A Calorie is NOT Just a Calorie - New Study

Options

Replies

• Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Say that to a diabetic and they will be happy to tell you how wrong you are. A sugar calorie is not the same as a protein calorie is not the same as veggie calorie. It matters where the calorie comes from.

Sugar is not the same as protein is not the same as veggies. This has nothing to do with calories.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, I want to read this tonight.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    geez. a calorie may equal a calorie in terms of energy (which is what a calorie measures) but in terms of lowering body fat and increasing health, eating healthy is about a lot more than just calories. It's about macronutrients and vitamins and nourishment. That's not rocket science.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Which comes to my understanding if you attract positive thoughts to what your eating garbage or not you will be ok. Its when we become obsessive about micros, macros that things start to happen.

Its not about health or calories its what you BELIEVE IN that will make you healthy.
    Oh really now?

One of many articles http://www.wholescience.net/2009/08/how-beliefs-affect-your-health-the-nocebo-effect/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201103/your-beliefs-affect-the-strength-the-placebo-effect

http://www.naturalnews.com/027134_food_beliefs_body.html

At the risk of sounding rude.... if this is all true, why did you end up on this site? Could you not just wish and believe yourself into the shape you wanted to be in?
  • Tourney3p0
    Options
    Maybe you don't care where the calories come from......

I have no idea how you read what I wrote and concluded this. I'm sorry.
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    TL;DR

Calories are calories are calories... Studies like this are a WASTE of time.

Say that to a diabetic and they will be happy to tell you how wrong you are. A sugar calorie is not the same as a protein calorie is not the same as veggie calorie. It matters where the calorie comes from.

If this were true why are diabetics told to eat lots of fruits and veggies... Clearly fruit is 100 sugar! My dad is a diabetic and on dialysis he was told to eat 2-4 pieces of fruit each day and his diabetes blood sugar never goes below 10 which is high!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    geez. a calorie may equal a calorie in terms of energy (which is what a calorie measures) but in terms of lowering body fat and increasing health, eating healthy is about a lot more than just calories. It's about macronutrients and vitamins and nourishment. That's not rocket science.

Other than a caloric deficit what is needed for bodyfat reduction?
  • TauTheBull
    Options
    Which comes to my understanding if you attract positive thoughts to what your eating garbage or not you will be ok. Its when we become obsessive about micros, macros that things start to happen.

Its not about health or calories its what you BELIEVE IN that will make you healthy.
    Oh really now?

One of many articles http://www.wholescience.net/2009/08/how-beliefs-affect-your-health-the-nocebo-effect/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201103/your-beliefs-affect-the-strength-the-placebo-effect

http://www.naturalnews.com/027134_food_beliefs_body.html

At the risk of sounding rude.... if this is all true, why did you end up on this site? Could you not just wish and believe yourself into the shape you wanted to be in?

What I am saying is the more we think something can go wrong by eating the so called bad food choice something will go wrong.

I ended up on this site just like you have to get support, encouragement and to have like minded people.
  • h3mp
    h3mp Posts: 5
    Options

not much!!! but a tasty BigMac wouldn't go a miss out of my spare calories for today :)
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Sometimes I'm just stunned at how many people were making "bad" eating choices, and then come to this website to defend a lot of those choices. I have always been, at least in some respects, a healthy eater. I bypass the junk food, don't really eat much in the way of fatty, deep fried, or sugary foods, opting instead for roast meats, tomato or other veggie based sauces, and a lot of grains like rice. If you want to eat McDonald's every day, and you can lose weight doing so, more power to you. But for me, I'd rather be full than eat three plain cheeseburgers a day.
  • Tourney3p0
    Options
    If you want to eat McDonald's every day, and you can lose weight doing so, more power to you.

Earlier in your rant, you put a lot of weight into "eating healthy". Losing weight is not synonymous with eating healthy. Honestly, I don't know why people even continue to make this comparison.
    But for me, I'd rather be full than eat three plain cheeseburgers a day.

Logical fallacy. Some people can be full after three plain cheeseburgers. Even if they weren't, a single plain McDonalds cheeseburger is less than 300 calories. That would add up to less than 900 calories, which is not recommended by anyone. Perhaps you should have said "5 cheeseburgers", but let's face it.. that would actually fill up many people.
  • TauTheBull
    Options
    If you want to eat McDonald's every day, and you can lose weight doing so, more power to you.

Earlier in your rant, you put a lot of weight into "eating healthy". Losing weight is not synonymous with eating healthy. Honestly, I don't know why people even continue to make this comparison.
    But for me, I'd rather be full than eat three plain cheeseburgers a day.

Logical fallacy. Some people can be full after three plain cheeseburgers. Even if they weren't, a single plain McDonalds cheeseburger is less than 300 calories. That would add up to less than 900 calories, which is not recommended by anyone. Perhaps you should have said "5 cheeseburgers", but let's face it.. that would actually fill up many people.

Eating five cheese burgers would really fill me up... you just gave me an idea!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If this were true why are diabetics told to eat lots of fruits and veggies
    There are medics and organisations dispensing good advice to diabetics, and there are many others dishing out nonsense like "eat a balanced diet".

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate intolerance, I see no argument for adding to the woes of a diabetic by feeding them more of the stuff they can't process and control properly.
  • Ticktockman
    Options
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    face+palm=...
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Ooh, and 5cheeseburgers are cheap! *yells* Kids, we're going to Mickey D's!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bacon calories are better than non bacon calories. everyone knows that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • gaberieger
    gaberieger Posts: 69
    Options
    QFT.

If you want to sit around and do nothing and be healthy. Then worry about your macros. If you actually feel like getting up off the lazyboy and moving your body a little, then you don't have to worry about it as much ... and just enjoy life. Less stress is probably equal to or greater than chocking down a duffel bag of raw spinach so you can sit around and watch biggest loser on tv.

Some things never change. Eat less, move more.