Diet Soda

Options
Why do people say diet soda is worse for you than regular soda? Is it just because of the artificial sweetener or is there another reason why?

Replies

• here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I'd like to know too! Thanks for posting! Anyone?
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Diet coke:

Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

Why would anyone choose to put this in their body? (Says the man who drank Diet Coke for 30 years.)

These days there are other things I'd rather drink - coconut water, Kombucha, a nice cup of tea or an unsweetened cappuccino. Even a plain sparkling mineral water.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying a nice can of diet coke right now and it is DELIGHTFUL.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have heard some say that diet soda actually increases your hunger. I don't know if it is true, I have not looked for or been told if there is any proof one way or another. I still drink diet soda, but my intake has gone down significantly as I have increased my water intake.
  • emhargs
    emhargs Posts: 63
    Options
    have drunk coke for about 20 years, and in the last 2 years switched to coke zero. Up until two days ago was drinking about 5 cans a day. Have now gone cold turkey.

yes its the artificial sweetener in it which most likely gives us cancer. Particularly if you are drinking 5 cans a day.

also i have read some research which suggests drinking diet soda is actually detrimental to weight loss.

anyways.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Regular coke:

Carbonated Water , Sugar , Colour (Caramel E150d) , Phosphoric Acid , Natural Flavourings including Caffeine.

Pretty much the same things except sugar has been replaced with aspartame and ace-k (or E951 and E950, I think) which are chemicals...in saying that though you don't just walk up to a tree and grab some sugar it's gotta be extracted and stuff.

Phosphoric Acid is used as a rust remover (extract from Wikipedia):

Rust removal

Phosphoric acid may be used as a "rust converter", by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces. The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide, Fe2O3 (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4.

"Rust converter" is sometimes a greenish liquid suitable for dipping (in the same sort of acid bath as is used for pickling metal), but it is more often formulated as a gel, commonly called naval jelly. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer". As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces.

After treatment, the black ferric-phosphate coating can be scrubbed off, leaving a fresh metal surface. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The black phosphate coating can also be left in place, where it will provide moderate further corrosion resistance (such protection is also provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes).

And in saying that I'll still drink it occasionally!!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I found that diet sodas and artificially sweetened drinks make me feel weird and not all are quite as bad. Diet colas are the best for me while diet root-beer and diet iced teas are the worst. At the worst, they consistently trigger binge consumption and I can easily drink a two-liter bottle of diet soda in less than an hour and still feel thirsty and hungry. They also make me much more likely to eat huge portions of food without even noticing. I cut out the worst of them years ago and recently cut out all diet drinks (less than one every two weeks) and feel much better. Even beyond the binge trigger, I decided I didn't need to wash that many chemicals through my body. I have also found that I get full during meals much quicker when I just drink water with my food.
  • Starvandeva
    Starvandeva Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I cut out all pop( I drank diet pepsi) a year and a half ago except for an occasional small amount of sprite, in hopes to drop weight. It worked for other people I know. The only thing it did for me was improved my skin and now I have a hard time staying hydrated. But I just finished a college nutrition course and the instructor drinks it. He sais anything in moderation is just fine. There are no "bad foods"
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think its the artificial sweeteners....but I will have one maybe once every two weeks.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I went off it when a UK TV programme on household tips recommended for descaling toilets and removing tarnish from brass...
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Ok before i say this il point out i drink alot of Pepsi max!! lol

There's lots of reasons why we shouldnt drink it.... Aspartame (sweetener) being a big one!! But i think the gas also stretch's out your stomach!!

Id like more info on this too if anyone can help x
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    I went off it when a UK TV programme on household tips recommended for descaling toilets and removing tarnish from brass...

basically, this...

*says she who drinks diet sprite with her rum from time to time but figures the alcohol might minimize the effects of the tarnish removing minerals*
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options

basically, this...

*says she who drinks diet sprite with her rum from time to time but figures the alcohol might minimize the effects of the tarnish removing minerals*

Lemon and vinegar are great cleaning products as well so that blows that argument out of the water
  • tlruffino
    tlruffino Posts: 28
    Options
    gave up pop 4 months ago. Switched to water and tea. Every now and then I get a craving, but I have read so much about how bad it is for your health and it can lead to heart attacks and stroke.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    aspartame has been shown to increase blood sugar levels and cravings for actual sugar and sweet things.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with that.

You know, it's also worse for you than water ^_^
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying a nice can of diet coke right now and it is DELIGHTFUL.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have heard some say that diet soda actually increases your hunger. I don't know if it is true, I have not looked for or been told if there is any proof one way or another. I still drink diet soda, but my intake has gone down significantly as I have increased my water intake.

It's actually the artificial sweeteners in the diet soda, it basically shuts out feelings of satiety. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm)

As for the cancer things (as I've seen someone mentioning in here), there has been no credible evidence that the ingredients in diet soda cause.

Basically, diet soda is alright... just don't go crazy on it -- go EASY on it. I see some people drink it like it's some sort of nectar from the gods.

*edit* -- additional source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diet-soda/AN01732
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I've heard over and over from people saying it stretches the stomach. No, it does not stretch the stomach. It does however increase food cravings so I've severely cut back my usage of it. I have maybe 3 small glasses of it a week now (with dinners) instead of a couple of bottles a day. I've noticed that by drinking more water and less soda, I'm hungry less.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    aspartame has been shown to increase blood sugar levels and cravings for actual sugar and sweet things.

Stop making things up.