My mom think MFP is annoying...

Options
124»

Replies

• annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    losing weight and being obsessed with being healthy is not necessarily a bad thing, you could do much worse! try not to let it get to you, try to not talk to her about it. when you reach your goals and she sees how good you look and feel, then will she think that all that hard work was for nothing? i think not!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My husband is a very large man. His mom is always on him about his weight. In one move she will say danny you have to lose weight...have another piece of my lasagna! She is torn because she wants him to lose weight, but she knows that he loves her cooking and that makes her feel good. If he does not have seconds she wants to know what is wrong with her cooking. We devised a scheme. For your first plate take half of what you normally would, then the same again for your second plate. This way we all have seconds and let her know how much we appreciate her cooking and love that she shows through cooking. But we keep the portions in check. Maybe your mom gets validation from you liking her cooking too and a similar strategy could help you. We also do not log calories in front of her or talk much about what we are doing to lose weight.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Ive lost about 6lbs so far. I am trying to lose it slow and make sure that Im am burning fat and not water weight. Anyway, I calculate all my food everyday and today I was calculating some homemade meals for dinner. She comes up to me and says "Do you have to calculate everything? Its so annoying. Why do you count calories?". I told her that it is because I am trying to lose weight and MFP is the only thing that has worked so far. She doesnt like me counting cals, but as soon as I gain the weight back she complains to my family that Im too fat and that I am not losing enough weight. Its so contradicting. I dont understand why she thinks MFP is annoying, but as soon as I gain weight she is telling others how fat Im getting and how my body is not thin enough!! Do you'll deal with similar situations? What should I do? Should I not talk about weightloss around her?

I would bet that you counting your calories makes your mom hyper-aware that she's *not* counting calories, and that might make her feel insecure, that you're gaining control over your food situation while maybe she isn't. It could also be simply an attempt to control you, period. Either way, not good, and just try to ignore it. Easier said, I know. Best of luck!
  • Deinonychus
    Options
    Families can be so odd, like someone else said, they can't handle change. They see you as the fat girl in the family and they can't handle when you want to be someone else, yet in still they've been hounding you your whole life to lose weight. especially with old chest nuts like "You'd be so pretty if you lose weight." Ok maybe that's just me but whatever lol.

Either way, your mother should NOT be telling people how "fat" you are. That is beyond rude and it shows extreme disrespect for your feelings and as her daughter. The fact that she does that may be that she's trying to put more blame on you for your weight situation to displace the feelings of guilt she may have your situation. I'm just guessing of course but i think you should talk to her about telling people about your weight. It's so unhelpful and I imagine very hurtful. If your mom is supporting you, you'll find tons of support here!