WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• kittime
    kittime Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi from downunder in New Zealand !!
    my goal is to kick the flu and get moving !!!
    winter down here..need to cut out the comfort food
    and prepare for photos with a new Gchild in January !!
    I need friends for support..thank you
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HELP! How do you put pictures in the reply box?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Barb - I'm just going to drop the crosstitch issue with that gal. If it's who I suspect it is, I know her and she's the type of person who likes to be in charge and do things her way. Like she decided we'd have the Christmas party last year at her house, play the way she wanted to play, on the day whe wanted to have it. I didn't go, for one thing because I really didn't feel like driving all that way right before the holidays. We do a lot of decorating and I had better things to do with my time. Also, I didn't exactly feel like spending hours and hours playing mahjongg. She planned to play, break for lunch, then play some more. I'm sorry, but I just didn't have that kind of time. Also, since I'm fairly new, the way she wanted to play would have confused the heck out of me. So I just said that I needed to get new tires and get my car inspected. Reallly, I did that the week before, but I had no desire to spend the full day doing nothing but playing mahjongg. Maybe she did give me the crossstitch towels to make for her. Who knows? Should I get her next year, I'll make them and give them to her. To me, that would be nice.

Did an hour on the stairmaster today walking sideways (this works the inner and outer thighs more than walking just straight). Whenever I go on that Stairmaster, I get so sweaty. One time I tried walking sideways on the treadmill but I didn't get as sweaty. Wonder why? I'll have to see if you can adjust the resistance on the treadmill. Maybe that's it. The resistance on the Stairmaster seemed to be much more than the treadmill.

Tomorrow....the farmer's market and the yoga. There is this one guy at the farmer's market who sharpens knives, scissors, etc. I'm going to take him a few things tomorrow. I'm thinking that it isn't going to take all that long to sharpen them. I think this one lady who had blueberries last week may just have them this week, so I'll get some and maybe sneak them into the ballpark. I'm really not looking forward at all to the food. I remember last year having some of the chili, it had so much grease in it that I felt really "yuk" all night long. I'm thinking that I may also take in a bag of carrots with me. Am I brave enough to bring in a veggie burger? Time will tell just how brazen I am. There is a sign that says "no outside food or beverage" but I'm thinking that I'll take my "going to the movies pocketbook" with me. I don't think they looked in it last time. What I may do is put the food on the bottom of the pocketbook and then put something on top of it. Am I sneaky or what?

DeeDee - when I have something like your cake, I freeze it and then when I go to the soup kitchen I give it to them. I totally forgot that this lady made zucchini cookies for me. I ate one to be nice, but I'm going to give the rest to them. Really, the cookies weren't bad, but lately I've gotten to where I really prefer to have veges rather than cookies. I know that for me, after a while I get to where cakes and cookies just don't do it for me at all. Give me a juicy peach -- good eating! I think I'll get some zucchini, need more veges in the house. A friend gave me some crookneck squash from their garden. I cut it up, put a little balsamic vinegar on it...good eating

Kathy - many times (in the winter) I get the microwaveable steam veges, steam 1/2 a bag and just have those.

swkittrell - unfortunately, I'm not near Raleigh. I live in Newton (near Hickory). You know, you can change your goals. When I first came here to MFP, I think it said that I should have something like 1500 calories. I changed that to 1253. barbie - for the life of me, I can't remember how I did it, can you help her? Congrats on the weight loss, you're doing fabulous

Many is the time that I, too, will have greek yogurt for breakfast. With a teaspoonful of honey. Also makes for a fast breakfast.

kittime - welcome! When is the grandchild due?

Going to take a shower and then get to bed. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
    who still doesn't know if she'll be brazen enough to bring a veggie burger tomorrow or not
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Just want to wish you all a great- week-end.Computer so slow,not sure if it`e d.at related.Made it to 103 today,broke a record.
    Haven`t been outside in 2 days,heat advisory,and since I have asthma,don`t want to look for trouble.
    Enjoy reading the post.Welcome all newbies.
    Barb,love the advice for beginners.
    Take care
    jane
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Mom died in her sleep around 5AM this morning. She did not suffer and was herself right up going to bed last night. My brother, sister-in-law and all of us were with her.

While I am devastated by her passing, I know it is a good thing to have happened the way it did. We had just found out that she had lung cancer and only had 2-4 months to live. It is not making it any easier.

