Visalus vi by body question....

Options
I have a friend that's been on visalus for about 3 months and she has lost 30lbs..I tasted some of it today.. And can I say..it tasted like cake batter.lol.yummmm....has anyone else tried this and does it work? I've done a lot of research about it..it gives you all the vitamins you need and keeps you full for 4 hours.. Plus they say that its recipe contains carbs and calories that burn quick along with being safe for kids. I'm seriously thinking about starting but I'd like to hear other people's opinions...Oviously the way my husband and I buy groceries it'll save money too.
Thanks a bunch!
Cathy<3

Replies

• Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Ya it taste good but if doesn't teach u how to eat of proportion size. Are u gonna live off shakes forever? That's just my opinion.
  • submarinewife07
    Options
    I'm not worried about portion size..I've got that covered...for me it'll just be a way to slim down without losing any of the nutrience that most don't get when eating less calories. I know to maintain the weight I want to be will be 1800 calories a day it's all about portion control eating for the size you want to be. And it's not ment to be used forever.lol I figured Id explain a little more on what my plans are for after Im finished.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Go for it. If portion control and eating healthy aren't a problem how come you just don't do that? Just wondering?
    If I go out and have no food options planned they have a store that makes and sells them and I'll grab one quick but that's about it for me
  • formygood2011
    formygood2011 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    pyramid scheme...of sorts.

I have actually tried it...like anything, its kind of fad-like. It gets old. I love food...would much rather learn to eat right and fuel with real food...than pay for someone's BMW.
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Why are you mentioning it being safe for kids?
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    On the bag it says don't give to children under the age of 12.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I would rather eat "real food" and take a multi-vitamin than spend money on shakes...that way I'm working on a life-style change rather than doing a "fad diet"...I have a brother and sister team that post about it ALL THE TIME on FB and it feels like a scam, a pyramid scheme, like someone else said...I see posts like" such and such lost 10lbs in 4 days!!" and it makes me wary...I've lost 25lbs since starting MFP on April 15th by eating healthy, counting calories, measuring/weighing food, drinking at least 8 cups a water a day, and exercising 5-6 days a week. I have two girls I'm trying to be a good example for and for me personally, I'd rather them see me eating an apple than drinking a shake...
  • jenyanta
    jenyanta Posts: 6
    Options
    Tried it for about 8 months. It is good, I like the vitamins, but it doesn't keep you full for 4 hours. At least it didn't for me. I would get hungry after about 2 or 3.

I don't think it is any kind of magic fat bullet, but if you are looking for a decent meal replacement, it is as good as any I think. and I never lost much weight, but that probably had more to do with my mcdonalds addiction than the shakes. LOL! I have a (male) friend that has lost about 30 lbs using it.

One thing that I found was that it didn't have as much protein as I like, so I ended up paying for protein powder to add to it. The low carb content was really good though. I have found other meal replacement powders through max muscle that have the vitamin content and the lower carb/higher protein I want in one bottle, so there are other options out there too if you want to look.

And as far as being safe for kids, Visalus donates bags to schools and organizations to feed kids that might not be getting proper meals. I think they have to put that on there to keep the government happy. Just like pharma has to put "Do not give to kids under 2" on their cold medicine. The dosing is available and safe. They just don't want to be responsible for it because they might get sued by stupid parents.
  • submarinewife07
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions..I asked for it lol. Just looking into it not definite yet. The lady who I talked to mentioned that she makes them for her 10 year old son every once in a while with a different portion is why I mentioned...
    But I want to mention..I count my calories, stopped drinking sugary sodas, keep to lean meat..and I am one to go crazy in the kitchen with different healthy recipes every week and only eating starches once a week( potatoes)....I'm doing my best to start running,walking every day, and attempt Zumba. All on top of needing surgery on my back due to a nerve problem in my back. And i will be down for a while...Sol..that said...im also a busy mom. And I also want to be a role model for my daughter (18 months)She is my world..the reason I have started this journey to becoming healthy and also my self esteem.its.not about being skinny or any of that for me..I do not want her growing up like I did always battling with my weight... The reason I want to try it...I intend...if I do do it to replace it for breakfast..to make it and easier morning routine.I understand everyone can have judgement sometimes..but asking questions never hurts..but i put this out there knowing that there might be judgement..i appreciate everyone for giving their thoughts...:smile:
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it on Thursday. I can't wait. I have about 35 pounds to lose. I also have the same reasons as you for wanting to get healthier. My daughter is 2 and I have started eating healthier since before she was born. I know what it's like to think that you don't want your child to grow up unhealthy like you did! Thankfully my daughter loves healthy food :)
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There's tons of protein drinks that will give you a decent size serving of protein (over 20gs) for about seventy five cents. Most of them use whey or a blend of whey and casein.
  • hddeuce1966
    hddeuce1966 Posts: 104
    Options
    I have been using vi for 41 days and have lost 27 pounds. I also count the calories and log everything I put in my mouth. I may not use Visalus for the rest of my life, but I can certainly see some kind of protein shake in my diet permanently, and Visalus tastes good. I use 1 shake for breakfast and one as a snack, and my lunch and dinner are PORTION CONTROLLED MEALS. You can't depend on the shakes to do it for you, but they are a big help
  • jayrey72
    jayrey72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you mix it with milk, for example, you'll be taking in maybe 180-200 calories a day. You need to be consuming around 500 calories for breakfast in order to rev up your metabolism. You take in less than 400 calories for breakfast, you're slowing down your metabolism.

Nothing wrong with any kind of shake - Visalus or any other kind of protein shake. It's much better than skipping meals. If I eat bran cereal in the morning, I will often supplement it with a shake to get some protein in the morning.
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have had one shake a day since March 5th and have lost 28 lbs. While I certainly don't attribute the weight loss entirely to the shake, it has definitely helped me start my mornings right and given me the idea in my head that I can do this. I use fruit in the shakes and prior to this I never ate a piece of fruit. In fact, I rarely had anything for breakfast. I do not use any of the supplements or mix ins that came with the full kit, I count everything I put in my mouth and I walk every day at a fast pace for 45 min. I just treat the shake as part of my daily routine. The friend I buy it from knows she is not going to get rich off me! Good luck.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i have it in my house, but i didn't use it for weight loss. i initially started using it to get my calories UP TO 1200. drinking two shakes in addition to eating helped me HIT 1200 cals. since i am able to do that on my own now, with food, i use the mix sporadically if i'm low on calories or need more protein for the day. if i use it at all, i'll do 2 scoops of the vi stuff and one of my protein powder, in the evening if i'm low on calories or protein. otherwise, i don't use it......

and i have NOT LOST any weight at all incorporating them into my diet. i think it was late january or early february when i started.
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am on it. Because just like you i have a friend who sells it and does it. So yes i kinda felt like pressured into buying it. She has made this sound so magical so i gave it a try. I bought it once and will not do it again. I am sick of it. Yes you will loose some weight, who would not if you only allowed to eat one meal a day plus two shakes. I find it expensive like hell and not worth my money. The shake actully only smells like cake but does not really have that taste. I would however, buy powder only. Its perfect for breakfast smoothy once in a while but not every day. Gets sick really old really fast. And to be honest, just get multi vitamins and you wont loose the nutrients. But you know, if you want to then DO IT! You wont really do anything bad to your body or its not some extreme weight loss magic. If it works for you then great - we all "tried everything" you may be short a few bucks LOL but other then that there is really nothing too dangerous about it. Unless you are alergic to it or have some intollorency.... Experiments is what life all aboult.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You need to be consuming around 500 calories for breakfast in order to rev up your metabolism. You take in less than 400 calories for breakfast, you're slowing down your metabolism.

Nothing wrong with any kind of shake - Visalus or any other kind of protein shake. It's much better than skipping meals.

There is nothing correct or valid in the above post except that there is nothing wrong with shakes if they help you meet your calorie/macro goals......the rest of it is just not true.......
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Why not experiment with making smoothies? There are so many good recipes and a fruit smoothie (you can add protein powder or ground flaxseed, etc) takes just a minute to make once you have the ingredients on hand.

And you can freeze them in ice cube trays and put in popsicle sticks for a summer treat once your little one is old enough.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    You need to be consuming around 500 calories for breakfast in order to rev up your metabolism. You take in less than 400 calories for breakfast, you're slowing down your metabolism.

Nothing wrong with any kind of shake - Visalus or any other kind of protein shake. It's much better than skipping meals.

There is nothing correct or valid in the above post except that there is nothing wrong with shakes if they help you meet your calorie/macro goals......the rest of it is just not true.......

yes, how does eating more than 400 calories for breakfast "rev" your metabolism?
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am on it. Because just like you i have a friend who sells it and does it. So yes i kinda felt like pressured into buying it. She has made this sound so magical so i gave it a try. I bought it once and will not do it again. I am sick of it. Yes you will loose some weight, who would not if you only allowed to eat one meal a day plus two shakes. I find it expensive like hell and not worth my money. The shake actully only smells like cake but does not really have that taste. I would however, buy powder only. Its perfect for breakfast smoothy once in a while but not every day. Gets sick really old really fast. And to be honest, just get multi vitamins and you wont loose the nutrients. But you know, if you want to then DO IT! You wont really do anything bad to your body or its not some extreme weight loss magic. If it works for you then great - we all "tried everything" you may be short a few bucks LOL but other then that there is really nothing too dangerous about it. Unless you are alergic to it or have some intollorency.... Experiments is what life all aboult.

There is no rule when you are drinking the shakes that you are only allowed one meal!! They actually tell you to eat 5 times a day, but substitute the shake for 2 of those meals. Obviously you have been misinformed.