Just a quick question..

Options
13»

Replies

• Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    Hey also just wanna say welcome man and congrats on the weight loss so far but let me make some suggestions...you dont have to follow them of course but i really feel your under eating.

If i were you id be aiming for 1800 or more calories a day and 150+ grams of protein if your going to build muscle or at least maintain muscle while loosing weight.

To get more protein switch your yogurt for greek yogurt, eggs, nuts, ect or protein powder......Now i thought eating very little was the way to loose weight and ill tell you i lost some that way, then stalled then i added 400 calories a day up to 1950 or more a day and im still loosing weight.....again just some helpful advice maybe im in the same situation as you want to build up and be strong but you gotta eat lots of protein and fuel that body to do it

Well I was eating a lot more protein but It was trying to limit it, I was unsure why but was trying to follow it as much as I could. I do have protein bars and I have plenty of types of meats that have high protein and calories, I can eat some of that tonight to build it up a little bit. Its just everything looks so unhealthy now and I hate it but I cant stop staring at everything's nutritional stats
  • 37CPerry
    37CPerry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You're good to go. Eat the tuna all at once if you'd like. Make sure your getting plenty of water throughout the day. Divide your weight in half and aim for that number of ounces per day. If you weigh 180 lbs. then look to get 90 oz. of water per day. This will help keep the sodium levels in balance. Check out this article at LiveStrong.com: ( http://www.livestrong.com/article/529042-does-drinking-water-flush-out-sodium-in-the-body/ ) As long as you are keeping a healthy limit to your daily sodium intake, it doesn't matter whether you are spreading it out evenly throughout the day or getting most of it at one or two meals or snacks in the day. Sounds like you are keeping below 1500mg per day. Even on a more plentiful eating day, try to keep it under 2300mg. and at that, believe it or not, you are still doing better than the average American by over a 1000mg less per day. Keep up the good health and stay active!!
    PS I check my blood pressure on a regular basis, but I am 45yr old. (117/82 with a heart rate of 62 this afternoon)
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    As a rule for a young healthy person, sodium isn't that harmful unless you load up on a daily basis. If sodium causes you to retain water or you have high blood pressure (among other ailments), you should definitely keep close track and try to keep it down.

The short version of why too much sodium is bad is that the water weight gain is actually in your arteries and veins, increasing blood volume. This causes the heart to work harder to pump the extra volume of blood and also causes extra pressure on the walls of arteries and veins. Over time the heart can weaken from all the extra work and artery/vein walls can weaken due to prolonged or repeated extra pressure on them. But, sodium is an electrolyte and a body cannot live without it.

Well I make sure to get at least 8 cups a day in, during workout days, it can be 2-3 more. 900 just seemed like a lot and I try to not get criticized as much as possible.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think the jury is still out on whether or not omega-3 will actually make any real difference in weight loss, but if you want to add it to your diet, it is a good source of protein. I would be cautious about eating too much (probably more than twice a week), because so much of it has at least some level of mercury contamination. (Simply put, do you really want to lose weight quicker, but poison yourself while you do so?) As to aiding fat loss, the studies I've seen were giving the participants fish oil capsules so if speeding up weight loss is your only goal, maybe you'd be better off just taking the capsules? Ultimately, your results may vary either way. Another thing to consider here is that not all tuna is the same when it comes to omega-3. Some have significant amounts, but some not much at all, depending on species and how it's been processed so you might not be getting all that you think you are.

Ultimately, I think there are no "quick fixes" to weight loss. If you want to try this, have at it, but it's not a miracle drug. Weight loss still takes work. As for me, I think I'll just walk a bit further tonight if I want to "speed" my weight loss.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hey if u want to cook tuna fillets it's pretty easy! Just put a tbsp of olive oil on a non stick cookie sheet, put the tuna on it and bake at 450 deg for about 12 min. I like to put lemon pepper on them before baking.

You can do this with salmon fillets too. had some tonight! It's very good!
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    I think the jury is still out on whether or not omega-3 will actually make any real difference in weight loss, but if you want to add it to your diet, it is a good source of protein. I would be cautious about eating too much (probably more than twice a week), because so much of it has at least some level of mercury contamination. (Simply put, do you really want to lose weight quicker, but poison yourself while you do so?) As to aiding fat loss, the studies I've seen were giving the participants fish oil capsules so if speeding up weight loss is your only goal, maybe you'd be better off just taking the capsules? Ultimately, your results may vary either way. Another thing to consider here is that not all tuna is the same when it comes to omega-3. Some have significant amounts, but some not much at all, depending on species and how it's been processed so you might not be getting all that you think you are.

Ultimately, I think there are no "quick fixes" to weight loss. If you want to try this, have at it, but it's not a miracle drug. Weight loss still takes work. As for me, I think I'll just walk a bit further tonight if I want to "speed" my weight loss.

I understand where you are coming from, weight loss is not my only goal. I am not in a rush to get where I need to but I would like to lose at least the 1lb a week like it says. I just saw online that dha and something else together could burn 400 calories by themselves which is 1/9 of a pound a day, which is great if its true. I am a hardcore person when it comes to working out. I push myself to the limits when I do and I know that will help speed it up a little.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    Hey if u want to cook tuna fillets it's pretty easy! Just put a tbsp of olive oil on a non stick cookie sheet, put the tuna on it and bake at 450 deg for about 12 min. I like to put lemon pepper on them before baking.

You can do this with salmon fillets too. had some tonight! It's very good!