Hope to be back posting and logging in a few weeks.

Jeannie

So sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and yours during this sad time.:flowerforyou:

Laura80111
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. First day.

Who is Barbie?

Goal by end August is to lose 20 pounds, 10 pounds July, 10 pounds August.

Increase exercise time, decrease couch time. But then, when will I read?

Outdoors everyday, regardless of weather.

Cheers!
  • swkittrell
    swkittrell Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi Deb A
    I love to make quilts. I have made 2 rag quilts out of flannel. They were so easy and when you finish putting it together you do not have to do any quilting which makes it really nice. I have not quilted in a little over a year. I used to make quilts with my best friend and she passed away a year ago July 1st. She had a massive heart attack. I am just feeling like I might want to try and start quilting again. I signed up for a class so I will see if this helps.

I am trying to get adjusted to getting everything organized before I go back to work the 1st of Aug. I work at a high school and I
    work 11 months and have 1 month off. I will have to work on continuing to eating healthy, I have been doing this since the beginning of May so this should not be a problem I will need to find time to exercise, I will also have to find time to quilt, and I am in 2 Red Hat Society groups. Each group meets once a month. And I don't want to leave out spending time with my husband. We will see what happens I will have to stay organized if I want to accomplish everything. Just thinking about everything wears me out. LOL:laugh: :happy:
  • awebster2
    awebster2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Since I just really started in earnest a couple of days ago, my goal is to figure everything out and just try to be a little more active. It's been tough around here for the last few weeks as the smoke from wildfires has really bothered me. Hard to exercise when you're coughing all the time. It's finally gotten better and we actually have RAIN tonight to wash the junk out of the air.
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm from Kearney, Nebraska. I just started with MFP yesterday, and I am loving it so far. I am 54 years old and need to lose 100+ pounds. A few years ago, I joined a Fitness Club and lost 70 pounds, but I've gained 30 back! When my mom died in November, 2010, I lost interest in exercise and started using comfort foods. I need to get back on track! I want to enjoy physical activities without dragging around this extra weight which is exhausting. I want to join a forum for motivation, and this one looks perfect!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HELP! How do you put pictures in the reply box?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/415649-posting-pictures

this is a link to directions for posting pictures using photobucket or flickr

it takes a bit of trial and error to learn how to post pictures, but once you learn, you'll love and keep on doing it.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I hate to tell all of you with temperatures in the hundreds or the others in the southern hemisphere where it's winter or those of you near the fires, that today it was 74 degrees with blue skies....unfortunately, this is my day of two line dance classes so I saw a lot of the good weather through the window.......Fortunately tomorrow will be more of the same and I have no place to go except outdoors in my yard to work on my rock project or around the neighborhood to walk Brandy and Sasha.

:flowerforyou: I wish everyone who asked a question about what they could be doing differently, would have their food and exercise diary open so we'd know what you're doing already....what you eat and how you exercise is important to know, not just how many calories you eat or burn.

:flowerforyou: since I started on MFP, I do less reading except in bed or the bathroom and do crafts rarely.....when losing weight and being healthy became a top priority, other things had to go down farther on the list.

:bigsmile: :heart: :yawn: Barbie from NW Washington
  • CathEsh
    Options
    My goals:

Lose 1-2 pounds per week
    Exercise 30 minutes each day at least 5 times a week
    Eat around 1500 calories each day
    Log my food intake and exercise activities each day
    Feel better, gain more energy
    Enjoy daily activities without tiring so easily
    Set goal weight at 10 pound increments
    Beginning weight: 254
    First goal weight: 240
  • CathEsh
    Options
    I am trying to figure out how to reply to this post, so bear with me!

