Do you study languages?

Options
ccj424
ccj424 Posts: 30
Hi! I like to study languages. Does anyone else study? What languages do you study or know?

Replies

• smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do ancient languages count? Haha, I'm doing my MA in Medieval Studies; part of that is being a Medieval Linguist. I'm currently re-learning Classical and Medieval Latin, and brushing up on my Old English and Middle English skills.

I can also speak basic conversational German, and some Spanish.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just finished my major in Japanese last year :smile:
  • ccj424
    ccj424 Posts: 30
    Options
    That's really cool, guys!

I couldn't major in Japanese, but I studied it. As for Medieval Studies, that's interesting. Does that include Latin? It's the only ancient language I could think of, but it probably isn't ancient. I thought about making a group for friends to practice languages with each other, since there are so many other groups on here for other things. Only, I decided not to because I thought it would be lame and unrelated to fitness. I guess I just wanted to fulfill my curiosity.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    English & Spanish
  • cotso
    cotso Posts: 86
    Options
    I don't study languages but since I'm Canadian, living in Quebec and of Greek descent, I speak 3 languages lol
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yes, Spanish.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    i got my degree in spanish and would like to go back to school to get certified to teach. unfortunately, i havent spoken it in so long i'm afraid im losing it :( if anyone is looking for a conversation partner let me know!
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    English native, Spanish 8 years in school, 2 of Japanese, currently in Germany doing immersion learning, and would also like to try out Portuguese sometime soon :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    latin and greek only because i had to for school, french, spanish, italian, russian, japanese. i also studied a bit of german back when i was a in a french MA program and was considering going for a doctorate in medieval lit.

i'll soon be starting brazilian portuguese and mandarin.

i currently work in the language industry :smile:
  • BROscience_PHD
    BROscience_PHD Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    yes, um , body language.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I took 2 years of German, a year of Spanish, and a year of French (which was my least favorite). I've also studied ASL and Korean in my free time.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    yes, um , body language.

Funny! Well in addition to the language of love, I love Spanish and am fairly fluent...would love to learn Italian and sign language and maybe even French or German, but nothing is in the works at the moment.
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    English, Spanish, and Tagalog.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Speak english and spanish.

I can understand some french/italian/portuguese (these last two are sooo alike spanish so its easy :smile: )
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    English, Spanish, German, Latin, Irish and currently learning Urdu
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I study..

JIVE
    BULL$HIT
    SLANG
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Well I did study French for school since I'm Canadian. The languages I know are English, French, Persian, Arabic and Hindi.
  • iamers
    iamers Posts: 74
    Options
    I am currently studying Spanish and German, I am a native English speaker and I am hoping to study Spanish at university :smile:
    In the future I aim to know conversational French, Italian and possibly Arabic. I love languages!!! :laugh:
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I can speak French and English at fluent level, good enough to work in both languages (and I do :p ).

I know Spanish and have been trying to learn Korean for a while now. I am trying to go for one language per decade. Apparently it's pretty good to keep the brain "healthy" and active. It's lots of fun at least :)

My main Korean resource, should people be interested. Works only in IE for some odd reason :
    http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/korean/
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I speak Italian, English and my mother language: Hungarian. I understand some French. I even studied Japonese for a year about 16-17 years ago. But I totally forgot it.:(