Victoria's Secret and clothes shopping...uuuugh.

Options

Replies

• donovanart
    donovanart Posts: 55
    Options
    I feel the same way!! Whats worse is trying to find a sexy outfit for those nights with your man, and NONE of them fit! I'm 38DD and between a l-xl in panties, and it seems the stores never have anything for these sizes. :/ just another motive for shedding these pounds off me!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Try Kohls or Target! They have a lot of bigger sizes and pretty stuff in bigger sizes too. Hope this helps :)

We don't go to Kohl's too much anymore as we spend too much money there. That and it's always busy and parking is a pain as it's the only one in the area. I've never been a fan of Target's clothes, they seem cheaply made so I never really considered them an option, sorry. I go to Target for beauty products, books and food and that's pretty much it. Sorry if I'm being a pain. I'm just a very negative person sometimes. >.<

Target's stuff is SO much better..their quality has increased dramatically in the past few years. Now Walmart, that's a whole different ballgame, LOL
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    honestly, VS does have clothing for real women. They might not carry certain sizes but plenty of women shop there. You just have to wait until you work on things a little bit more to wear them. There are plenty other sites and store that sell similar undies, ITS JUST UNDIES!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    This post is nothing but you whining and shooting down EVERY SINGLE SUGGESTION people make for one reason or another. Get off the forum and find a therapist. Your issues are far beyond what the scale says.

Again - your self worth should not be tied to a store, or underwear. Sexiness is not defined by the size of clothing you wear. If you don't work on changing your way of thinking, YOU WILL NEVER BE HAPPY. This whole thread is proof of that.

I've been through counseling, they just want me to get on anti-depressants, which is what contributed to my weight in the first place so no thank you. I'm honestly just moody and needed to vent. Sometimes I'm really happy.

As for shooting down suggestions, I can't make stores automatically appear in my area, nor can I drive for hours trying to find some of them (I don't even own a car). If I tried something and it hasn't worked, why would I agree to try it again? I thought this was a website for support. If I wanted to be told that I'm just whining and have no real problems worth complaining about, I'd just talk to my family thank you very much.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I know I am a guy, however, maybe my input can help some.

First off, it really does suck that lingerie and other higher end fashion stores don't cater to the average human being. I personally can't stand Victoria's because their employees tend to turn their noses up to the average person and treat them like crap.

Any way, I would recommend Lane Bryant. My wife is in the same boat your are and I have a lot of fun going there with her; probably a little too much fun. They have some really nice lingerie there ...... oh the hell with being polite ...... they have some really hot bras, panties, nighties, etc. there. I could go broke there buying the sexy bras and panties for her. PLUS, the bras provide the support she needs for her larger bust size, too.
  • Erisad
    Options
    ^^^^^True! You gotta shop for YOU, not your bf. First he says VS encourages eating disorders, yet then he wants you to shop there? I am lost.

You are a very pretty girl and lots of stores have cute clothes for those of us who aren't a size 4. Even Target has some cute stuff. Once you know what size you wear from a certain store, ordering online isn't so bad. Yeah, you might have to return a few things but return shipping isn't that much anymore (now that all retailers are trying to get people to shop online), and if you can find something you like it's worth it,

I've been 6' tall since I was 13 so I'm an avid online shopper. Options are there for you, though I understand how depressing it can be when all your friends want to shop at the mall and you just tag along, or whatever.

Find some clothes that make you feel good about you and tell your bf to mind his business about where you buy your undies. He should just be happy he gets to see them, no matter where you buy them!

I think he has a mixed feeling about VS. He hates how they encourage eating disorders but he thinks their lingerie is cute and wishes I could wear them but he also likes how I look now. Basically he just wants the XL sizes back. :laugh:
  • Erisad
    Options
    Try Kohls or Target! They have a lot of bigger sizes and pretty stuff in bigger sizes too. Hope this helps :)

We don't go to Kohl's too much anymore as we spend too much money there. That and it's always busy and parking is a pain as it's the only one in the area. I've never been a fan of Target's clothes, they seem cheaply made so I never really considered them an option, sorry. I go to Target for beauty products, books and food and that's pretty much it. Sorry if I'm being a pain. I'm just a very negative person sometimes. >.<

Target's stuff is SO much better..their quality has increased dramatically in the past few years. Now Walmart, that's a whole different ballgame, LOL

Walmart = Pjs and workout clothes. That's pretty much it for their fashion. :laugh:

Maybe I'll have to look at Target again. >.>
  • Erisad
    Options

First off, it really does suck that lingerie and other higher end fashion stores don't cater to the average human being. I personally can't stand Victoria's because their employees tend to turn their noses up to the average person and treat them like crap.

Any way, I would recommend Lane Bryant. My wife is in the same boat your are and I have a lot of fun going there with her; probably a little too much fun. They have some really nice lingerie there ...... oh the hell with being polite ...... they have some really hot bras, panties, nighties, etc. there. I could go broke there buying the sexy bras and panties for her. PLUS, the bras provide the support she needs for her larger bust size, too.

