is it possible to burn fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Options

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    It's like driving to Canada and Mexico at the same time.
    Isn't going to happen.
    And most "experts" claiming otherwise are usually selling something.
    BEWARE!
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Yes you can, I do it. You have to monitor your macronutrients on a weekly basis and alternate weeks between high carbohydrates and protein with the exercise to match. Can be done but takes effort and dedication. I've got pictures, body fat, muscle mass weight and BMI readings since I started.

You need to balance both protein and carbohydrates against your lean muscle mass every week and.hit those requirements.

Not simple but it is easy if you're determined.

And I'm not selling anything either.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think that have gained muscle when losing fat but really this is just the extra definition which appears when you are leaner.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i want to be more muscular and "toned" (i know people hate that word but you know what i mean) but i have this weird idea that i have to lose more weight to burn body fat to see muscle.

is it possible to burn fat and gain muscle simultaneously? if so, where do i start? how many calories do i eat, what do i eat, what exercises do i do etc?

my body fat percentage isnt super high but im flabbier than id like to be. ive been doing tons of cardio since im training for a half marathon thats in 2 weeks.

any tips? thanks in advance!!

Hiya!!!!

'Gaining muscle' is an interesting term. You're just making your muscles stronger, and bigger.

When you work your muscles out, the bigger they get, the more calories they are going to need in order to stay bigger. So to answer your question, yes, you can burn fat and gain muscle at the same time. This is also great if you ever want to break your clean eating and have something terrible for you - you won't gain a damn thing, lol. My hubby has TONS of muscle. He's no body builder, but he's got enough muscle that he can literally eat anything he wants and he won't gain. I'm so excited to get to that point, hehe.

I started by picking up an Oxygen magazine. They have some AWESOME routines. I got lucky and grabbed an issue with a three month strength building program, but if you can't find a magazine like that, go to Bodybuilding.com. They'll give you entire week-long routines you'll do in addition to your regular cardio.

What you DO need to know is that if you do a really hardcore weightlifting routine, your muscles will need sugar and carbs right afterwards. Also, try to have a little protein. Sooooo have an apple or a slice of bread and a can of tuna.to replenish, otherwise your muscles will start eating themselves.

Good luck! Hope this helps!!!!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, I do it. You have to monitor your macronutrients on a weekly basis and alternate weeks between high carbohydrates and protein with the exercise to match. Can be done but takes effort and dedication. I've got pictures, body fat, muscle mass weight and BMI readings since I started.

You need to balance both protein and carbohydrates against your lean muscle mass every week and.hit those requirements.

^^^^^^^^^
    ABSURD - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Those considering this question need to make sure to research this topic outside this forum.
    The truth is out there, and statements like the above just confuse beginners.
    Beware Bro-Science...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you mean grow new muscle cells than probably not. If you mean develop the muscle tissue you have so that you are stronger and leaner, absolutely! With a few exceptions, specifically, obese people with excess fat stores, athletes returning to training after a layoff or "newbie gains", it's difficult at best and pretty much unlikely to grow new musle tissue without the fuel to make that happen by eating a calorie surplus. If one does eat at a surplus to build muscle, you also gain an amount of fat at the same time.

By eating a modest deficit and strength training, you can burn off fat and gain nueromuscular adaptations that will make you muscles more defined, slightly larger and stronger. The cardio will develop your muscular endurance and is helpful for sport specific training but it will not give you the muscle development that strength training will. Once you get throught the half, I'd change up my routine to 3 days strength 2 days cardio with a rest day mid week and 1 weekend day. Hope this helps!

^^this
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

First, I applaud your accomplishments. You showed great dedication and it paid off. If you are saying you gained muscle and you mean neuromuscular adaptation, meaning your underdeveloped muscle tissue developed and got somewhat bigger, stonger and more defined, I would completely agree. If you mean you grew new muscle tissue and were eating in a deficit then, beyond newbie gains, I would respectfully disagree. The question you'd have to ask is where did the fuel or energy come from to grow new muscle tissue? Neuromuscular adaptation can be quite impressive and is nothing to put down. Quite the opposite. But growing new muscle tissue and developing existing muscle tissue are 2 diiferent things. Also, you can certainly develop exiting muscle and decrease body fat. Matter of fact, eating in a deficit and doing the workout regime you were doing, it would be hard not to! Great job!!

Isn't it the neuromuscular adaptation that most women seek, for the most part? I mean, I want to be healthy and look good and burn more at rest and be able to do more as I advance into old age, not need help getting off the toilet. Do I need to grow new muscle tissue, and as a woman, can I even do that to any significant degree?

Yes, honeslty, I believe that to be the case. We want good genetic expression of our muscle structure (might be a mouthful, but the term "tone" is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me!). We want to be lean and we want to be strong. No we don't need to grow new muscle tissue for that. We can get healthy, look good and brun more as well as gain strength without growing new muscle tissue.

