A Calorie is NOT Just a Calorie - New Study

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    As for addressing the criticisms, that's up to the authors. Address it to them, if you like. I find their work reputable and it is not mine to have to defend. I have reposted it here to help people - period! Take it or leave it.
    Or, we can discuss it, since this is a discussion forum. You posted this thinking no one has the right to respond?
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I will merely say this.... it truly amazes me how many people on this site will quote lines from blogs and other sources, simply because it says what they want it to say or what they already believe, and will follow what some body builder, with no scientific background, will post on Bodybuilding.com as if it is pure gospel, yet trash a peer reviewed, reputable study performed by doctors and well established scientists, who have actually done the research.

As for the first responder to this article..... How many studies have you published? I would be surprised if the answer was anything more than zero for you to think that the data you mentioned would be presented in a release to the public. Study results released to the general public never have the information you are asking for. You would lose your audience after the first paragraph. Go to the journal for that. Public releases (news releases) are merely findings with sufficient support for the general audience.

LOL. I was referring to the actual journal article -- NOT the lay-press interpretation. Have you ever read a journal article. Ever??? Methodology and raw data is supposed to be included -- in this case it wasn't.

How about you actually address the actual criticisms of the study rather than just providing appeals to authority and ad hominem??

No.... never read one.... not event the ones I published. (Yes, sarcasm intended) Methodology is included, though not always in the detail you might like, but raw data is not included - never. Only processed data is included in appropriate table, chart or graph format depending on the type of data and the requirements of the journal. In fact, some journals (PNAS for example) only allows for a certain number of tables, etc and any actual data needs to be submitted as supplementary information.

As for addressing the criticisms, that's up to the authors. Address it to them, if you like. I find their work reputable and it is not mine to have to defend. I have reposted it here to help people - period! Take it or leave it.

I'll leave it.

Did you even read the actual study? It was *kitten*. They claimed an isocaloric diet - but didn't control for adherence. They claimed that the low carb group had a higher energy expenditure, but nobody lost any weight. They changed several variables, yet attributed the results to only one of them.
  • Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this study. You can eat 1200 calories of McDonald's a day or 1200 calories of clean, nutritious food. Your body will know the difference and react. That's why WHAT you eat is as important as HOW MUCH.

I agree that it's important for our health to eat nutritious healthy food. Not just worry about the calories. You could lose weight on a restricted calorie diet and not care about what you are putting into your body, but you won't be healthy.
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    Deleted.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    I completely agree with this study. You can eat 1200 calories of McDonald's a day or 1200 calories of clean, nutritious food. Your body will know the difference and react. That's why WHAT you eat is as important as HOW MUCH.

Exactly what is nutritious food now a days? Your body does not know your eating McDonalds vs an apple vs a steak. You will lose weight eating 1200 calories of McDonalds like you will lose weight on 1200 calories of veggies, fruits, proteins etc. You will just eat more of these foods because they have less calories over all in them but they are not better than McDonalds they provide the same energy. The problem is self control when you eat 1200 of McDonalds vs the other calories but both are equal.

In a health stand point what you eat matters but if we are going by just health do you know how much food we would have to eat to get all the miconutrients that our bodies need? The holistic health approach is a fad in itself. In a weight stand point its all about how much you eat and in North America with ample food supply this is the biggest problem we face!
  • TauTheBull
    Options

I agree that it's important for our health to eat nutritious healthy food. Not just worry about the calories. You could lose weight on a restricted calorie diet and not care about what you are putting into your body, but you won't be healthy.

But the question to beg is I know quite a few people if not a few dozen who eat like they don't care, they don't stress what they eat and are the healthiest people I have seen. Which comes to my understanding if you attract positive thoughts to what your eating garbage or not you will be ok. Its when we become obsessive about micros, macros that things start to happen.

Its not about health or calories its what you BELIEVE IN that will make you healthy.
  • Briszler75
    Options
    ????
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Calories are calories are calories... Studies like this are a WASTE of time.

No they are not. Many of us have known for a long time that all calories are NOT equal.

When the body processes calories differently from one another makes them not equal.

Exactly.

I'm actually testing a theory right now. I used to have carbs as my late night snack - popcorn or a serving of chips or oatmeal (yes, oatmeal). Until I gained a pound. Now, I'm trying to end my night with less carbs and more protein. So far, I've lost a pound.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Which comes to my understanding if you attract positive thoughts to what your eating garbage or not you will be ok. Its when we become obsessive about micros, macros that things start to happen.

Its not about health or calories its what you BELIEVE IN that will make you healthy.
    Oh really now?
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

No they are not. Many of us have known for a long time that all calories are NOT equal.

When the body processes calories differently from one another makes them not equal.

Exactly.

I'm actually testing a theory right now. I used to have carbs as my late night snack - popcorn or a serving of chips or oatmeal (yes, oatmeal). Until I gained a pound. Now, I'm trying to end my night with less carbs and more protein. So far, I've lost a pound.

A whole POUND???!!!!!

Groundbreaking.
  • Briszler75
    Options
    Which comes to my understanding if you attract positive thoughts to what your eating garbage or not you will be ok. Its when we become obsessive about micros, macros that things start to happen.

Oh really now?

Heh! I believe that I can eat McDonalds every day and I'll be healthy! Yeah... right! Have you seen *Supersize me*????
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    How does your total calorie consumption compare?
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Exactly.

A whole POUND???!!!!!

Groundbreaking.

I was exaggerating. It was more.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Supersize Me was about eating McDonalds three times a day, every day, for 30 days...if I choose to eat some McDonalds every day and it fits in my macros, I'll still be healthy.

Damn...now I want a Big Mac!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
  • TauTheBull
    Options

Oh really now?

One of many articles http://www.wholescience.net/2009/08/how-beliefs-affect-your-health-the-nocebo-effect/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201103/your-beliefs-affect-the-strength-the-placebo-effect

http://www.naturalnews.com/027134_food_beliefs_body.html
  • TauTheBull
    Options

Oh really now?

Heh! I believe that I can eat McDonalds every day and I'll be healthy! Yeah... right! Have you seen *Supersize me*????

Yes I have seen Supersize me many times and I eat McDonalds once or twice a week and its a hot fudge sundae. I have eaten fries with that sundae a few times. Nothing wrong with McDonalds itself its the abuse we take up on it thats the problem.
  • TauTheBull
    Options
    Supersize Me was about eating McDonalds three times a day, every day, for 30 days...if I choose to eat some McDonalds every day and it fits in my macros, I'll still be healthy.

Damn...now I want a Big Mac!
    \

I want one too! :D