Yea, lemon pepper is a big seasoning that a lot of people use and I wouldn't think that using it is bad for you.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you follow all the mfp limits your not gonna eat anything....first off protein goals on this site are STUPID low...and if your loosing weight and a male you want to keep your protein levels 1 gram per lb of lean body mass you have at least or you will loose muscle with the fat. Your eating way to little food and protein plain and simple to lean out and get some strenght.

If you went by the cholestrol limits set by this site you wont eat many eggs either, but they are good cholestrol so that needs to be overlooked.

Im just saying your coming at this the wrong way, i mean most girls eat more then you on here and more protein and they arent looking to build muscle. If you cant eat that much then start slow, or eat some peanut butter out of the jar, high cals, good fats and protein
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    honestly dont worry about the salt...if you have a medical issue with salt then yes watch it but if you tracked what you ate before to gain weight you probably took in 3 times more salt. Salt wont make you gain fat or stop fat loss if it worries you make sure you get your 8+ cups of water i know i dont track salt and i eat tuna like its candy can or so a day some times and my weight loss has never been effected

That sounds like good news. I just know that it says 5 servings, but I know thats normally with a lot of other sides usually, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bad Idea. Either way its so hard to even get to 1200 calories, I have been trying. Hopefully adding lemon juice and olive oil will add a few more calories and they are healthy.

Why are you only eating 1200 calories a day? That seems like a really low number for a guy, especially since you don't have much to lose.

Its not really a choice, its more of.. I just cant seem to raise it up.

Not trying to offend, or be a b*tch but sorry, I call BS. You CAN eat more than that, and it's not that hard. Some days, I eat over 2000 calories.

Plan your food ahead of time, make meals for the whole week, eat calorie dense foods, peanut butter, avocado, nuts. 1200 is the bare minimum for a woman, let alone a man.

My diary is open, I eat close to 100g of protein a day, don't really watch my sodium intake, and have lost 50lbs, and reduced my BF % from 32 to 24.5.

This is all about making healthier choices, and tuna is a great option! Keep making good choices, and good things will happen for you. And if you need help, I am happy to hand over recipes, tips, and whatnot.

Good luck!
  • marac123
    marac123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree about watching how much tuna you eat in terms of the level of mercury in it. Different kinds of tuna have different levels I think I heard, but I can't remember which one is safer. Still I think the recommendation is that we don't eat tuna more than a few times a week (maybe 3?). Hope this is helpful.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    If you follow all the mfp limits your not gonna eat anything....first off protein goals on this site are STUPID low...and if your loosing weight and a male you want to keep your protein levels 1 gram per lb of lean body mass you have at least or you will loose muscle with the fat. Your eating way to little food and protein plain and simple to lean out and get some strenght.

If you went by the cholestrol limits set by this site you wont eat many eggs either, but they are good cholestrol so that needs to be overlooked.

Im just saying your coming at this the wrong way, i mean most girls eat more then you on here and more protein and they arent looking to build muscle. If you cant eat that much then start slow, or eat some peanut butter out of the jar, high cals, good fats and protein

lol, yea, I know they do, I do eat peanut butter, I might just need to increase how much. I figured it was too low for protein seeing as I was getting over 150 before the site.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options
    I think I will watch how much I eat it. Every few days or so.
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    any suggestions on other food that does not have to be cooked thats good in omega 3?

CHIA SEEDS
  • Cmandy67
    Options
    Flaxseed - milled, chia seed and walnuts all have OMG-3 and have many more befits and are better for you than tuna. Flaxseed must be milled for your body to process and get the OMG-3 out of it. You can buy it in travel packets with 1,200mg of Omg3. I put it in my oatmeal and protein drinks.

Are you looking to get OMG 3 in order lower your LDL?

Omega 3/6/9 fatty acids r good for the brain, help reduce symptoms of depression and a bunch of other things, good for skin
  • Cmandy67
    Options

I also try to avoid eating things out of a can too often. Loads o'chemicals just to can it.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Options

I also try to avoid eating things out of a can too often. Loads o'chemicals just to can it.

Good advice. I am certain that is true as well.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Good advice. I am certain that is true as well.

Albacore has up to 50% more mercury levels. That's what you want to avoid.
  • YaBoiMUGS
    YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
    Options
    Bro, I eat like 2 cans of that stuff a day, almost every day. Worked well for me. I just get them in water, not in oil. The 5oz cans only pack 180mg of sodium, and 26 of protein. Trust me, tuna is one of the best things you should have in your diet.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    My favorite tuna is Progresso solid light tuna (not albacore) packed in olive oil. I buy the 3 oz. cans by the case of 24 on Amazon. It has 470mg sodium per 3 oz. can, which is a little high, but on the days I eat that, I watch my sodium intake for my other meals. I'm old school when it comes to tuna. When I was eating tuna as a kid, I don't believe you could even find tuna packed in water. To me it tastes too fishy. I believe the reason oil was pretty much discontinued is because it allows the tuna meat to retain more of the mercury during processing.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My favorite tuna is Progresso solid light tuna (not albacore) packed in olive oil. I buy the 3 oz. cans by the case of 24 on Amazon. It has 470mg sodium per 3 oz. can, which is a little high, but on the days I eat that, I watch my sodium intake for my other meals. I'm old school when it comes to tuna. When I was eating tuna as a kid, I don't believe you could even find tuna packed in water. To me it tastes too fishy. I believe the reason oil was pretty much discontinued is because it allows the tuna meat to retain more of the mercury during processing.

Another thing to consider here is that since the omega-3 the OP wants are oils themselves, some things I've seen suggested you may be draining the EFAs out when you drain off the oil. They suggested getting the water packed tuna if you're looking for the benefit from the EFAs because you retain more of them when draining. Again, YMMV, but it's something to consider.