is it possible to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Options
i want to be more muscular and "toned" (i know people hate that word but you know what i mean) but i have this weird idea that i have to lose more weight to burn body fat to see muscle.

is it possible to burn fat and gain muscle simultaneously? if so, where do i start? how many calories do i eat, what do i eat, what exercises do i do etc?

my body fat percentage isnt super high but im flabbier than id like to be. ive been doing tons of cardio since im training for a half marathon thats in 2 weeks.

any tips? thanks in advance!!

Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You can experience minor "newbie gains" as a new lifter and can see increased muscle definition and strength because of this. In order to achieve this, you'll want to start lifting at least three times a week and focus on compound lifts which are squats, deadlifts, overhead press, incline press, dips, pull ups and lunges. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good starting point to learn proper form and nutrition.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you mean grow new muscle cells than probably not. If you mean develop the muscle tissue you have so that you are stronger and leaner, absolutely! With a few exceptions, specifically, obese people with excess fat stores, athletes returning to training after a layoff or "newbie gains", it's difficult at best and pretty much unlikely to grow new musle tissue without the fuel to make that happen by eating a calorie surplus. If one does eat at a surplus to build muscle, you also gain an amount of fat at the same time.

By eating a modest deficit and strength training, you can burn off fat and gain nueromuscular adaptations that will make you muscles more defined, slightly larger and stronger. The cardio will develop your muscular endurance and is helpful for sport specific training but it will not give you the muscle development that strength training will. Once you get throught the half, I'd change up my routine to 3 days strength 2 days cardio with a rest day mid week and 1 weekend day. Hope this helps!
  • mmapags
    Options
    You can experience minor "newbie gains" as a new lifter and can see increased muscle definition and strength because of this. In order to achieve this, you'll want to start lifting at least three times a week and focus on compound lifts which are squats, deadlifts, overhead press, incline press, dips, pull ups and lunges. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good starting point to learn proper form and nutrition.

Good advice!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you mean grow new muscle cells than probably not. If you mean develop the muscle tissue you have so that you are stronger and leaner, absolutely! With a few exceptions, specifically, obese people with excess fat stores, athletes returning to training after a layoff or "newbie gains", it's difficult at best and pretty much unlikely to grow new musle tissue without the fuel to make that happen by eating a calorie surplus. If one does eat at a surplus to build muscle, you also gain an amount of fat at the same time.

By eating a modest deficit and strength training, you can burn off fat and gain nueromuscular adaptations that will make you muscles more defined, slightly larger and stronger. The cardio will develop your muscular endurance and is helpful for sport specific training but it will not give you the muscle development that strength training will. Once you get throught the half, I'd change up my routine to 3 days strength 2 days cardio with a rest day mid week and 1 weekend day. Hope this helps!

this is what I mean! I know I have the muscles there, but I want to just lean out the muscles I have but I need to burn off some fat. I've heard strength training is a good way to do that.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I lose inches and got more toned through hoop dance. I got my hoop from www.hoopnotica.com I was going it for about an hour a day. Sometimes i lost track of time and went 3 hours at once. It's fun physically and mentally. And when I say hoop dance I do not mean just around the waist I mean actual tricks. Tricks you can learn for free on youtube. Just search for Babz Robinson or Safire Sandra or Seer5.

Also, Gunner Petersons Core Secrets worked for me.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question. To answer the original question, losing fat and gaining muscle are not goals you pick at the same time Yes, you can as adrenalinejun said you can get newbie gains. I have been heavy lifting, and am super amazed and happy with how well my body is changing and looking. Your muscle is what works on your behalf to burn off your fat. I have been doing heavy lifting and light on the cardio, and am super happy with the tone and changes I am seeing.

Also, I am told that loads of cardio works against muscle gain, so something to consider when you are done with your marathon.

Do you know your lean body mass? freedieting.com i believe has a calculator. And it's 1 gram/# bodyweight for your protein intake...more if you are heavy lifting. YouTube has lifting videos...here's an example Dumbell Chest press http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXTXm6V78MY

Maybe plan on pursuing weightlifing after you marathon!:)MinMin
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If you mean grow new muscle cells than probably not. If you mean develop the muscle tissue you have so that you are stronger and leaner, absolutely! With a few exceptions, specifically, obese people with excess fat stores,

Not sure that's right. Typically very obese people such as those 300 to 400 lbs have a fat percentage of between 35% and 50% so even the morbidly obese (over 40%) have a huge amount of lean body mass! They will not increase that whilst dieting and weight training. Someone who is 400lbs at morbidly obese 40%, has 240 lbs of muscle! If he slims to 250 lbs whilst weight training, he will not be all muscle! So certainly won't be gaining muscle whilst losing fat
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yes, others will tell you differently, but yes. Pro athletes do it all the time when they return to training from off season.