I'm trying to remember where the closest Lane Bryant is. Like 30 minutes? I don't know. I bought some bras from JCPenny's recently so I should be okay for a while. I was just looking at VS for funsies with the bf and this issue came up. >.<
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When it comes to VS, or any store for that matter, it's not always about the sizes they carry or the size you are- some places make clothes that don't fit body TYPES, regardless of the weight. I've been 120 lbs and I've been 195 lbs (I'm 5'4.5"). Regardless of my weight, I've always been able to get panties at VS but never bras because they have a weird gap when I wear them (I used to be a 34C and now I'm a 38D or DD- depending on the bra style). I also can get tops at Gap or Old Navy but never pants- they're WAY too small at the waist and are HUGE in the thighs- for me, personally. When it comes to not being able to shop at certain stores, try not to take it personally because it really isn't always about your size versus the size of their models.

I often have luck at department stores or stores like Kohls- I feel like those stores, because of all the different brands they carry, don't cater to one particular body style. One brand might fit awfully while another might fit great! It's been this way for me all my life, whether overweight or not. So whatever department stores you have in your area, I would recommend checking those out and try all sorts of brands and styles. It can take a while and be frustrating, but in the end you can hopefully find some brands and styles that work for you.

Also, most guys wouldn't know VS from any other lingerie if you don't tell them, and they probably don't really care- they'll be just excited you're wearing something you feel good in :) Maybe VS always sticks out in your bf's mind because it's the most well-known place- other places might have just as sexy clothes but how would he know that?
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

My husband feels the same way! I just got too small for Lane Bryant bras but I can still rock the undies. He's cool, whatever, and hell, if your bf thinks you're sexy, he'll think you're sexy in plain old cotton undies (okay, maybe we're not all that sexy in granny panties but wtfe). Most guys just want you out of the undies anyway. LOL
  • Erisad
    Options
    When it comes to VS, or any store for that matter, it's not always about the sizes they carry or the size you are- some places make clothes that don't fit body TYPES, regardless of the weight. I've been 120 lbs and I've been 195 lbs (I'm 5'4.5"). Regardless of my weight, I've always been able to get panties at VS but never bras because they have a weird gap when I wear them (I used to be a 34C and now I'm a 38D or DD- depending on the bra style). I also can get tops at Gap or Old Navy but never pants- they're WAY too small at the waist and are HUGE in the thighs- for me, personally. When it comes to not being able to shop at certain stores, try not to take it personally because it really isn't always about your size versus the size of their models.

I often have luck at department stores or stores like Kohls- I feel like those stores, because of all the different brands they carry, don't cater to one particular body style. One brand might fit awfully while another might fit great! It's been this way for me all my life, whether overweight or not. So whatever department stores you have in your area, I would recommend checking those out and try all sorts of brands and styles. It can take a while and be frustrating, but in the end you can hopefully find some brands and styles that work for you.

Also, most guys wouldn't know VS from any other lingerie if you don't tell them, and they probably don't really care- they'll be just excited you're wearing something you feel good in :) Maybe VS always sticks out in your bf's mind because it's the most well-known place- other places might have just as sexy clothes but how would he know that?

Lol, I don't think he'd know if I own anything from them or not if I didn't bring the size issue to light (damn my big mouth!) He says, "Hun, you're not fat you just got big boobs and maybe Victoria's jealous because she's flat." Awww, I love him. :heart:

I don't go to Kohl's often but when I do...I spend my entire paycheck. :laugh: I wish I was kidding but I'm not. I hit the clearance racks, lingerie, jewelry section and shoes and before you know it I've racked up a huuuuuge bill. Oh well, at least the stuff is nice. I plan on going there again after I go down another size or two. :)
  • Erisad
    Options

My husband feels the same way! I just got too small for Lane Bryant bras but I can still rock the undies. He's cool, whatever, and hell, if your bf thinks you're sexy, he'll think you're sexy in plain old cotton undies (okay, maybe we're not all that sexy in granny panties but wtfe). Most guys just want you out of the undies anyway. LOL

Lol, true that. :blushing:
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Lol, I don't think he'd know if I own anything from them or not if I didn't bring the size issue to light (damn my big mouth!) He says, "Hun, you're not fat you just got big boobs and maybe Victoria's jealous because she's flat." Awww, I love him. :heart:

I don't go to Kohl's often but when I do...I spend my entire paycheck. :laugh: I wish I was kidding but I'm not. I hit the clearance racks, lingerie, jewelry section and shoes and before you know it I've racked up a huuuuuge bill. Oh well, at least the stuff is nice. I plan on going there again after I go down another size or two. :)

Sounds like a shopping spree might be a nice gift to yourself for hitting a goal (any goal, whether it's 5 lbs, 10 lbs, or whatever)! Love the comment about Victoria being jealous, LOL! :laugh:
  • Erisad
    Options