Last night I was watching the US Olympic trails and I was struck by the awesome genetic expression of the atheletes. I was watching hurdles and 800 meter I think. These atheletes was so lean and ripped and strong and none of them were big. Maybe some had worked at growing muscle tissue in, say, thier quads if they were a sprinter. But in their arms, thier abs, all over, they were developed and lean. They just looked awesome! Most from simple neuromusular adaptations.

Some people just need to think that they've grown muscle to feel like they've accomplished something. Developing your existing muscle to it's full potential is an amazing accomplishment. And besides, how many threads have we seen here about women that do not want to get bulky!! And as a woman without the anaerobic benefit of testosterone, it is a struggle at best. Heck, it's a struggle for men!!

Excellent explanation.

In my opinion, the best way to approach this is to make the most of the muscle you have as mmapags explained and then reassess when you are down to a BF% you are happy with. If you wish to build new muscle, then you will have to eat at a surplus (which will mean some increase of BF%). However, many women want to be defined - which is basically what neuromusclar adaption will do. I think of the muscle like a ballon - a little deflated without working it, but with strength training, even at a deficit, you can blow that balloon up more.

ETA: make sure you get enough protein - rule of thumb is at least 0.65g of protein per lb of body weight.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I hope so, otherwise I have no idea why I've been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds since I joined the gym in April. Considering cancelling my membership as I'm too tired to go after work anyway since I'm on my feet for 10 hour shifts. Then can't I just eat at a deficit and then build the muscle once I'm thin? This is so confusing. >.<
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Lifting on a deficit will help to preserve what muscle you have, It will only help.

Interesting fact I can squat about 45 lbs more now than when I started. Now look at my ticker, ok. Did I gain muscle to be able to do this? Or am I just basically doing the same weight as I was?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I hope so, otherwise I have no idea why I've been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds since I joined the gym in April. Considering cancelling my membership as I'm too tired to go after work anyway since I'm on my feet for 10 hour shifts. Then can't I just eat at a deficit and then build the muscle once I'm thin? This is so confusing. >.<

This is the approach most people take, get lean first, then worry about building some muscle.

Better to have one goal and do it rather than trying to do 2 things and failing at both.

Don't quit the gym though, heavy lifting + plus some cardio will ensure you at least retain the muscle mass you have now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

This is the approach most people take, get lean first, then worry about building some muscle.

Better to have one goal and do it rather than trying to do 2 things and failing at both.

Don't quit the gym though, heavy lifting + plus some cardio will ensure you at least retain the muscle mass you have now.

Also, resistance training is very beneficial for other reasons, including bone density - which is particularly important with women as we are more prone to osteopreosis.
  • Erisad
    Options

Well, it took me since August 2010 to lose the first 50 pounds sooo I won't be building muscle for another few years, if I even want to. I don't want to end up a buff chick and scare my boyfriend away. :(

It doesn't seem to be working now anyway, so what's the point? I just want to be skinny so I don't look like a whale anymore. I don't need to look like an Olympian. >.<
  • Erisad
    Options

Also, resistance training is very beneficial for other reasons, including bone density - which is particularly important with women as we are more prone to osteopreosis.

My bones are already very dense. I fall down all the time and have never broken a bone. I drank a lot of milk as a kid and I still do now. :P
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    . I don't want to end up a buff chick and scare my boyfriend away. :(

I don't need to look like an Olympian. >.<

Yea cause this accidentally happens to every woman that touches a weight.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Heavy Lifting!

Check out the program ChaLean Extreme.

Also there are studies that support that CLA helps to maintain lean muscle mass while losing fat. I've been taking it and it seems to work!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Get New Rules of Lifting for Women...they also have an original for men.
    This has a formula for how many cals you need and food/workout plans!!
    It changed my whole outlook on being fit/healthy!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^
    ABSURD - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Those considering this question need to make sure to research this topic outside this forum.
    The truth is out there, and statements like the above just confuse beginners.
    Beware Bro-Science...

Totally agree Bobby!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options

exactly. I hate when women say this....it's not like you're going to be buff like that working out just 3 times a week....those women devote their lives to lifting. you will never look like them unless that is your intent and you're taking supplements, and in the gym for hours every single day
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Quote: "Excellent explanation.

In my opinion, the best way to approach this is to make the most of the muscle you have as mmapags explained and then reassess when you are down to a BF% you are happy with. If you wish to build new muscle, then you will have to eat at a surplus (which will mean some increase of BF%). However, many women want to be defined - which is basically what neuro-muscular adaption will do. I think of the muscle like a balloon - a little deflated without working it, but with strength training, even at a deficit, you can blow that balloon up more.

ETA: make sure you get enough protein - rule of thumb is at least 0.65g of protein per lb of body weight. :End Quote

MY RESPONSE: As always, thanks Sarauk2sf for all your great info and analogies! And thanks everyone else for all this great (not discouraging at all) information!!!
  • Erisad
    Options

I already lift twice a week and lift packages (some being really heavy) onto shelves when I go to work four days a week at the warehouse. If I lift anymore, I'll look scary after a while. I just want to be thin, that's it. I'll probably never achieve that either but it's worth a try.