What foods to and not to eat?????

Options
OK so I was doing some searching on line, and found that eating fruits and veggies with whole grains, and chicken breast, turkey breast, and fish are the aultimate foods. So i have been living on them for the most part. I love strawberries, and pinapple and cantalope, etc. so then I search more and find out that I should be also eating beans, and nuts....so I start eating cashews, and peanuts, and kidney beans, and navy beans. first off the calerie content drives me almost over the edge.but the fat content I am told is ok because it is the good healthy fat that we need. I am actually starting to think hard about becoming a vegitarian as eating this way helps me to really feel good. But My wieght loss has almost stopped inspite of my increased length of walking, and adding arobics. I still come in under my goal for caleries even...So I bought this book by Jillian Micheals about how to increase your metabolism with eating right. Guess what two foods she says to avoid? Peanuts, and Strawberries???? Wait now...I just got through reading that all fruits and vegies are good for you? Now strawberries increase the size of your Thyroid which control the amound of calories your body burns, as well as heart rate, and digestion, and body temp... I forget why she said not to eat peanuts...This is driving me crazy..It seems like I can't find two dietitions who agree on what to eat and what not to. So After I eat up the peanuts I have, I won't buy anymore of them...I love strawberries so much...but maybe they are the reason My weight loss has slowed down...I have eaten at least an entire container of fresh strawberries a week...They seem to stop my hunger also....
HELP???

Bryan

Replies

• HappieHippie360
    HappieHippie360 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i have never heard of anyones diet being totally screwed because of strawberries :) i hear what you are saying there is information out there to support all different kinds of theories. i love me some jillian michaels for sure but i'm finding that i feel the best when i listen to what my own body tells me. i have been a pescetarian for years and years...i recently have started adding some chicken and turkey back in for variety purposes and because they are seasy to find that are raised locally free range.
    what you need to find more than the perfect combo of foods... is patience with yourself. at least patience is what i needed to find. eat all the fresh fruits and veggies you want, add in whole grains and lean proteins...it would be difficult to find a trainer or doctor that didnt agree with that. more than anything tho enjoy a variety of beautifully grown and prepared food.
    good luck :)
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Thanks BThubbin,
    I just looked up Pescetarian as i had never heard of that before....I could see my self doing that. The only meat I really love besides fish is Turkey...
    Yes...I guess your right that all things in moderation are probably not bad..Some of Jillians work out DVD's......whew...Moderation for sure..I am more out of shape than I thought trying to keep up with her! LOL
    I do wish it was easier to find a list of does and don'ts for a diet. But as I said. I feel so much better eating shreaded wheat, egg whites, fish, chicken breast, and tons of veggies and fruits. So I think I will make this a new life style. Now if I will go as far as "joining" a group like Vegitarians, or Pescetarians....Who knows...I do like having rules layed out so I know my boundries...And maybe that is my issue. Other than calerie restrictions...I am trying to find the rules to eating.....Thanks for your comment and support.
    Bryan
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I would say, eat what feels comfortable and good for your body. You will have some instinct of what is good for you and you will soon know what is bad for you. Books are generally just people trying to make a quick buck out of the number of people seeking the 'perfect diet'...useful for information sometimes, but in the end, only you know your own body and which foods make you feel good/bad etc.

Just aim for balance and limit the processed foods, and I am sure it will all fall into place. Don't be too influenced by what everyone else follows as they are not you.
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    First off good job on doing something that i've noticed many don't do. Research first instead of just going with the latest fad. I would say if you want to know what the real facts are about what you should and should not eat talk to a Nutritionist or Dietitian, depending on where you live will determine the name of the profession. And i'm not talking about going down to your local Health food store or GNC but to someone who has a degree in the field. They should be able to tell you what you want to know. Not saying Jillian Michaels doesn't know what she is talking about. I just have more faith in someone with the schooling over someone who is a personal trainer when it comes to food. If it was on exercise and weight loss sure i would listen to her. Just my two cents though, take it as you wish folks. :happy:
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Good point Graelwyn,

I suppose your right about the books being written by people just wanting to make money. My issue is what I have been doing for over a year to loose the 81 pounds I have so far, seems to have stopped working. Some tell me to shock my body by doing different work outs instead of walking anymore.....Things I read still point to my food intake as being part of the problem. while I did just start to new work out routine this week.....I am really bothered by the fact that my jeans that were loose on me a week ago, this week are tight....And unless it is water wieght..which my salt intake is very low.....It has to be fat building back up on me? So I have to find what is wrong to fix it to get the next 20 pounds off of me...some how. Thanks for your comment...I am certianly taking that into account now.... :)
    Bryan
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Altarian,
    Yes...I know a couple of dietitians.....My own sister being one of them....And she does not agree with either study I did. What I found on line, nor what Jillian says....But I look at her, and she is about 50 pounds over wieght her self???? So I don't hold much faith in some one who don't practice what she preaches....or her preaching is not correct? Which ever....I am here wanting answers from people who have been there done that...and succeded or failed.
    Bryan
  • Pengylicious
    Pengylicious Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My sister is a dietician also. Strawberries are considered a 'negative calorie' food- they take more energy to digest than they give you, whilst you benefit from the vitamins and fibre they contain. Don't give them up!

