Do you study languages?

Options

Replies

• Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love languages. I have studied French in school and Spanish in my free time. I would like to start studying them again and plan on it soon.
  • HenryIsTheMan
    Options
    japanese and chinese =]
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    I am working on my Spanish (I have a lot of Spanish friends and I want to know what thier talking about), and after I have always wanted to study sign language. I think that's so cool.
  • lissymae11
    lissymae11 Posts: 71
    Options
    I can speak English and Spanish, and a fair amount of German. I took one semester of ASL (honestly I only remember a little bit) but I'm hoping to learn Portuguese next :)
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    English and Spanish.

Took Greek and Latin in high school.
  • selana
    selana Posts: 2
    Options
    I am German and as you can see fluent in English. Right now I'm working on being a certified translator for English. Apart from that I studied French and Spanish at school ages ago. I still can kind of read both languages well enough to get an idea of what a text is about, but due to lack of practice I can't really use either of them any more
  • lika50
    lika50 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm studying Spanish right now and love it. Would like to master French next... :smile:
  • sfuller911
    sfuller911 Posts: 63
    Options
    Studying Spanish now!
  • QuietImperfections
    QuietImperfections Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm studying Japanese ^^
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I studied Spanish and know it pretty well. After living in PR for a few summers, I better know that ish!
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I speak fluent English and Spanish.
    I've studied German, and know enough to get me by. And a bit of Japanese and Chinese.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I speak English and Czech. But thanks to the Czech, I can understand Slovak quite well. And order a meal (or at least understand most of the menu) in other Slavic languages (Polish, Russian, Serbian, etc.).

I also studied German a bit, but can't speak the language (other than counting, asking directions, etc. - very basic). I definitely want to improve my German over the next few years. I'm about a 15 min. drive to the German border, so it would be a shame to waste that opportunity to learn more of the language.

--P
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm studying Italian now. I spent 5 years learning Spanish, but at this point can barely remember it.
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to start taking French classes as I now live an a French speaking area. Would also love to learn Italian, but one step at a time.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    English
    German
    Swedish
    Spanish
    And some Norwegian
    Some Japanese!

If anyone would like a buddy who loves languages, send a request. :)
  • RenVan
    RenVan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was raised bilingual (Canadian, French/English). I have a Communication Diploma in French Sign Language (LSQ) and I am now taking ASL (American Sign Language, they don't use LSQ in Alberta) My kids are both bilingual (French and English) and also studying Spanish in elementary/jr high schools.
  • sapienti
    sapienti Posts: 17
    Options
    I lived in Thailand for 4 years. I speak Thai alright, & for the portion that I know, I don't even have a terrible accent. I've never studied it formally, so my reading and writing is crap.

Currently, I'm listening to the Mandarin tapes from the FSI website. (an excellent & cheap way to learn imho)

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

My thinking is similar to the Pimsleur method, where I plan to listen only to the audio portion for several weeks, before I try to pick up any written materials. My goal: watch Kung Fu movies without subtitles.
  • kaymadeira
    Options
    i am learning arabic. it is fun to write the alphabet. very artsy, which i love...my husband and i take lessons together with our teacher sitting in the middle of us twice a week....
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    My degree is in English (native) and I've studied some French.

I love the study of languages, in general, but my favorite is the study of linguistics. I'm especially fascinated by linguistic anthropology.

I guess that's a little off topic. :laugh:
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    First language is Sign Language and my second is English.