Victoria's Secret and clothes shopping...uuuugh.

Options

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    First of all -- Victoria's Secret does not make clothes for real women. I will be happy to never shop there again. There are other stores. It seems like options are limited where you are which is certainly a challenge but not insurmountable. Try Eddie Bauer -- they size well, shipping is often free and returns are very easy. I am 200+ and typically wear a 16W - Eddie Bauer stuff is stylish and fits well. I also like Ann Taylor Loft (they have awesome sales very frequently and their tops are cut well for fuller figures). Kohls sometimes has good stuff but you have to pick and choose. Avoid the older lady section and stick to the more stylish pieces. They also have a great selection of bras. You may have to work a bit to find cute clothes but you are very attractive and it will be worth it. I have also found good things on Amazon of all places - especially if I find a brand I like which I can't find close to me. Hope this helps a bit.

That's the thing, my bf wants to be able to buy me things from there someday but he hates when I tell him that I'm too fat to fit their stuff. He says I'm not fat but the numbers don't lie. :(

i rarely go to Kohl's anymore. It's about 30 minutes away but I spend too much money there. I'll probably just stick with the clothes I got until I'm not a fatass anymore. >.<

Lol I work in an Amazon warehouse, we have everything. I haven't stowed a lot of clothes though. Probably at another warehouse.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I think that clothing manufacturers generally attempt to drive people nuts. I'm short but small, and it is still close to impossible to find clothes that fit me. at my height, I should apparently not have hips or boobs or both. Don't worry about it. You will get a chance to complain about all that too.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    First of all -- Victoria's Secret does not make clothes for real women. I will be happy to never shop there again. There are other stores. It seems like options are limited where you are which is certainly a challenge but not insurmountable. Try Eddie Bauer -- they size well, shipping is often free and returns are very easy. I am 200+ and typically wear a 16W - Eddie Bauer stuff is stylish and fits well. I also like Ann Taylor Loft (they have awesome sales very frequently and their tops are cut well for fuller figures). Kohls sometimes has good stuff but you have to pick and choose. Avoid the older lady section and stick to the more stylish pieces. They also have a great selection of bras. You may have to work a bit to find cute clothes but you are very attractive and it will be worth it. I have also found good things on Amazon of all places - especially if I find a brand I like which I can't find close to me. Hope this helps a bit.

That's the thing, my bf wants to be able to buy me things from there someday but he hates when I tell him that I'm too fat to fit their stuff. He says I'm not fat but the numbers don't lie. :(

i rarely go to Kohl's anymore. It's about 30 minutes away but I spend too much money there. I'll probably just stick with the clothes I got until I'm not a fatass anymore. >.<

Lol I work in an Amazon warehouse, we have everything. I haven't stowed a lot of clothes though. Probably at another warehouse.

So this entire discussion is based on where your bf wants to shop for you?

Nearly every suggestion that people made you shot down. I don't think size or weight is your primary issue - it's self-image. Where you (or your boyfriend) buy your clothes should not be the thing that ultimately decides your personal worth.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am an avid underwear/bra shopper. One of my favorite things to do is shop for underwear. I hate shopping for anything else. Literally. Personally, Victoria's Secret is a joke. Yeah, it's cute and sexy, but their prices suck along with the quality. I usually shop at JCPenny's for underwear and bra's. They always have great deals and they last a long time.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I broke through the plateau by upping my calorie intake to 1800 a day. I am generally burning almost 1,000 calories per workout (doing p90x). Try playing with your calorie intake some and Changing your typical workout routine.
  • Erisad
    Options

So this entire discussion is based on where your bf wants to shop for you?

Nearly every suggestion that people made you shot down. I don't think size or weight is your primary issue - it's self-image. Where you (or your boyfriend) buy your clothes should not be the thing that ultimately decides your personal worth.

It's part of it. He just seems to drawn towards to that store. I try to get him to look at the ones in JcPenny's and Sears and he doesn't seem to like them as well.

My self image will improve as my physical image does. Plain and simple. Believe it or not, I used to be worse. I used to be suicidal over this sort of thing, as I've lost 53 pounds I'm to the point where I wouldn't kill myself over my weight. Maybe if I lost another 30-50 I'd be able to like how I look as much as the boyfriend does. *sigh*
    I am an avid underwear/bra shopper. One of my favorite things to do is shop for underwear. I hate shopping for anything else. Literally. Personally, Victoria's Secret is a joke. Yeah, it's cute and sexy, but their prices suck along with the quality. I usually shop at JCPenny's for underwear and bra's. They always have great deals and they last a long time.