Posted by swkittrell:
    Hi everyone, Thank you for the warm welcome. I hope everyone had a nice 4th of July. It was quiet at my house. I am an eleven month employee at a high school in NC so I am off for the month of July. I answer the phone and sign the students in and out. Can I say CRAZY??? I have arthritis in my knees so all my exercise is done on machines. It's amazing I can ride the exercise bike and have no problems with my knees while on the bike. If I go shopping and there is not a shopping cart to lean on I have to use a cane. I have been exercising since the beginning of May so hopefully eventually I will be able to walk without the cane. This is one of my goals. The doctor said I need to loose 50 lbs. and that is just to start off. Today I rode the exercise bike for 8 miles then worked out on the rest of the equipment (upper body and lower body). Is anyone having the problem of not eating enough calories? The food section after I enter everything for my day says I am not eating enough??? I am not hungry and I am eating around 1200 calories. When I enter my exercise I do then I gets worse on the calories because it subtracts the calories burned. This is driving me nuts.How does everyone handle this??? I hope very one enjoys the rest of their day. Thanks for listening!!
  • CathEsh
    Options
    I know the miseries of knee pain. I had terrible arthritis in my knees. I could do circuit training and bike riding, but walking was out of the question. I, too, used a shopping cart to lean on while at the store. In June, 2009, I had a total knee replacement on my left knee. In June, 2010, I had a total knee replacement on my right knee. I absolutely love being free of knee pain! I have arthritis in my feet which can hinder me, so I really need to lose weight (not only for my feet but also to increase the life of my knees). Good luck with your exercise regime. I hope it helps relieve your knee pain.
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    swkitterill- I love to quilt, but never seem to find the time. Thought that the rag quilt may be faster. I teach and never seem to have much down time during the school year, so thought I might be able to finish this one quickly this summer.

It's a great idea to get the eating down before returning to work. I found that eating only what I took to work saved me many calories and helped me stay on track. Before putting that "rule" in place, I would snack on the cookies, cakes, chips, etc. that others would bring in to share. During the last school year I got some friendly teasing about my healthy lunches, but I also was able to lose 70 pounds and become so much healthier. I am not quite where I need to be, but everything I do is easier now.
    Hope it all works out well for you and that you find time to do some quilting. I find it to be a great way to unwind.

Deb A
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Love love love this gorgeous sunny weather! :love: Of course we Oregonians are generally sun-starved and often soaking wet :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Nancy, ah yes, the plateau. Below is the blog post I wrote back in March, called Plateau City. This was really good for me to read again since I'm trying to learn how to maintain, which seems mighty similar to a plateau, except it seems like a bit happier place. Plateaus are miserable! :grumble: Good luck to you, maybe you'll need to change things up a bit and try eating a bit differently. I had to cut carbs to under 100 a day. Bingo!

Plateau City
    "I've been out of town for awhile, visiting a place called Plateau City. It's not a bad place, really, it's fairly laid back and by no means a tourist trap. The streets aren't lined with brightly colored items for sale, or postcards. You can't find any candy or jewelry anywhere. There are no little tents or canopies set up along the roads with wares for sale or carts being tended by food vendors. I miss the aroma of corn dogs. There might be an occasional whiff of a solitary pine tree. Flowers don't bloom very often in Plateau City. I think I saw a rose blooming there last time I visited. Just one rose, dirty, dusky pink in color and not the least bit fragrant. The street lights are on at night but are rather on the dim side.
    Plateau City is located up at the top of a very steep slope which takes weeks and possibly months to climb. Once you reach the top you'll find the landscape is flat and mostly barren, much like a mesa in the southwestern states. On the ground are stones and dirt. Dust storms blow the sand up into your face every so often, reminding you that you're visiting a place you're not accustomed to and one you don't want to remain in for long.
    It's a place I don't really care to visit, but for some reason I've been forced into going there several times on my journey. This time seems like the longest, most drawn out of all. There's no going up, no going down. I'm stuck there. I've been looking all over for a trail leading downward towards the lower valleys which are teeming with enthusiasm and success.
    One thing to consider about Plateau City is that it might be akin to the town of Maintenence. I think I'll take note of this fact and store it away for future reference. After all, there will be a future once I've left this flat patch of ground."

:flowerforyou: And Barbie, I read your words ..........."since I started on MFP, I do less reading except in bed or the bathroom and do crafts rarely.....when losing weight and being healthy became a top priority, other things had to go down farther on the list."

I'm exactly the same way!