All nuts are great- they contain protein and fat to keep you fuller for longer- just watch your portion sizes. You don't need too many, and watch out for salted nuts! Peanuts are higher in fat- pistacio's are a good choice :smile:
  • Pengylicious
    Options
    Oh, and my sister weighs 120 pounds...
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Awesome news Pengylicious. Thanks for that info. I really don't want to give up strawberries...I love them! :) I am just so frustraited....And some days I just can't stop eating! UGH! I mean when I over eat it is usually on things like shreaded wheat, or carrots, or mushrooms....but still it pushes me calorie count up and up. I do not by the salted nuts when I can help it...But my portions on the nuts do get a little out of control at times...:( I like them But this time I divided up my nuts into zip lock bags in exact portions according to the bag....Only the portion is with shells...Who eats peanut shells? So I had to kind of guess at the portion size! But still it is better than me sitting here at work, and just munching and before I know it...half the bag is gone??? LOL Thanks again so much for your comment. Maybe I need to chat with your sister instead of mine? :)
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Do you like peanut butter? Ever heard of PB2? Its my go to yummy low fat low cal protein fix, as a fellow vegetarian :-) :-)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    this is why i like low carb so much. no contradicting!
    its easy, and it works.

good luck with what you decide!
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Caraiselite, I Thanks for your response....I am still deciding. Tell me, what foods do you eat on your diet?

tnqnt, what is PB2? I do like peanut butter but it is so full of sugar except the Smuckers Natural. but so high in fat and calories. I gave it up.
  • Pengylicious
    Options
    Coalboilerman, as long as you are not adding anything to the mushrooms or the carrots such as salt or butter, eat as many as you like. Like the strawberries they take more energy to digest than they give you- they are a great snack, so if you are hungry, ignore the calorie count on MFP and consume as many as you like- they will not make you gain weight. Other foods that have a similar effect are raw vegetables such as spinach, red cabbage and celery. Fruits have a similiar effect, but have a higher calorie count and sugar content. Having said that, they will not make you fat either, so fill up on fruit and veg, and make your portions of bread, pasta, meat, nuts, ect smaller.

From the mouth of a dietician!!!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    PB2 -- its amazing!! It is dehydrated peanut butter - fat is removed.... only ingredients are nuts, salt and sugar... no preservatives.
    They have both a plain peanut and a chocolate version (I prefer the chocolate).
    http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition

You just add water to it to get the desired consistency.
    Or, you can add it to yogurt, smoothies, sauces, etc..
    I put it into chili to get extra heartiness....

Nutrition is as follows:
    PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*
    Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

Chocolate PB2
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 10

Value and % Daily Value*
    Total fat 1 g 1.5%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat <0.01 g
    Cholesterol <0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 70 mg 3%
    Total carbohydrate 6 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 1 g 4%
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 4 g
    Vitamin A <1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 2%
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Wow, thank you to both of you for your information. I will stick with the veggies and Strawberries, and I will look into the PB2. It is nice to have people here to ask these questions of.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    ok- peanuts are a legume and that is why they aren't as good for you as the rest of the nuts at least this is what I've read.
    Anyway a small handful of nuts is all you should be eating daily b/c of their high calorie/fat(even though it's a good fat)

most fruits are high in sugar- but raspberries, blueberries, blackberries not as bad as a banana. Fruit is still good in moderation- but veggies are better.

are you getting enough protein? you should be getting 1.1-1.3x's your lean body mass/day. assuming you are working out with weights?

I read the primal blueprint/mark's daily apple- it's very interesting and helped me lose the last 10lbs!
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    tnqnt, i just ordered some chocolate BP2 to try. It looks and sounds really good.

debbiestine, ok, that makes sense what you saying about the peanuts. When this bag is gone I won't buy more as I am going to try this BP2 stuff instead anyhow. As for fruits...I love strawberries, blue berries, black berries, and cantalope, and oranges. I try to eat an apple a day also. But this week I did not buy any....I forgot??? Old age I guess.....Anyhow. I just started doing some arobic excersise this week using 3 pound hand wieghts with Jillian Micheals. Other than that my only work has been fast walking for up to 5 miles a day. I eat egg whites hard boiled, beans, nuts, chicken breast, fish, and no fat greek yogurt for my protien. According to my log on this web page I eat to much protien..but I was always told that i need lots of it..so I king of ignore that. I also now have started drinking a monavie RLV protien shake before I go to bed at night. I try to mostly stay away from Banana's. And I love carrots, broccoli, califlour, peas, beans, and corn...Although I probably should stay away from the corn right?
  • mg234080
    mg234080 Posts: 29
    Options
    Try raw walnuts and raw almonds. They are salt free. I buy raw almonds at Traders Joes. They come in pre packaged bags so you don't over eat. Each bag has 200 calories and 1.25 ounces of almonds.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    personally, I don't avoid any foods. I have just changed my portion sizes to fit my calorie goals. I still eat all my favorite foods and I've lost almost 20 pounds since I joined in March. I'm sure if I restricted my foods then I would lose faster, but I know I won't stick with it because that's been my downfall in the past. I try not to listen to the "fad foods to avoid." One minute you can eat something the next you can't because it's bad. I remember in the 90s they were talking about how you should avoid apple juice because it could cause cancer. I can't keep track of the ever changing list...
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Jeep trey...I know what you mean....One book i read said, Bananas are good....others say corn and Bananas should be avoided at all cost...I was reading Jillian Micheals book on foods, and she said to eat anthing that grows from the ground, but to watch the portions of certian things...I have been avoiding Oat meal because of the starch. I must have some Hypoglocemia because if I eat just oat meal, I feel irritable and grumpy. But if I eat a high protien breakfast like Egg whites, or No fat Greek yogurt I feel fine....But anyhow. I love oat meal, have been thinking about putting back in my diet with some turkey sausage and egg whites maybe? But the calorie count again would be so high! Uhg!