Sounds like a shopping spree might be a nice gift to yourself for hitting a goal (any goal, whether it's 5 lbs, 10 lbs, or whatever)! Love the comment about Victoria being jealous, LOL! :laugh:

It would be. I'm happy that I can finally wear Large shirts again. Now if only I can continue to go down in other areas too. :)

Yeah, he's a real hoot. Then again, VS does tend to have a lot of padding in their bras (not as much as Frederick's of Hollywood but still) so maybe that's why. XD
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing so many women taking the "Victoria Secret Standard" as gospel. Even at my HEALTHIEST, LOWEST weight I never fit comfortably into anything at Victoria Secret. It's not "you" that is ugly or unnatural - it's THEIR clothing sizes! They are UNUSUALLY SMALL and just keep getting smaller, as if to prove that "you" (the shopper) are not 'enough of a woman' (or too much of a woman) to be an 'angel'. Their sizing is NOT normal and I'd argue that there are a LOT of healthy, stunning women out there(in a healthy weight range) can't fit into their stuff off the rack.

Feeling sexy isn't something that you can buy, no matter how much manufacturers try to tell you it is. Don't give in the to the advertising. Stuff is just stuff. Ever tried on a man's button down shirt? It's pretty darn sexy to most guys to see a woman in one, but it's not form fitting, lacey, or size appropriate. Sexy is about how you feel about you. It saddened me to read words like "the beautiful small people" (are only small people beautiful? Is beautiful defined by a look, a style, or a measuring tape?). You're far too young (and pretty) to buy into what the world is selling! Obviously your B/F thinks you're worth is far greater than VS too. ;) Why not start this week by making a list of the things you like about your body instead of things that are wrong with it?

As a tip - I only try on clothes on days when I feel emotionally happy. That way I can let all the "Hm.. that doesn't fit quite right" roll off my back, rather than kick myself for those 2 peices of fruit I ate.

Remember -STRESS keeps weight on too! I wonder what kind of magic you migh discover if you relaxed, enjoyed an active life, and just let the rewards come naturally? They will! :)
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Oh! And here's a sexy place that no one has mentioned yet - SOMA!

LOVE THEM for a splurge! :)
  • Erisad
    Options
    I hate hearing so many women taking the "Victoria Secret Standard" as gospel. Even at my HEALTHIEST, LOWEST weight I never fit comfortably into anything at Victoria Secret. It's not "you" that is ugly or unnatural - it's THEIR clothing sizes! They are UNUSUALLY SMALL and just keep getting smaller, as if to prove that "you" (the shopper) are not 'enough of a woman' (or too much of a woman) to be an 'angel'. Their sizing is NOT normal and I'd argue that there are a LOT of healthy, stunning women out there(in a healthy weight range) can't fit into their stuff off the rack.

Feeling sexy isn't something that you can buy, no matter how much manufacturers try to tell you it is. Don't give in the to the advertising. Stuff is just stuff. Ever tried on a man's button down shirt? It's pretty darn sexy to most guys to see a woman in one, but it's not form fitting, lacey, or size appropriate. Sexy is about how you feel about you. It saddened me to read words like "the beautiful small people" (are only small people beautiful? Is beautiful defined by a look, a style, or a measuring tape?). You're far too young (and pretty) to buy into what the world is selling! Obviously your B/F thinks you're worth is far greater than VS too. ;) Why not start this week by making a list of the things you like about your body instead of things that are wrong with it?

As a tip - I only try on clothes on days when I feel emotionally happy. That way I can let all the "Hm.. that doesn't fit quite right" roll off my back, rather than kick myself for those 2 peices of fruit I ate.

Remember -STRESS keeps weight on too! I wonder what kind of magic you migh discover if you relaxed, enjoyed an active life, and just let the rewards come naturally? They will! :)

I should do that list thingy. I'm working 10 hour days from tomorrow through Saturday so it may be awhile until I get to it though. I'm also very stressed from work as I just started the job 2 weeks ago and I'm having a hard time adapting to it so yeah, I'm frustrated professionally and with my personal goals. So that's affecting my weight loss too. Hopefully they don't fire me so I can stay and prove myself. *sigh*
  • Erisad
    Options
    Oh! And here's a sexy place that no one has mentioned yet - SOMA!

LOVE THEM for a splurge! :)

SOMA? I've never heard of them. *Googles* Ooo, they're stuff is pretty. And they're at the same mall the closest Frederick's of Hollywood is in. I wish I lived closer to King of Prussia. I'd never need any other mall again. XD
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Oh that is so not true ..... no wait ..... it is. I just love getting my wife out of them, too, but she looks so effing HOT in them I just can't control myself.:love::blushing:
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Oh that is so not true ..... no wait ..... it is. I just love getting my wife out of them, too, but she looks so effing HOT in them I just can't control myself.:love::blushing:

What a sweetheart.

Just cut out the middle man, have her stand there naked and throw $100 cash on the floor. Might as well! :laugh: