how do i do only 1200 calories? freaking out!

Options

Replies

• bradymeans
    bradymeans Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My advice? Eat more than 1200 cal a day, lose weight slowly, keep if off long term and not be hungry all the time. Sounds much more healthy and happy to me.

I agree with her!!^^^
  • michaelispas
    michaelispas Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Set it to 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat at 1200 calories. Eat 5-6 times through the day, 2-3 hours spaced in between. You won't get hungry this way and your body will be fed frequently enough to rev up your metabolism. If you're exercising, great! Keep the same macros I stated above. This is one of the proven fat shredding methods I've seen thousands of people use, including my girlfriend and me (my calories is higher but same percents).

Feel free to add me and look through my diary for ideas if you like. I lost 72 pounds and counting following this plan and I feel just fine and have plenty of energy. I also do P90X and Insanity combined so if you want to "accelerate" losing weight, try this way if you like. Message me if you have any questions. Good luck!
  • Lachiesmum
    Lachiesmum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Also, make water your best friend if 1200 is really your daily goal. I notice on days when I don't carry my water jug with me (about 64 oz) that I have the MUNCHIES and will eat anything in sight... whereas when I do have it, I can eat normal portions (I eat about 6 times a day) without even noticing hunger... You just pee ever 20 mins. haha

How long have you been dieting?

Awhile. I stopped living my "healthy" lifestyle just because I wasn't happy emotionally... and it ended up ruining a very good looking, feeling, and healthy body... Now I'm actually TRYING to lose weight, where as before I was maintaining.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options

What is it any of your business how long she's been dieting. Everyone is different and their bodies react differently. She might have just started however she is correct In the drinking water. It is proven to carve hunger and according to national guidelines you should have 64oz a day so it really should not be your concern over how long she had been dieting as long as what she said is accurate. Plus I hate to tell you 1700 calories is maintenance/ over for me so you need to quit trying to convince everyone that they are just like you. In fact eating 1700 calories a day is what made me 220 lbs. so becareful of your advise to others as everyone is different.

They all respond to eating less than their TDEE, they're all the same. Eating 1,700 calories didn't make you 220, eating over your TDEE did.

I'm not a big meat/dairy eater guys. That's another reason why my counts are so low. I find my nutrition in other ventures and I don't have time to clock every movement I make. I drink water like it's going out of style and I eat on a routine schedule. It works for me. I had to make big life changes in a matter of moments, and I went from someone who just didn't eat what was appropriate. The fact of the matter is look what you're putting in the temple... if it doesn't work, change. ;)
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    OP.
    What are your stats?
    What if I told you you could eat way more and lose weight?
    What if 1200 calories actually sets you back by up to a year on your journey?
    What if in 2 weeks you could lose all water weight possibly dropping inches of your belt by eating closer to 2k a day.
    Or
    Hit search in the forum and type "been on 1200 and not losing" and see what I mean.

If interested I will do custom numbers.
    Weight
    Body Fat%
    How often you work out

Dan,

I'm not the OP, but I'll take you up on your offer (we're MFP friends already).

37 female
    5'7"
    230 currently
    Body Fat - around 35-40% is my best estimate
    Current workouts: Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, 6 days a week, 30minutes each day; equates to 4 circuit training/weight workouts & 2 all cardio HIIT workouts (each 30 minutes long)...
  • gadzukks
    gadzukks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Best advice I've seen so far.
  • lala40217
    lala40217 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    what the hell is OP?
  • kdlinare2
    kdlinare2 Posts: 1
    Options
    pick your battles.. dont drink and sleep early, and stay away from packaged food
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be much harder than it is, but it takes more effort and planning. In order to hit protein and macro goals with this limit, I've found it kinda depends on WHAT you're eating. on 1200 it's much harder to eat whatever you like (like whatever you were eating before) within calories because then you'll end up with unrealistically low portion sizes that are harder to stick to, and less nutrients than you need.

Basically I fill up on veggies and fruit and whole grains, get most of my protein from dairy and lean meats, and pretty much cut out empty calories altogether. Everything has to count. The good part is that when everything is nutrient-dense, you end up with bigger, more filling meals. I'm constantly surprised at the size of some of the meals I've been able to eat and stay at or under my goal.

The only macro I have trouble hitting is fat. Fats are SO calorie dense, I'm not sure how to stay under my limit and reach my fat macro every day unless I go low carb. But exercising helps -- on days I burn more extra calories, I can get in more of the olive oil, nuts, peanut butter, and maybe even some real butter or junk that usually would take me over the top.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    what the hell is OP?

