First half marathon tomorrow! :0 Any last minute tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• annieinshape
    Options
    Keep your pace, drink water, sunscreen
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body! If you need to walk that's ok. You don't need to worry about time, just to finish! Use the water/gatorade stations. They are your friend! You'll do fine and remember: You're running a half marathon! You're amazing!! :flowerforyou:
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Don't eat or wear anything that you haven't been eating/wearing for your training!
  • sassafrasy
    sassafrasy Posts: 113
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon end of March this year...It was an awesome experience. I was very nervous the days up to the race...and then day finally came. (I remember crying at the stop light the day before the race....the feeling is overwhelming...you've trained for so long and then the day comes.
    I wore shoes and outfit that I regularly ran in and brought my music. I was nervous til the gun went off to start the race. The gun went off and in my head I was sayin' this is your day....you run your race. And I did just that...
    I used gu for energy...but never try anything for the first time for the race! The race is not the day to go for something new...
    Before the race i had peanut butter on banana....
    you'll do great....believe and you will achieve!!! go get em girl!!
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Your first will be your most memorable!! Words of advice- just think of it as your regular long run. The only difference is that you are running with a lot more people! The race is a celebration of all of your hard work! Have fun and hopefully you have someone to take pictures of you during the race. Those are always fun to look at later on. Run your own race, don't worry about how fast or slow other people are running. The goal: start strong and finish stronger and still healthy. Have FUN!!
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    OP, I was in your same position two months ago when I completed my first half marathon. I didn't run the last two weeks of training due to IT band issues (which ended up causing a bunch of discomfort the last 4 mile of the race). Like the others have said: Listen to your body, walk if you need to, and stay hydrated. I would arrive early to get good parking and use the porta-potties while they're still clean. Start slow. Don't forget to have fun! Not many people can say they've run 13.1 miles.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Think of this week of rest as your time of "tapering", which is also part of preparation. Good luck, stay loose, and have fun!

this!!

Hydrate well tonight and tomorrow morning. ice afterward and anti-inflammatories. Listen to your body during and walk if needed. You're trained up and you'll do great!
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    As far as medical advice, doctors can be wrong too, and you mention that the pain is still there. Basically they're rolling the dice covering their behind with a clear xray and ctscan. Not questioning your doctor's advice, just suggesting that the issue is not resolved until they/you know what is causing the pain and how to eliminate such cause.

Many long term injuries happen for ignoring the body signals (pain in this case), would suck to force an early end of the season for rushing to a race risking turning the little pain into a more serious injury. This is again a comment coming from witnessing similar situations on people i used to run/train with(a few of them were "cleared" by their doctors as well) . It's only a suggestion, your body not mine.

And, with no sarcasm, race report sunday. Good luck
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    You got a lot of good advice and since I have never actually did a half... I will not give you lame advice!

You will do awesome! Walk if u have to, sit down and cry if u need to BUT DO NOT hurt yourself if your hip hurts but I know you are ready! I know you were relived that that doc gave you the okay to run, so enjoy tomorrow and have fun!

If u are reading this tonight.... Go get some sleep :)
  • AngelEyez1967
    AngelEyez1967 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey...how did everything go?