They do have good deals. I guess it's just the brand I'm caught up in. Like if I can't fit into VS stuff, I'm not sexy. I guess I've been conditioned by the media this way to think I have to look like one of their Angels in order to be attractive.
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    I understand what you are talking about. I was a store manager for VS for 6 yrs. They used to carry those sizes. Within the past 2ys they have changed their "target group". They stopped carrying XL anything, certain styles like high leg briefs, and all 40 band sizes. I guess WE are not the image they want. It is such a shame. I have lost almost 50 lbs. I wear a 12-14 and I still can not wear their stuff. I'm glad that I don't represent them anymore.
    Just FYI.....Lane Bryant has GREAT bras and panties. They start at a 36 in their band. I LOVE the balconet (sp?) bra. You should try it.
  • Erisad
    Options
    I understand what you are talking about. I was a store manager for VS for 6 yrs. They used to carry those sizes. Within the past 2ys they have changed their "target group". They stopped carrying XL anything, certain styles like high leg briefs, and all 40 band sizes. I guess WE are not the image they want. It is such a shame. I have lost almost 50 lbs. I wear a 12-14 and I still can not wear their stuff. I'm glad that I don't represent them anymore.
    Just FYI.....Lane Bryant has GREAT bras and panties. They start at a 36 in their band. I LOVE the balconet (sp?) bra. You should try it.

I don't understand why. They would make more money if they sold those extra sizes as they fit a lot of women. Their marketing is stupid. Why would they sell things that most of their employees can't wear? I asked one of their workers if they had my size and she said I could, "squeeze into a large cuz they're kinda stretchy." I thanked her and walked out of the store. I don't want to have to suck it in to wear a pair of panties. :/

Maybe I will check them out when I want to get some more. :P
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    in regards to the boyfriend being drawn to that store, it's normal, but what he should be more focused on is finding things in your size rather than wanting you to shop there. they are very over priced to be honest and i only buy panties there online when there is a sale going on. i have never shopped in store for panties at VS. their online selection is larger and in certain cuts i have to have an extra large and some i need larges and they don't always have larges left when i've gone in. there was a website i used to visit when i was MUCH larger (i'm talking like size 24ish...) when my husband was on his first deployment i found the most beautiful undies, bras, and nighties. www.hipsandcurves.com they are very true to their size in my opinion and they have some really cute sexy things. we did a lot of shopping online together while he was deployed and i bought a few "surprises" for when he got home. :)
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    VS is the most annoying place in the world to me. I can technically fit into their bras (36D) but their quality sucks and so do their prices. I don't fit into their panties correctly. I don't understand the fascination with that store. I guess they just have a great marketing team.

Here are some stores to try: Marshalls, Ross (cute lingere), Khols, Maidenform outlet, JCPenny, Sears

Actually the best bras I've ever had came from a flea market. 6 bras for $30. They carried up to a 44DD I believe. I still have them. Very supportive and great colors. You could potentially try that if you have a big flea market by you.
  • Erisad
    Options
    in regards to the boyfriend being drawn to that store, it's normal, but what he should be more focused on is finding things in your size rather than wanting you to shop there. they are very over priced to be honest and i only buy panties there online when there is a sale going on. i have never shopped in store for panties at VS. their online selection is larger and in certain cuts i have to have an extra large and some i need larges and they don't always have larges left when i've gone in. there was a website i used to visit when i was MUCH larger (i'm talking like size 24ish...) when my husband was on his first deployment i found the most beautiful undies, bras, and nighties. www.hipsandcurves.com they are very true to their size in my opinion and they have some really cute sexy things. we did a lot of shopping online together while he was deployed and i bought a few "surprises" for when he got home. :)

I guess what gets me is that I feel like I'm supposed to be that size and if I never gained all this weight, I probably wouldn't have even noticed that they don't carry larger sizes. *sigh*

Yeah, but I don't like buying that kind of stuff online, especially when I'm living at home. "Hey what did you get in the mail, sweetie?" "Nothing grandma!" Maybe I'll hold off on that until I move out. >.<
  • 97emily97
    97emily97 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try Kohls or Target! They have a lot of bigger sizes and pretty stuff in bigger sizes too. Hope this helps :)
  • Erisad
    Options
    VS is the most annoying place in the world to me. I can technically fit into their bras (36D) but their quality sucks and so do their prices. I don't fit into their panties correctly. I don't understand the fascination with that store. I guess they just have a great marketing team.