You are OP (original poster)

My 2 cents....Listen to everyone that is telling you to eat more. You'll be happier and healthier in the long run. Cause this is a long run, not a sprint.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Damn some people are so ignorant...or just so full of bullsh*t.
    FYI.... Helloitsdan is one of the best people to listen to on this site...if u dont you'll kick yourself in the butt later.

^^^ This, exactly.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP.
    What are your stats?
    What if in 2 weeks you could lose all water weight possibly dropping inches of your belt by eating closer to 2k a day.
    Or
    Hit search in the forum and type "been on 1200 and not losing" and see what I mean.

Weight
    Body Fat%
    How often you work out

Dan,

37 female
    5'7"
    230 currently
    Current workouts: Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, 6 days a week, 30minutes each day; equates to 4 circuit training/weight workouts & 2 all cardio HIIT workouts (each 30 minutes long)...

Quit killing yourself.
    Youll lose weight faster with 3 days of working out over 5 days and youll have better body composition.
    Drop it down to 3x a week, monday/weds/friday and eat about 1600-1800 daily.
    Dont log the workouts.
    Just know.
    Or www.fitocracy.com
  • lala40217
    Options
    thank you! and thanks for the good advice
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    50 yrs old in october. 5'6" . 194 lbs. as of last friday. 30 or 31% bmi. i am in my 2nd week of chalean extreme. i walk 2 hard miles 4 days per week. also starting menopause. infrequent periods and hot flashes.

5'6"
    1600-1700 daily.
    Protein and Fat at 30% each.
    Keep hormones monitored as much as possible.
    While in menopause youll change fat stores from hips/thighs to stomach.
    Get into some type of weight training.
    The walks are awesome!
  • lala40217
    Options
    lovely news about the weight switching to the stomach... thats my trouble spot anyway. skinnyish legs- small ankle, small wrists. hips are big. i have a spare tire thats under my natural waist. the walking for a few years now has helped but its still there. how do i monitor my hormones? i'll be seeing my gyno for my annual in a couple of months so i'm hoping he'll have some ideas. the chalean is a killer.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 cal a day if u want to friend- I share my diary.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    50 yrs old in october. 5'6" . 194 lbs. as of last friday. 30 or 31% bmi. i am in my 2nd week of chalean extreme. i walk 2 hard miles 4 days per week. also starting menopause. infrequent periods and hot flashes.

5'6"
    1600-1700 daily.
    The walks are awesome!

my total body fat was 28.9 2 months ago (5/11/12) when i was 137.5 pounds last I was checked by my personal trainer.

NOW: 130.0 pounds
    5'0 tall
    37 years old
    1500 calories a day
    work out 3-4 times a week (every other day) 40-60min strength 20 min cardio
    i do not eat back calories.
    Is this ok? or should i eat more? I am actually about 5-10 pounds over weight (so they say) but i am aiming for -5 pounds in the mid section and tone the back- im not so concerned with the scale-i just want to be fit. I know i dont want to be rail thin or my face to be sunk in.
    a little advice is always appreciated.:wink:
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

5'6"
    1600-1700 daily.
    The walks are awesome!

my total body fat was 28.9 2 months ago (5/11/12) when i was 137.5 pounds last I was checked by my personal trainer.

NOW: 130.0 pounds
    5'0 tall
    37 years old
    1500 calories a day
    work out 3-4 times a week (every other day) 40-60min strength 20 min cardio
    i do not eat back calories.
    Is this ok? or should i eat more? I am actually about 5-10 pounds over weight (so they say) but i am aiming for -5 pounds in the mid section and tone the back- im not so concerned with the scale-i just want to be fit. I know i dont want to be rail thin or my face to be sunk in.
    a little advice is always appreciated.:wink:

Sounds legit as long as the fat is coming off and you are getting stronger.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    OP.
    What are your stats?
    Or

Weight
    Body Fat%
    How often you work out

Dan,

37 female
    5'7"
    230 currently

Quit killing yourself.
    Youll lose weight faster with 3 days of working out over 5 days and youll have better body composition.
    Drop it down to 3x a week, monday/weds/friday and eat about 1600-1800 daily.
    Dont log the workouts.
    Just know.
    Or www.fitocracy.com

Thanks...you're the bomb. :)