Got Milk?

Options
2»

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Do you use skim milk or 2% milk - or whole milk?

Is there a nutritional reason for your choice?

I use skim - started drinking it years ago with the "low fat mentality" and haven't changed - just curious if one is better nutritionally.

I started drinking the 1% quite a few years ago for the same reason - the "low-fat mentality", and have used it ever since. I can't drink the skim milk, and now if I drink the whole milk, it tastes really thick.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I grew up drinking 1 1/2% or 2% but I never really drank milk so my husband and I switched to skim to save on calories and fat. I use a little in my cereal and to cook and I have no problem.
  • Demetria
    Options
    I use whole only because that is what my DH uses in his cereal and there is no point in buying two gallons when I don't drink much

I buy a half gallon of 1% lactose free milk for me and one gallon of 2% for my hubby and 2 sons.

Demetria
  • Demetria
    Options
    Do you use skim milk or 2% milk - or whole milk?

Is there a nutritional reason for your choice?

I use skim - started drinking it years ago with the "low fat mentality" and haven't changed - just curious if one is better nutritionally.

The only difference nutritionally, that I know of, is the amount of fat. So if you are already drinking skim just stick with it.

Demetria
  • liz72
    liz72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had drunk skim for quite some time because it was fat free, but recently I started reading some information that has changed my mind about that. I believe whole milk is the best choice for me because there are fat-soluble vitamins and calcium that our bodies do not get on anything other than whole milk. Skim milk loses its nutrients during the process of removing the fat, and in order to get those vitamins back in it, they have to replace it with synthetic Vitamins A & D. So it's whole milk all the way for me! :happy:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I drink Braums Fat Free Milk only because it has more protein than any other kind I have found. The only problem is that I can't stand the taste of it. I found that if I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with Silk Soy Milk (Heart Healthy kind that is supposed to lower cholesterol :wink: ) and I still get 10 grams of Protein in each cup.:happy:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm at 2% now but I'm about to switch over to 1% (skim?); I only use like 3/4 cup per day in my cereal. So I don't know if it's going to do me any good except that I can then drink MORE of it!
    Half and half in my one cup of coffee daily might get switched over to whole milk !

I use fat free half and half - it's really good
    there's sugar in that to compensate for taking out all the fat :angry:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I'm at 2% now but I'm about to switch over to 1% (skim?); I only use like 3/4 cup per day in my cereal. So I don't know if it's going to do me any good except that I can then drink MORE of it!
    Half and half in my one cup of coffee daily might get switched over to whole milk !

I use fat free half and half - it's really good
    there's sugar in that to compensate for taking out all the fat :angry:

really - guess I need to read that label - thanks!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Whole milk. I rarely drink milk straight, but when I do I prefer it to be real milk. I don't like my foods to be processed any more than they have to be. Plus whole is all I use in my cooking. While it does contain more fat, the fat will keep you satiated longer which means you're less likely to binge out. Mix it in with some blueberries or peach slices, and you have an awesome treat.