However, even more noticeable is that you will see more muscle definition as you lose weight. Hit a bmi in the low 20s and you will see muscle.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I know people here will tell you no, but I did. I was 25 at the time. I was just like you described yourself. I ran, took aerobics classes, and lifted heavy. During that time, I decreased my body fat and definitely gained muscle. In the end, I had great definition and size in both my arms and legs. Not competitor great - just regular-person-who-very-clearly-worked-out great. I didn't do anything special. I watched what I ate, kept doing cardio, and lifting. I did cardio and lifted on the same day at times too. I didn't have an overload of information, so I did what I could and had great results.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I know people here will tell you no, but I did. I was 25 at the time. I was just like you described yourself. I ran, took aerobics classes, and lifted heavy. During that time, I decreased my body fat and definitely gained muscle. In the end, I had great definition and size in both my arms and legs. Not competitor great - just regular-person-who-very-clearly-worked-out great. I didn't do anything special. I watched what I ate, kept doing cardio, and lifting. I did cardio and lifted on the same day at times too. I didn't have an overload of information, so I did what I could and had great results.
    First, I applaud your accomplishments. You showed great dedication and it paid off. If you are saying you gained muscle and you mean neuromuscular adaptation, meaning your underdeveloped muscle tissue developed and got somewhat bigger, stonger and more defined, I would completely agree. If you mean you grew new muscle tissue and were eating in a deficit then, beyond newbie gains, I would respectfully disagree. The question you'd have to ask is where did the fuel or energy come from to grow new muscle tissue? Neuromuscular adaptation can be quite impressive and is nothing to put down. Quite the opposite. But growing new muscle tissue and developing existing muscle tissue are 2 diiferent things. Also, you can certainly develop exiting muscle and decrease body fat. Matter of fact, eating in a deficit and doing the workout regime you were doing, it would be hard not to! Great job!!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Yes, others will tell you differently, but yes. Pro athletes do it all the time when they return to training from off season.

As I stated in my original post, I agree!
    "With a few exceptions, specifically, obese people with excess fat stores, athletes returning to training after a layoff or "newbie gains""
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    This is always a point of confusion for me. With so much to lose, sometimes I'm discouraged from weight lifting, but I'll just keep on keeping on.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

As I stated in my original post, I agree!
    "With a few exceptions, specifically, obese people with excess fat stores, athletes returning to training after a layoff or "newbie gains""
    Also, there's a huge difference between a professional athlete, with DECADES of training their body, returning from an off season layoff, and an untrained person that's never exercised before. A professional athlete can also run a 4.2 second 40 yard dash, that doesn't mean that someone who's never exercised before can go out and do it.

Also, for strength gains, the vast majority of strength gains come from neuromuscular adaptation, not new muscle tissue.
  • mmapags
    Options
    If you mean grow new muscle cells than probably not. If you mean develop the muscle tissue you have so that you are stronger and leaner, absolutely! With a few exceptions, specifically, obese people with excess fat stores,

Not sure that's right. Typically very obese people such as those 300 to 400 lbs have a fat percentage of between 35% and 50% so even the morbidly obese (over 40%) have a huge amount of lean body mass! They will not increase that whilst dieting and weight training. Someone who is 400lbs at morbidly obese 40%, has 240 lbs of muscle! If he slims to 250 lbs whilst weight training, he will not be all muscle! So certainly won't be gaining muscle whilst losing fat

As greater weight loss occurs, the growth of new muscle tissue would not continue in any kind of linear way. Should someone slim from 400 to 250 they would most certainly lose some muscle along with lot's of fat and not gaining muscle. But back at the begining of that process, they can for a time, gain new muscle tissue while in deficit as they would fuel the growth of the new tissue from excess fat stores as the energy source. The 3 instances of new muscle growth that I mentioned are commonly accepted in the medical and fitness community as the exceptions to the rule about gaining muscle while in defict. There are multiple threads about this here and there is a ton of info available on line that supports this.
  • mmapags
    Options
    This is always a point of confusion for me. With so much to lose, sometimes I'm discouraged from weight lifting, but I'll just keep on keeping on.

Please don't be discouraged! Strength Training is a great fat burner. You will develop you're muscle structure and lose weight. Lyle McDonald recomends a regimen of strength training and cardio for weight loss. I'm paraphasing but he says something like, diet for calorie deficit, strength training for muscle development and cardio to help with the deficit. Stay with it!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    First, I applaud your accomplishments. You showed great dedication and it paid off. If you are saying you gained muscle and you mean neuromuscular adaptation, meaning your underdeveloped muscle tissue developed and got somewhat bigger, stonger and more defined, I would completely agree. If you mean you grew new muscle tissue and were eating in a deficit then, beyond newbie gains, I would respectfully disagree. The question you'd have to ask is where did the fuel or energy come from to grow new muscle tissue? Neuromuscular adaptation can be quite impressive and is nothing to put down. Quite the opposite. But growing new muscle tissue and developing existing muscle tissue are 2 diiferent things. Also, you can certainly develop exiting muscle and decrease body fat. Matter of fact, eating in a deficit and doing the workout regime you were doing, it would be hard not to! Great job!!