Here are some stores to try: Marshalls, Ross (cute lingere), Khols, Maidenform outlet, JCPenny, Sears

Actually the best bras I've ever had came from a flea market. 6 bras for $30. They carried up to a 44DD I believe. I still have them. Very supportive and great colors. You could potentially try that if you have a big flea market by you.

I don't know if I have a flea market that sells bras, most of ours are Amish flea markets with wonderful pastries. :love:

I do shop at those places now for lingerie. I guess I don't feel sexy in them I guess, then again I don't think I'll ever feel sexy as I am now as I close my eyes when I'm in the shower so I don't see myself. That and VS is like the only lingerie store in most malls so we're conditioned to think that if you can't wear their stuff, you aren't sexy.
  • Erisad
    Options
    Try Kohls or Target! They have a lot of bigger sizes and pretty stuff in bigger sizes too. Hope this helps :)

We don't go to Kohl's too much anymore as we spend too much money there. That and it's always busy and parking is a pain as it's the only one in the area. I've never been a fan of Target's clothes, they seem cheaply made so I never really considered them an option, sorry. I go to Target for beauty products, books and food and that's pretty much it. Sorry if I'm being a pain. I'm just a very negative person sometimes. >.<
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration on the VS thing. My husband keeps telling me "Let's go to VS and buy you sexy underthings". Then I remind him that it's overpriced and the quality is bad he just gives up for a few weeks. They seriously have a hold on the market. Why can't men accept that other bras and panties are sexy. I feel your pain.

You also have to stop beating yourself up over gaining weight. S*&t happens, people arent perfect and they gain weight. I bet if you stop feeling terrible about yourself, you might be more successful. I notice when I am depressed or feeling low my weight plateaus.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It also sounds like you just want to rant. People are being supportive and trying to suggest options and you are knocking them all down. Hope you find whatever answers you are looking for.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. Can never get a bra in my size in Victorias Secret (or anywhere except Target and Kohls!) because my boobs are so small. I dont know if you have a DEB near you but they have plus sizes and some of their clothes are pretty cute.
  • Erisad
    Options
    I feel your frustration on the VS thing. My husband keeps telling me "Let's go to VS and buy you sexy underthings". Then I remind him that it's overpriced and the quality is bad he just gives up for a few weeks. They seriously have a hold on the market. Why can't men accept that other bras and panties are sexy. I feel your pain.

You also have to stop beating yourself up over gaining weight. S*&t happens, people arent perfect and they gain weight. I bet if you stop feeling terrible about yourself, you might be more successful. I notice when I am depressed or feeling low my weight plateaus.

The thing is, I've always been overweight since I gained puberty. I was always the fat friend, the ugly teen that boys would ask out as a joke and laugh at me. I never got to be the pretty girl and I'm sick of it.
    It also sounds like you just want to rant. People are being supportive and trying to suggest options and you are knocking them all down. Hope you find whatever answers you are looking for.

I do because I have no one to talk to about this stuff at home. Mom yells at me when I cry or rant about my problems because they aren't as important as her problems. My brother just says, "Oh god, what are you crying about now?! Shut up." Grandma just sees every opportunity to bash that I left the church and that I'm going to hell for wanting nothing to do with the hateful Christian community. Aside from my boyfriend, I have no support anywhere in my life. So when I want to rant and he's at work, I have to turn to the internet because I live with a bunch of insensitive Christians who want me to behave just like them 100% of the time.
  • Erisad
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. Can never get a bra in my size in Victorias Secret (or anywhere except Target and Kohls!) because my boobs are so small. I dont know if you have a DEB near you but they have plus sizes and some of their clothes are pretty cute.

I've never even heard of that store so I'll just go on a limb and say they aren't in the area. Fat people stores are hard to come by where I am, unless I want to buy clothes from Walmart and they never have anything sexy or cute. >.<
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Victoria's secret is alright. I've bought their boyfriend jeans and love them...I'm a 14 up top but an 18/20 on the bottom depending...Right now I can't get in my boyfriend jeans but...I'm working on that. I can tell you clothes that are tailored are better than the cheap stuff off the rack any day of the week. I stalk Macy's late at night and find great deals...and you can return them to the store if they don't work out versus mailing them back. I got a pair of Donna Karen slacks for $4.00 and they were regularly 100$. Also Fredericks of Hollywood has a large selection to cater to plus size girls. Either way its all made in China these days so the quality is what it is.

Old Navy is great for work out clothes and thank goodness they have a tall section for me as well. The Avenue is good and so is Ashley Stewart. Good luck.