STUPID SCALE!!! I'm getting soooo mad!

Options
I've been on MFP since January 2012. I log my foods and exercise as I should, yet lately I'm getting so frustrated with myself. I started at 1200 calories and was there forever. I lost about 15 pounds, but I keep gaining and losing a pound or two. I've upped my calories to 1533 after a long (7-8 week) plateau. I am now weight lifting (circuit training at my home gym) for about 5 weeks, every other day. I can see the muscles in my arms and legs changing and shaping some, but I am so frustrated that my scale doesn't want to move any lower. I need to lose more weight so I can be considered in the 'healthy' range. Technically by doctors statistics, I was 'overweight' at 172 for 5ft 4. I am now 157 but need to get lower.
UGHHHHH!!! I'm trying to get healthier and be fit. I've been weight lifting, riding a bike, jogging, walking, and swimming. I don't know what else to do or what will help me...Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The answer is simple. You're putting on muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so your scale won't be dipping any lower but you are actually getting smaller. If the scale is frustrating you so much, put it away for a while. Start tracking your inches instead. You'll see you really are making progress.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you burning a day? I find it helps to keep track of that as well.
  • jasbookworm
    jasbookworm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Since u said ur muscles are shaping and changing, your weight is probably not changing because of your muscles. the healthier and stronger they are, the heavier they weigh. dont worry. u'll get there!
  • weightloss06
    Options
    Have you measured yourself lately? If the scales arn't moving my guess would be you are loosing it in measurements. Grab a tape measure you might be surprised. Keep up the good work!!!!
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The answer is simple. You're putting on muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so your scale won't be dipping any lower but you are actually getting smaller. If the scale is frustrating you so much, put it away for a while. Start tracking your inches instead. You'll see you really are making progress.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat......fat takes up more space than muscle but they weight they same.

Your food diary is not too good......lots of Pizza, chips, ice cream, almost all processed food. It's what your eating that's causing your problem. Limit the bad stuff, add more fresh clean foods, stay within your calorie limit and you'll be cool.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you burning a day? I find it helps to keep track of that as well.

It depends on what I'm doing that day, usually 300-400 on average. I sometimes eat those back, but not all the time.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    Have you measured yourself lately? If the scales arn't moving my guess would be you are loosing it in measurements. Grab a tape measure you might be surprised. Keep up the good work!!!!

Only a whopping 2 inches difference from all over. :(
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 also and started at 165. I lost 20 lbs, felt great, thought I was doing well... but just simply couldn't get any more weight off. I was marathon training and actually gained some weight back during that time, however, my shape didn't change. I then, stopped all exercise, and lowered my calories back down to minimal healthy calories. I went 3 weeks, of no dairy and no wheat, no whites I lost weight during this time, then I started exercising and eating more again. I am one of those that can't lose weight and exercise at the same time, it stalls my progress. Last October, I did it again, no wheat, white, or diary, I'm now down 45lbs total and maintaining. I have at times totally changed shape, just through fitness alone, but I can't ever seem to get the weight loss/ exercise well pattern down. It simply doesn't work for me. I'm sure a lot of mine are hormone issues - cortisol increases, weight loss stalls.
  • curvykim78
    Options

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat......fat takes up more space than muscle but they weight they same.

Your food diary is not too good......lots of Pizza, chips, ice cream, almost all processed food. It's what your eating that's causing your problem. Limit the bad stuff, add more fresh clean foods, stay within your calorie limit and you'll be cool.

I do stay within my calorie limits for the most part...and yeah, the last week has more junk than usual. :(
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

It depends on what I'm doing that day, usually 300-400 on average. I sometimes eat those back, but not all the time.

do you wear a HRM to track your calorie burn or are you just estimating he burn based on what MFP says?
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options

This is the right answer...agree 100%
  • LelaYang
    LelaYang Posts: 43
    Options
    Have you ever tried insanity? It works wonders!!!
  • curvykim78
    Options

do you wear a HRM to track your calorie burn or are you just estimating he burn based on what MFP says?

Based on MFP results which I figured were off some, that's why I don't eat back all of my exercise calories all the time.
  • curvykim78
    Options

No I haven't tried that one.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My advice? Put the scale away for a while and focus on nutrition. A little junk food sometimes won't throw you off, but you want to eat healthy the majority of the time. But I would start to measure your success by how you feel, your endurance, your muscle tone, and things like that. BMI is only ONE indicator of health, and body builders technically have high BMI's when they are really built, but they are healthy and have a low body fat percentage. Also, are you taking periodic update pictures? That can help when you are frustrated with numbers.

And also remember that the smaller you get, the slower you will lose weight. :)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Based on MFP results which I figured were off some, that's why I don't eat back all of my exercise calories all the time.

I would totally reccomend investing in a HRM-you can find them on amazon or ebay and they are awesome...I wouldn't depend on MFP as the numbers seem off for most things.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Calm down! Our bodies want to remain stable and resist change. You've increased activity. Decreased food intake and want to live healthier. Make sure that you get lots of water and sleep, adequate nutrition and continue on towards your goals. Change things up if you want or if it makes you feel any better. I would suggest that you don't focus too much on the scale and try to focus on whether you are staying true to the course of actions to get towards your personal goals. Good luck!
  • boldtsmith
    boldtsmith Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It might be time to throw out the scale and just use the mirror. You're doing great; don't let a machine convince you otherwise.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

I've tried it every day since I was born and I still have a gut.... :mad: