Sodastream - best invention ever!

Options
2»

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%. Love mine. No more waste of having to buy bottles of carbonated water or soda and junk up the landfill. I use the syrups they make or buy SF Torani syrups and make Italian sodas.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%. Love mine. No more waste of having to buy bottles of carbonated water or soda and junk up the landfill. I use the syrups they make or buy SF Torani syrups and make Italian sodas.

Damn I forgot about the Torani's!
  • KLovesTy
    KLovesTy Posts: 37
    Options
    hmm this makes me want to get one. I admit I am addicted to diet soda and I'd love to surprise my husband when he gets back from his deployment by breaking the habit bc it really worries him, as he knows how bad it is for me.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I like mine, too. It's no cheaper than canned soda really but it's less to carry, better for the environment and it keeps my intake down.

If you really use yours a lot, look into an adaptor for the CO2 bottle that lets you get yours refilled from like a paintball shop or somewhere else that sells CO2. The adaptor was like $70 when I looked, I think. But if you can refill I think it probably only holds a couple bucks worth of CO2.

I like the diet energy drink the best lately. I never drank Red Bull enough to know what it's supposed to taste like, so it doesn't taste 'off' to me like the colas do.

I also make Italian cream sodas sometimes... Torani, club soda and some soy milk.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Oh, do you work for the company?

No lol, just sharing what helps me drink more water...you know, food an nutrition and all that lol

You've done really, really great. Keep it up if it works for you. I'm looking into one of these myself, but for now using MIO. I drink diet Dr. Pepper after I've had all my water for the day. I'm trying to have more than the minimum and it works for me for now.
  • jeby8
    jeby8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome, but is all the carbonation bad for your teeth?

How is carbonation bad for teeth? gallons of CO2 passes through our mouths and nose every day in air.

My fiance and I HATED this part...so we went online and bought a CO2 paintball tank and an adapter that fits into the Sodastream machine. No more 14.99 exchanges. We fill up at ****'s sporting goods for $3.99 about once a month! Worth the $ you pay for the tank and adapter!
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Awesome =] I was looking at that the other day in Comet thinking I wonder how good that is =]

Thanks for sharing. I'll wait till the price drops a bit more first tho

The only thing that is hard for me, is to get Co2 refills I have to visit bed bath and beyond lol. That store does NOT make one feel manly hahah

oooh they have refills at BB&B?! I couldn't find them anywhere! Thanks for that tip!
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like mine, too. It's no cheaper than canned soda really but it's less to carry, better for the environment and it keeps my intake down.

If you really use yours a lot, look into an adaptor for the CO2 bottle that lets you get yours refilled from like a paintball shop or somewhere else that sells CO2. The adaptor was like $70 when I looked, I think. But if you can refill I think it probably only holds a couple bucks worth of CO2.

I like the diet energy drink the best lately. I never drank Red Bull enough to know what it's supposed to taste like, so it doesn't taste 'off' to me like the colas do.

I also make Italian cream sodas sometimes... Torani, club soda and some soy milk.

Every once in a while I will drink a diet Red Bull...The diet Red Bull for the soda stream actually tastes BETTER, in my opinion, than the real stuff.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I found this: http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-carbonation-bad-for-you.aspx
    I don't know if it's a reputable site or not, or reputable author. But any Google search really can probably answer whether the carbonation is bad for you or not. Sounds like a good way to get more water though if you're not a fan of plain water.

I bought a 2L Coke Zero the other day and realized I really miss soda. I didn't drink ANYTHING else until the soda was gone. Bad idea. But maybe if I can carbonate water and just add a touch of flavor, I could completely eliminate soda.
    *Dang it, edit for typo!

I used to drink Coke Zero like a fiend. I also have the SodaStream and drink nothing but carbonated water anymore!

The verdict is still out on carbonation, and so far there's been no conclusive proof of any danger associated with drinking carbonated drinks. Some studies have been done saying it's bad, and others say it's not. It's a difficult thing to eliminate other variables, so who knows if we'll ever know.

Soda may be bad for your teeth (specifically the acids in it), but carbonated water is not.

Heck, drinking a lot of carbonated water is better than not drinking water (or drinking very little).

My only complaint about the SodaStream is that the machine itself isn't that expensive, but the CO2 refills cost a LOT*. Plus I got mine at Costco, so I have a bigger canister that no one has replacements for (but they will gladly take my big canister in exchange for a smaller one). My only choice is to replace through the mail/UPS/FedEx with SodaStream, which is MEGA expensive and means I am sans CO2 cartridge unless I pay (through the nose) for a backup. What we did is bought a proper converter to use a regular CO2 tank. It wasn't cheap and takes up a lot of space (we are still figuring out the logistics of it in our kitchen), but the refills on the CO2 tank are dirt cheap, plus the tank is huge!

*As someone wrote elsewhere about it, the SodaStream is like a cell phone in that the phones are really cheap, but they hook you in by making you regularly pay a lot of money for phone service.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Additionally, when you carbonate your own water, if you know what's in your water, you know what's in your carbonated water. Sometimes purchased beverages have additives. I mean, most bottled carbonated water is just that - carbonated water - but some may not be. As with anything, be careful with what you buy, especially if it is flavored, and read labels :smile:
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Awesome =] I was looking at that the other day in Comet thinking I wonder how good that is =]

Thanks for sharing. I'll wait till the price drops a bit more first tho

The only thing that is hard for me, is to get Co2 refills I have to visit bed bath and beyond lol. That store does NOT make one feel manly hahah

oooh they have refills at BB&B?! I couldn't find them anywhere! Thanks for that tip!

The 20% off coupons do work on the canister exchanges, too. And the mailed coupons can be used past their expiration dates.
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That's awesome to know, thank you! I just found a spare canister at Walmart yesterday -- first time I've seen them anywhere retail.. from the looks of the site, they are becoming more and more available!