Anyone else afraid of flying?

Options
AmandaJ12
AmandaJ12 Posts: 75 Member
I'm going on a trip to Vegas in a week for my 30th birthday! Although I'm super excited and I LOVE to travel. I absolutely HATE to fly...I'm terrified. Anyone else scared to fly? Better yet, anyone else want to give me some encouraging words? :laugh:

Replies

• Veronica320
    Options
    I know one thing that always helps me out on a long flight........Valium. I hate to fly too!
  • MissesOfficer
    Options
    Hear about the hijacked plane in Mexico today?? I'm scared, and I haven't even been on one since I was like 1
  • PinkDog
    PinkDog Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I too hate flying -- but -- I still do it.

Its kind of one of those "suck it up, Buttercup" things -- I just ask myself -- "What? Are you going to let fear stop you from seeing the world and living life? That's worse than letting fat stop me!?"

Good luck!

Pink
  • Clovermom
    Options
    Girly Girl!!!! HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE!!!!! :drinker:

Enjoy Vegas!!!! There is no other place like Vegas!!!!

ENJOY!!!

Take a shot or two of low cal liquor before you get on your flight, it might calm your nerves.

HAVE A BLAST!!!!! :explode:

Happy Birthday!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you can, go see your doctor and tell him about it.

I take an anti-anxiety drug for it, and it's been truly life-changing. I have to fly quite a bit, and that little pill is truly magic.

(I don't condone random drug use. . .but it's stressful enough to travel.):flowerforyou:
  • AmandaJ12
    Options
    Thank you guys!:blushing:
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    No worries, pet. Flying is one of the safest forms of travel. I'm sure, statistically, in this day and age you're probably more likely to get hit by a drunk driver.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    not to freak you out, but i watched this thing on how to survive a terroritst plane take over and i learned flying a plane is easy and if something happens to the pilot remeber 121.5! thats the emergency radio frequency ! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • AmandaJ12
    Options
    not to freak you out, but i watched this thing on how to survive a terroritst plane take over and i learned flying a plane is easy and if something happens to the pilot remeber 121.5! thats the emergency radio frequency ! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

hahaha...thanks for the tip!!! :sad:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    flying is cake.

if it worries you, speak with your doc. he/she will give you some zanex or valium and you will be gooood to go!

HAVE A BLAST IN VEGAS! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Well have to say don't like it myself.

However I've been in the Travel Industry for over 28 years and am a child of an Ex- Airline employee and have been flying since I was six months old.

Air Travel is probably one of the safest modes of transportation - so have a stiff drink sit back and relax and enjoy you trip to Vegas :bigsmile:
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    I too am afraid to fly (even though I have been on nearly 30 flights).

I take Gelsemium and Ignatia (you can go to your local holistic / health food store and ask the pharmacist there for these two). One is for anxiety with flying, and one of for claustrophia. I do find they help. I take a dose the night before, then the morning of, and then as I get on the plane. They HONESTLY do help!

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
    Betty
  • laceandcurls11
    laceandcurls11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    SO I AM AN AIRLINE EMPLOYEE AND I HATE TO FLY GO FIGURE, I LOVE IT WHEN I GET WHERE EVER IT IS I AM GOING, BUT THE FLIGHT ITSELF IS NOT MY FAVORITE, i FIND THOUGH THAT WHEN I TRAVEL I TAKE A CD PLAYER OR DVD TO TAKE MY MIND OFF OF WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND ME, AND IF THE TURBULENCE GETS BAD I CLOSE MY EYES AND THINK OF A BUMPY ROAD IT USUALLY RELAXES ME, IMAGE YOU HAVE THE PILOT THAT MADE THE SAFE LANDING IN NEW YORK'S HUDSON RIVER IN YOUR COCKPIT HE KNOWS HOW TO FLY A PLANE ENJOY YOUR TRIP TO VEGAS AND WIN LOTS OF MONEY
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Couple of tips to make you feel a bit better... make sure you bring some gum! It will help with the pressure changes as you change altitudes.

Secondly bring something to distract you like a mp3 player. (I like to play music that relaxes me when we take off) If you get sick in cars and on boats you might get air sick too. I like to take some anti motion sickness medication just in case so I am more relaxed and not sick when flying.

Third RELAX! More people get hurt in cars then in planes. Make sure you wear comfortable clothing. Also its a good idea to check the weather the day you are leaving and the place you are arriving so you can bring what you need on the plane.

Its the taking off and the landing that are the hardest parts... it only lasts a few minutes and then its not too bad!

GL! :flowerforyou:
  • AmandaJ12
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and encouragement!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    There's nothing to be afraid of, really. It's safer than driving to Vegas, and a lot faster! I hate flying, but not because I'm scared, just because it's so damn uncomfortable. First class must be awesome though.

Have a good time in Vegas. :smile:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Pretend you are sitting on a bus. It feels no different. You are just as cramped.
  • CaGinger
    Options
    There's nothing to be afraid of, really. It's safer than driving to Vegas, and a lot faster! I hate flying, but not because I'm scared, just because it's so damn uncomfortable. First class must be awesome though.

Flew first class to and from Hawaii. Got an amazing deal on the tickets. First class was nothing like flying coach. They served you a 3 course meal free adult drinks :tongue: and brought you warm moist towels after take off and before landing to freshen up. Also they had a bathroom just for first class customers. Oh plus the seats had leg rests and seat recliners. Felt like flying in a lazyboy the whole way!

FIRST CLASS ROCKS! :flowerforyou:
  • CaGinger
    Options

Flew first class to and from Hawaii. Got an amazing deal on the tickets. First class was nothing like flying coach. They served you a 3 course meal free adult drinks :tongue: and brought you warm moist towels after take off and before landing to freshen up. Also they had a bathroom just for first class customers. Oh plus the seats had leg rests and seat recliners. Felt like flying in a lazyboy the whole way!

FIRST CLASS ROCKS! :flowerforyou:

Oh as someone who flies kind of alot the best airlines are Virgin America and Jet blue if you are flying coach or business. Jet blue gives you the option of buying more leg room lol! Virgin has wifi on a lot of their flights and the seats are not as bad as american or united. They are a bit wider and more comfortable. Happy Jetting!
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I just flew to Vegas in June, it's great fun.

Flying is actually very safe. When you get that rush during take-off, think of it as a low risk thrill rather than a scared moment. Its like watching a scary movie - scary but nothing bad's gonna happen to you.

As Superman says, "Well I hope this experience hasn't put you off flying. Statistically speaking, its still the safest way to travel."

:laugh: :laugh: