Why did you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• HUNGRYHIPPO68
    HUNGRYHIPPO68 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started comfort eating at 13yrs old due to a truamatic event but always was very active then in 2007 had bike accident and was off work for ages thats when it got bad due to depression and hubby working away it is only the last couple of weeks I have suddenly woke up and thought WTF am I doing
    Its hard but if we can get through one day at a time I will be happy
  • nhatcher8280
    Options
    Being a dancer....jazz & modern in college...tore my ACL and put weight on slowly...never really danced again...at least not like I use to...got married...had kids...worked...In short...life I guess is the reason I put on weight!..Not really a mystery...but it will soon be history! LOL
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I started gaining because I married a thin man who loved to eat out & could eat whatever w/o gaining, plus I didn't belong to a health club anymore. In my late teens/early 20s, I belonged to a gym & exercised regularly - didn't think about what I ate. I was normal & healthy. Then my little sister passed away in an accident and to cope, I fell into anorexia. Like someone may throw themselves into their work, I threw myself into exercise and starving myself. I was lucky to get out of that - then I married and my weight was always up & down, up & down. Maybe I screwed up my metabolism - maybe it was all that eating out. Each year, my gains got higher while my losses became smaller. During this time, I had two kids 13 months apart! I was tired during those first years & used sugar for energy. I went on a hi-protein diet and lost all my excess weight (woo-hoo!) and felt great - kept it off 3 years. Blew it all for the sake of a friend - it seemed my "thinness" made her feel guilty about her weight problems. (Aaarrgh!! wth!) Then it was raising kids & dealing w/various family issues that kept me from putting myself (my health) first ... until now. My diabetic mom was diagnosed w/liver cirrhosis from a fatty liver and it "scared me sober." So here I am ... to take care of ME.
  • rach_00
    rach_00 Posts: 72
    Options
    I gained alot of weight when I met my partner and lost my baby, and then a year and abit after my father died and I got really depressed.
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    I started gaining weight from antidepressants when I was 19. I started losing it, went from 204 to 174, found out I was pregnant, good timing there, lol!! I got pregnant with my 2nd daughter when my first was 6 months old. After I had my 2nd daughter, I was back to just over 200, then started losing, went back down to about 190. When she was 3-months-old, my family went through a house fire in which we lost everything, my older daughter, then 18 months, and I almost didn't get out in time. I gained about 40 lbs just involving that. Then to boot, I found out recently my thyroid levels have been way low since before I got pregnant with my first daughter!
  • lori__lynn
    lori__lynn Posts: 59
    Options
    over time after my third child and most recently the loss of my mother....
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i was a traveling sales engineer eating out nightly which is a lot of calories but all the travel put stress on my marriage so i ate even more and had NO exercise plan.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Because I am lazy, and because bad food tastes sooooo good.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    3 kids in a little over 3 years is what did it for me, after that I just didn't have the motivation or energy to get back in shape.
  • rdfhunter
    rdfhunter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Beer, burgers & babes most of my 20's..
    Then just plan laziness in my 30's..
    IT WILL NOT BE THAT WAY IN MY 40's
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    After my first kid I got a sit down job instead after years of fast food, so between sitting all day at work and then finishing off his plate at dinner I never lost the leftover baby weight. After my second I just never lost all the baby weight due to the same reasons. No more excuses on not eating healthy or working out, especially when I have a gym at my disposal 24 hours a day.
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    i was really sick and ate for comfort...i was in too much pain to exercise so the weight just kept going up...

i also started eating bread and peanut butter again four slices of bread in the morning and four slices at night...i was doomed...
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Cause i just did'nt care about myself and thought i was worthless, which isn't true i just had a depression problem. Which i kinda still do but i am working on with therapy
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    Had to do a lot of soul searching to honestly answer this one.

I was at a healthy weight when I got divorced at age 25. In hindsight, I was battling some serious depression and slowly gained weight because I was focused so much on getting my mind and my emotions healthy, I ignored my body. Eventually I met my current husband, and was only slightly overweight at that time. However, I'd already learned bad eating habits by that time and was officially obese before I became pregnant with our daughter.

When I talk to people about my journey to a healthy weight, they say, "Of course you've battled with your weight! You had a baby." I wish it were that simple for me. Six months after the baby was born, I was the same weight I was before I had her but my BMI was in the obese range. A lot of women can "blame" their pregnancy; I had no one to blame but myself.

Now, I weigh 20 lbs more than I did when I got divorced. Of course, it's been years and I have had a baby. I have more muscle on my body than I did back then because I lost the weight this time by adding exercise to my healthier eating habits. So even with 20 lbs extra on my frame, I'm healthier today than I was back then.
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow! Reading these posts make me feel hopeful that people will understand my struggle...

Like many of you, I was raised in kc eating hot dogs and dollar menues... then I gained the "freshman fifteen" during college due to not knowing how to cook or what to buy at the store.

Finally, I think some of it is karma. I remember ranting how overweight people just have no self control... now being in that situation, I realize losinf weight means changing your whole lifestyle for some people.

So, I've realized I would be comfortable at 135... my true goal is 125 though.

Feel free to add me!
  • Medea81
    Medea81 Posts: 69
    Options
    I have a horrible self-image problem, I hate myself... to feel better I eat, which in turn makes me feel worse about myself, so I eat more...
    I also have Crohn's disease which has me on lots of different meds, but was put on high doses of prednisone for long periods of time, which, if you have ever been on long term doses of prednisone, you know it makes you constantly feel hungry... and I gained 30 lbs in 6 months until I weaned myself off the steroid against doctors advice.
    But mostly it's the compulsive eating, and bad choices. I have a slight addiction to McDonald's Frappe's.
  • PrettyKeli
    PrettyKeli Posts: 29
    Options
    Where should I start? lol

Pregnancy
    Laziness
    Food Temptation
    Loss of self control lol
    Negative influences
    I came down with a case of "Comfortable" Something married folks catch... avoid this sickness lol

and that was about it. I had to get myself back together mentally before I could even attempt to get myself back together physically. Thanks to the Lord, prayer, and faith I was able to get back on track ^_^
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hormone change
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Energy drinks, high calorie coffee beverages, and eating out a lot. When I quit working at Best Buy (which had me on my feet constantly) and went back to school I gained 15 lbs in six months. I'm sitting at the same weight two years later. Decided recently to make a conscious change in my eating AND drinking habits and to get more active since I live/d almost a completely sedentary lifestyle.

And motivated to fit in size 8 jeans again ;)
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I was a swimmer/water polo player in high school and ate whatever I wanted, and kept eating that way after I graduated NOT knowing what healthy foods were (vegetables exist?!). I met my then bf and we ate out ALL the time, let's just say I was a regular at Olive Garden. Hehe