Isn't it the neuromuscular adaptation that most women seek, for the most part? I mean, I want to be healthy and look good and burn more at rest and be able to do more as I advance into old age, not need help getting off the toilet. Do I need to grow new muscle tissue, and as a woman, can I even do that to any significant degree?
  • mmapags
    Options

Isn't it the neuromuscular adaptation that most women seek, for the most part? I mean, I want to be healthy and look good and burn more at rest and be able to do more as I advance into old age, not need help getting off the toilet. Do I need to grow new muscle tissue, and as a woman, can I even do that to any significant degree?

Yes, honeslty, I believe that to be the case. We want good genetic expression of our muscle structure (might be a mouthful, but the term "tone" is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me!). We want to be lean and we want to be strong. No we don't need to grow new muscle tissue for that. We can get healthy, look good and brun more as well as gain strength without growing new muscle tissue.

Last night I was watching the US Olympic trails and I was struck by the awesome genetic expression of the atheletes. I was watching hurdles and 800 meter I think. These atheletes was so lean and ripped and strong and none of them were big. Maybe some had worked at growing muscle tissue in, say, thier quads if they were a sprinter. But in their arms, thier abs, all over, they were developed and lean. They just looked awesome! Most from simple neuromusular adaptations.

Some people just need to think that they've grown muscle to feel like they've accomplished something. Developing your existing muscle to it's full potential is an amazing accomplishment. And besides, how many threads have we seen here about women that do not want to get bulky!! And as a woman without the anaerobic benefit of testosterone, it is a struggle at best. Heck, it's a struggle for men!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    i want to be more muscular and "toned" (i know people hate that word but you know what i mean) but i have this weird idea that i have to lose more weight to burn body fat to see muscle.

is it possible to burn fat and gain muscle simultaneously? if so, where do i start? how many calories do i eat, what do i eat, what exercises do i do etc?

my body fat percentage isnt super high but im flabbier than id like to be. ive been doing tons of cardio since im training for a half marathon thats in 2 weeks.

any tips? thanks in advance!!
    If you're:
    An athlete returning after a long layoff
    A "newbie" to weight lifting and never have lifted weights before
    Obese/very overweight and using lifting in your weight reduction program

then there may be some muscle gain, albeit minimal.

For the general population on a calorie deficit, the asnwer is no. Well if you're "enhanced" you can probably gain some. But again, non enhanced, no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I encourage weight training even if you dont "gain" muscle. Think of cardio as breaking you down - which is what it's doing. Resistance training will sort of build you back up after breaking yourself down. Its also important to get an adequate amount of fat and protein in your diet - carbs give you energy but do not do anything to help your body reconstruct itself.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Quote: "Yes, honestly, I believe that to be the case. We want good genetic expression of our muscle structure (might be a mouthful, but the term "tone" is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me!). We want to be lean and we want to be strong. No we don't need to grow new muscle tissue for that. We can get healthy, look good and burn more as well as gain strength without growing new muscle tissue.

Last night I was watching the US Olympic trials and I was struck by the awesome genetic expression of the athletes. I was watching hurdles and 800 meter I think. These athletes were so lean and ripped and strong and none of them were big. Maybe some had worked at growing muscle tissue in, say, their quads if they were a sprinter. But in their arms, their abs, all over, they were developed and lean. They just looked awesome! Most from simple neuro-muscular adaptations.

Some people just need to think that they've grown muscle to feel like they've accomplished something. Developing your existing muscle to it's full potential is an amazing accomplishment. And besides, how many threads have we seen here about women that do not want to get bulky!! And as a woman without the anaerobic benefit of testosterone, it is a struggle at best. Heck, it's a struggle for men!!" :End Quote

MY RESPONSE: Thanks everyone for all this great info and especially for this above quote. I've always been happy with "good genetic expression of my muscle structure" and "neuro-muscular adaptations" and "Developing my existing muscle to it's full potential", as a fit dancer. I like learning more and trying new things as well, but not over-complicating it for my own needs as a young, fit, busy, dancing, happy, mother (I am also lifting weights). I don't need to lose weight (that's never been an issue for me, I'm at 18% body fat), just working on my fitness as always. It is a continual learning process and needs to work for my body and lifestyle. I am mostly eating at maintenance right now, plus exercise calories and more if I'm hungry. I'll continue reading. It's also possible that sometimes the men misunderstand what women are looking for because they are looking for something quite different. My goal is to continue to always have my body healthy and my muscles doing what I need them to do when I am dancing.