though I am in Canada, not the USA. And like I said, I don't really drink this stuff anymore. I think just having it there and available made me stop drinking nearly as much soda as I used to.

I tried the Orange MyWater and it's disgusting.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Ah yes you are correct,

Ingredients

You quoted my incorrect post, actually. :) There's no Ace K in my Pete mix.

But I haven't found these natural ones yet - though I am in Canada, not the USA. And like I said, I don't really drink this stuff anymore. I think just having it there and available made me stop drinking nearly as much soda as I used to.

I tried the Orange MyWater and it's disgusting.

Lol not a fan of th orange or mint myself
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    We love ours too - used it last night to force-carbonate some infused lemon basil water - great!
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    We love ours too - used it last night to force-carbonate some infused lemon basil water - great!

Damn that sounds good.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love ours too. "Santa" actually brought it for my son about three years ago. The only thing on his Christmas list was his own soda machine...uh, I had NO idea how I was going to pull that off! This was before SodaStream started being sold in a lot of stores. So, I did some research and ordered it from their website.

Our whole family LOVES it. The Diet Dr. Pete's is a favorite of all of ours, and the kids love the Rootbeer.
    We've served the soda to visitors who didn't know the difference between it and the name brands...

Just recently one of the nearby hardware store started selling exchange CO2 cartridges. Before that we were ordering them online. I periodically check the website for exchange locations.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I adore my Sodastream. I believe some Walmarts will refill the canister. I love bubbles in my water and Coke Zero version is quite tasty. I scored an amazing deal on it-regularly 99.99, Kohl's had it for 69.99 and I had a 30% coupon on top of that. Brand new for 48.99. Go me!

Since getting it I have actually cut down on soda, maybe one diet version a day. Because its so accessible for me (don't even have to leave the house!) soda has lost its "special-ness" so I make it if I want or just have some plain water.