Counting fruit/veg in total cals?

Options

Replies

• CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I count the majority. If I'm having a burger and a slap a tomato or a pickle on I don't really bother but as a snack/meal definitley, calories are calories.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think about counting fruits and vegetables towards intake? I know fruit can have a lot of sugars but I can't believe that eating them would make someone gain weight.

Your body doesn't care if you're getting the calories from chocolate or from strawberries. If you consume the same amount of calories, you'll get fat from it. Of course you should count calories from fruit and vegetables and of course someone could hypothetically gain weight from eating too much fruit and vegetables.
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I log everything, a calorie is a calorie. Only some calories keep you fuller longer.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I prob eat 400-500 cal a day in fruits and veggies (vegan.) I definitely count them!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think about counting fruits and vegetables towards intake? I know fruit can have a lot of sugars but I can't believe that eating them would make someone gain weight.
    One banana has 100 calories. If you don't bother to count it, and then eat all your calories on top of that (because you didn't count it,) now you're 100 calories over. Eat 100 calories over maintenance every day and you certainly would gain weight.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar and Calories are Calories.You can gain from sugar in fruit.....:)
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    One banana has 100 calories. If you don't bother to count it, and then eat all your calories on top of that (because you didn't count it,) now you're 100 calories over. Eat 100 calories over maintenance every day and you certainly would gain weight.
    100% agree Banana's will put weight on you:)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a dietitian and she told me to never count vegetables, unless they are cooked in something/with something, and then only account for those calories. She did tell me to keep track of fruit , though.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If it goes in the mouth, I count it... Too much of ANYTHING can cause weight gain...
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Count them. Calories are calories, regardless of source. There are several fruits that are high in calories - mango, banana, persimmon, etc.
  • tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    That is why weight watchers didn't work for me. They didn't count fruit. I gained weight.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I always try to account for everything I eat. Occasionally I forget to put something in, but if I eat it it counts for my nutrition total and calorie count.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    My opinion on this one is simple: Yes. :-) Every calorie, no matter what the source, should count toward your daily caloric goal. I DO believe some calories are better than others, but the bottom line for me is count calories: all of them.

For me, however, this means that I would rather consume 3 bananas instead of a sugar donut. More volume, better nutrients, more fiber - but I still need to count those 'nana cals!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    count all food, period.

This.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    For sure but I am happy when I look back at my diary and see a whole bunch of fibre and nutrients from fruits and veggies. I even count diet pop because it contains sodium (which I am terrible for going over on). Log everything that goes into your mouth. You will still find that fruits and veggies are better than most foods!
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat or drink.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Another vote for logging everything. Sometimes I eat 500-600 calories in fruit and veggies... not logging that would be a step in the wrong direction.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    i don't count greens or peppers or celery, etc....super low veggies in calories. but i do count corn, peas, potatoes, etc and I always count fruit,
  • adriankhoo153
    Options
    I count cal for fruits too under categories snacks. Watermelon do take lots of calories. I love fruits and it take about 200-300 cal. And that is a lot under 1200cal diet. Damn!
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because I'm vegan but I couldn't imagine not counting them because they're a significant part of my consumption. Look at it this way. You're supposed to have a minimum of five servings of fruits/veggies a day. Let's pretend that you get that by eating one small banana, 1.5 cups of cooked greens and a cup of shredded romaine. That's potentially over 200 calories right there. Even if you weren't even eating any fruit you could still easily add more than 100 calories to your day. A lot of fruit and vegetables can be low calorie but many are far from no calorie.