Counting fruit/veg in total cals?

Options
What do you guys think about counting fruits and vegetables towards intake? I know fruit can have a lot of sugars but I can't believe that eating them would make someone gain weight.

Replies

• Annemouse
    Annemouse Posts: 14
    Options
    If it was straight up fresh fruit and veggies (no dip, no frying them, just eating fresh) I don't bother to count them. They're my "freebies" because I know the health benefits of them are WAY more important than the few calories I get from eating them.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. There is no discriminating about that.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I count them. I know for myself I can meet all my caloric requirements and maintain with only fruits, veggies, and protein. If they didn't count then I should be losing weight.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I count them, but I'm not super strict about counting them. Sometimes I won't count them at all, but only my veggies that I know are low enough in calories (greens!) that I won't really have to make adjustments to compensate their consumption. Fruits on the other hand are definitely accounted for. :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    count everything even iced tea..................it's the ONLY honest way!
  • annakristi86
    Options
    i count them all the time but it sucks cause i eat a ton of fruit every day and it costs me 300-400 calories a day.... when u r on a 1200 cal plan its a lot... but i simply can't function without tons of fruit.... oh well..... and yes, i count veggies too although i barely eat any.... calories are calories.... oh well
  • Starvandeva
    Starvandeva Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I count them, every kcal counts. I like to look back at the end of the day and make sure I got at least 5 servings of them, it helps me keep track.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You have to be honest, and put everything in your log for the most benefit. Obviously x amount of carbs in oranges has to be better than the same amount of carbs from a ding dong, but I still put them in there.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I worry about gaining weight from all the sugars in fruit....because I recently discovered how much I love fruit, so I've been eating tons of it. I hope I don't gain weight :( I count every calorie when I log them, including fruits and veggies.
  • Linda1028
    Linda1028 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I with thems that say it ALL counts.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    count all food, period.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I count it all... but I am a little lax on measurements when it comes to fruits and veggies. Many years ago, I started working out where there was a conveniently located smoothie bar.... every time after my workout, I would have a smoothie. I figured it was all fruit (a scoop of protein and nonfat milk in there too). Somehow, I was still not losing weight. When I told my trainer about the smoothie, that was the first thing to cut back on. It is great to eat lots of fruits and veggies, but remember that even natural sugars are sugars. That is what I have been told anyway. (Started losing weight again once I cut the smoothie frequency and size.)
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    For me, I generally guess at raw veggies because I like to throw whatever I have in the fridge on my salad. Overall, since they are so low in calories, it's not going to make more than 10-20 calories difference either way. Fruit's a different story. some things, like a banana, apple, pear, pineapple, etc. it would be easy to get over 100 calories in a sitting. Those should be counted because it would be too easy for that to push me over every day.
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. There is no discriminating about that.

This is why i count them.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. You need to count them or you are not keeping yourself accountable. I know SO many people who failed at the "new" Weight Watchers because of those "free" fruits and vegetables. Why? Because the calories still count! They don't magically go away because of the nutrients in them.
  • Jimmy_Jojo
    Jimmy_Jojo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in the "calories are calories" bandwagon. I always count mine, I usually have a piece of fruit with my breakfast, and depending on what fruit, sometimes it can be more than an additional 100 calories to my day. It's still really good for you, but natural sugars are still sugars so it's good to definitely keep an eye on it
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I easily eat 300-400 calories worth of fruits and veggies in a day. You better believe I count them!
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    count everything even iced tea..................it's the ONLY honest way!
    this
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I am on the count it all train. There are a lot of fruits that surprisingly have high amount of calories. Apples 80-120 Bananas 80-120, Oranges 60-80

I found that if I make excuses not to add certain things, the definition of what I should or should not add gets skewed and exaggerated very quickly, I strongly suggest you add it all.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I count them, but NOT for the calories. I count them because I want to make sure I am actually eating them. 300 calories from veggies is a huge difference then 300 calories from doritos. It took me 35 years to finally realize that. :-)