I'd love to start working on my paintings again, write some new songs and record another CD. Right now I'm up to my ears in gardening, but maybe by this fall I'll be ready to start doing some creative things again. The making of the "new me" has taken up most of my free time. I'm not at all sorry, not one little bit, but I miss a few things that I used to do on a regular basis. I feel like I've completed a college course in diet and nutrition! :bigsmile:

I'll check in again soon, welcome to everyone new, and hey, it's nice to see Mimi again! :smile:

Stay strong, stay focused and above all, be happy. :smile:

jb
  • CathEsh
    Options
    Barb - I'm just going to drop the crosstitch issue with that gal. If it's who I suspect it is, I know her and she's the type of person who likes to be in charge and do things her way. Like she decided we'd have the Christmas party last year at her house, play the way she wanted to play, on the day whe wanted to have it. I didn't go, for one thing because I really didn't feel like driving all that way right before the holidays. We do a lot of decorating and I had better things to do with my time. Also, I didn't exactly feel like spending hours and hours playing mahjongg. She planned to play, break for lunch, then play some more. I'm sorry, but I just didn't have that kind of time. Also, since I'm fairly new, the way she wanted to play would have confused the heck out of me. So I just said that I needed to get new tires and get my car inspected. Reallly, I did that the week before, but I had no desire to spend the full day doing nothing but playing mahjongg. Maybe she did give me the crossstitch towels to make for her. Who knows? Should I get her next year, I'll make them and give them to her. To me, that would be nice.

Did an hour on the stairmaster today walking sideways (this works the inner and outer thighs more than walking just straight). Whenever I go on that Stairmaster, I get so sweaty. One time I tried walking sideways on the treadmill but I didn't get as sweaty. Wonder why? I'll have to see if you can adjust the resistance on the treadmill. Maybe that's it. The resistance on the Stairmaster seemed to be much more than the treadmill.

Tomorrow....the farmer's market and the yoga. There is this one guy at the farmer's market who sharpens knives, scissors, etc. I'm going to take him a few things tomorrow. I'm thinking that it isn't going to take all that long to sharpen them. I think this one lady who had blueberries last week may just have them this week, so I'll get some and maybe sneak them into the ballpark. I'm really not looking forward at all to the food. I remember last year having some of the chili, it had so much grease in it that I felt really "yuk" all night long. I'm thinking that I may also take in a bag of carrots with me. Am I brave enough to bring in a veggie burger? Time will tell just how brazen I am. There is a sign that says "no outside food or beverage" but I'm thinking that I'll take my "going to the movies pocketbook" with me. I don't think they looked in it last time. What I may do is put the food on the bottom of the pocketbook and then put something on top of it. Am I sneaky or what?

DeeDee - when I have something like your cake, I freeze it and then when I go to the soup kitchen I give it to them. I totally forgot that this lady made zucchini cookies for me. I ate one to be nice, but I'm going to give the rest to them. Really, the cookies weren't bad, but lately I've gotten to where I really prefer to have veges rather than cookies. I know that for me, after a while I get to where cakes and cookies just don't do it for me at all. Give me a juicy peach -- good eating! I think I'll get some zucchini, need more veges in the house. A friend gave me some crookneck squash from their garden. I cut it up, put a little balsamic vinegar on it...good eating

Kathy - many times (in the winter) I get the microwaveable steam veges, steam 1/2 a bag and just have those.

swkittrell - unfortunately, I'm not near Raleigh. I live in Newton (near Hickory). You know, you can change your goals. When I first came here to MFP, I think it said that I should have something like 1500 calories. I changed that to 1253. barbie - for the life of me, I can't remember how I did it, can you help her? Congrats on the weight loss, you're doing fabulous

Many is the time that I, too, will have greek yogurt for breakfast. With a teaspoonful of honey. Also makes for a fast breakfast.

kittime - welcome! When is the grandchild due?

Going to take a shower and then get to bed. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
    who still doesn't know if she'll be brazen enough to bring a veggie burger tomorrow or not
  • CathEsh
    Options
    RE: Changing goals. Go to "My Home" then click on "goals." At the bottom you can click the green button that says "change goals."
  • seventeendayer
    seventeendayer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this forum (women age 50+). I have been looking on here for something like this forum. I am excited!! I join MFP last year but did nothing with it till this year. I have lost about 20 lbs. since about Feb. I would like to lose another 18 lbs. to be in my healthy weight range.
    My goals for July are:
    1. Continue staying in my daily calorie goals set up by MFP. (The daily logging has really helped!)
    2. Continue walking alot.
    3. Do more variety of exercises such as strength training, swimming, and exercise videos and games. ( Lately I have been doing Wii Zumba fitness 2, and The Abs Diet Workout.)
    4. Be more patient with myself in this weight loss journey.
    5. Be a support to the women on this forum.
  • seventeendayer
    seventeendayer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Today I walked an hour with our lab and my husband and did a full class of Wii Zumba (65minutes).