Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda months ago. Now it's just water and Crystal Light iced tea if i want to change things up a bit. To be honest, i really hate the taste of soda now.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I went off it when a UK TV programme on household tips recommended for descaling toilets and removing tarnish from brass...

basically, this...

*says she who drinks diet sprite with her rum from time to time but figures the alcohol might minimize the effects of the tarnish removing minerals*

Lemon and vinegar are great cleaning products as well so that blows that argument out of the water

Ditto to baking soda, ketchup, and probably lots of other things that I can't think about right now.
    I am not going to sit here and argue that diet soda is GOOD for you-- even though I drink it a little too frequently -- because it's clearly not GOOD for you. But I'm also not going to demonize it as being inherently BAD for you either. In moderation, it probably doesn't cause cancer or stones, or any of the other things people say it will do. Yes, for some it will cause bloating or gassiness, but unless you have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, it's not poison. (I don't know that Crystal Light is any better for you, but some people who are quick to pan diet soda in one breath will say in the other that they drink Crystal Light instead.)

Water is certainly healthier and likely is the best choice for hydration. Diet soda does not CAUSE weight gain, per se, but I have heard that since diet soda has no calories, its sweetness "tricks" the brain and causes the drinker to want to satisfy his/her sweet tooth and hunger with things that actually do have calories since they've gotten the sweetness but no caloric payout. That said, if you're tracking your food you're already taking control of what you put into your mouth. And if you're using diet soda instead of full sugar soda with a meal, for instance, than you're making a reasonable trade-off. Everything in moderation has been my mantra lately.
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There is actually no real evidence that it is linked to cancer. The Mayo clinic says a can a day won't hurt you.

People say diet soda makes you gain weight but they are also misinformed.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's all the artificial crap that goes into it. BUT...... doesn't stop me from drinking diet pop!!! I limit it to one glass a day:drinker:
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    aspartame has been shown to increase blood sugar levels and cravings for actual sugar and sweet things.

Nope. Not for me it hasn't!
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    People say diet soda is dangerous because of aspartame. However, the studies that have shown it causes cancer were done on rats, and they were given a outrageous amount of it. I would reccoment checking out this video on the topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdiY5SoWzNg
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying a nice can of diet coke right now and it is DELIGHTFUL.

Hahahahaha - I admit I have a Diet Dr. Pepper addiction. I think the main issue with diet soda is that the human body has no idea how to process it. From what I have read, it can make the liver act in weird ways because the body is trying to figure out if it is a sugar or what. Also, supposedly because it can taste sweeter than regular soda, it increases the craving to eat more food.

I just use the moderation rule. I drink a diet Dr. Pepper maybe 2 or 3 times per week at most, usually with dinner. I enjoy the taste and it does not add any calories and I personally have not seen any ill affects from this admitted addiction...

Here is a good article on diet soda:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/sodas-and-your-health-risks-debated
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It is the artifical sweeteners people are talking about. But then again, regular soda isn't good for you either. I think it's blown out of proportion.

I rarely drink soda, (and when I do, it's not diet because I can't stand the taste) but I think anything in moderation is fine. One or two a week is fine and if it keeps you sane, go for it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    To me it's a personal choice, I like it, I'm going to drink it. You'll get all kinds of people going crazy on these forums about how horrible it is for you (I always wonder if those same people are smokers). Chemically....yep not good for you especially if consumed in large quantities. But once again...I'm an adult, I'll make my own decisions. As far as it causing sweet cravings...NEVER have I experienced this. And as far as it making you gain weight......it's ZERO calories you won't gain weight.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Have no idea, but I drank some Diet Pepsi Sunday after having only water since before Christmas, and it felt like it was burning my throat as I swallowed. Freaky feeling...but otherwise it was pretty good. Still love my water tho!:drinker:
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    There are too many scare stories in the media and online about diet coke.

From what I know, nothing has been proven to cause the issues in humans. Studies were done on rats.

I have never experienced adverse effects of diet pop.

I drink it. A lot of fruit juices have more acid in them than a can of diet pop. The acid in it is nothing considered to the acid in your stomach or in a lot of foods people eat. Artificial sweeteners are in A LOT of things you wouldn't expect them to be.

Fine to drink in my opinion.
  • mathiasg
    mathiasg Posts: 32
    Options
    I drink a lot of Diet Coke and Coke Zero. I know it is not the best stuff for me, but it is definitely better than the real thing!

I have definitely cut back and tried to replace with water, but I don't think I am doing anything horrible having a a few diet sodas here and there.
  • eliz5210
    eliz5210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a lot of diet sodas and recently switched to drinking mostly water. I feel less bloated probably because of the salt. I also think it helps me not to want sweet things all of the time. Your body gets used to not having the sweet taste and craving it when you give up the sodas. I have a few diet drinks now and then but I do feel better drinking water.
    19188452.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Why do people say diet soda is worse for you than regular soda? Is it just because of the artificial sweetener or is there another reason why?
    Because they believe the articles they read from "clean" and "natural" eaters. Scientific studies on this have repeatedly stated that the amount of aspartame in a single can of diet soda isn't enough to create the onset issues that are claimed by anti aspartame crowd.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Let me go look for GC_Hutson. He's the expert on this...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Diet coke:

Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

Why would anyone choose to put this in their body? (Says the man who drank Diet Coke for 30 years.)

These days there are other things I'd rather drink - coconut water, Kombucha, a nice cup of tea or an unsweetened cappuccino. Even a plain sparkling mineral water.
    Because it "calms" my sweet cravings (says a man who has drank it for 29 years and still does).

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Regular coke:

Carbonated Water , Sugar , Colour (Caramel E150d) , Phosphoric Acid , Natural Flavourings including Caffeine.

Pretty much the same things except sugar has been replaced with aspartame and ace-k (or E951 and E950, I think) which are chemicals...in saying that though you don't just walk up to a tree and grab some sugar it's gotta be extracted and stuff.

Phosphoric Acid is used as a rust remover (extract from Wikipedia):

Rust removal

Phosphoric acid may be used as a "rust converter", by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces. The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide, Fe2O3 (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4.

"Rust converter" is sometimes a greenish liquid suitable for dipping (in the same sort of acid bath as is used for pickling metal), but it is more often formulated as a gel, commonly called naval jelly. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer". As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces.

After treatment, the black ferric-phosphate coating can be scrubbed off, leaving a fresh metal surface. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The black phosphate coating can also be left in place, where it will provide moderate further corrosion resistance (such protection is also provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes).

And in saying that I'll still drink it occasionally!!
    Research "hydrochloric acid". It's in your stomach. Drink up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I went off it when a UK TV programme on household tips recommended for descaling toilets and removing tarnish from brass...
    Baking soda works too. Make sure not to put that in your foods.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    aspartame has been shown to increase blood sugar levels and cravings for actual sugar and sweet things.
    Peer reviewed clinical study for this?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Let me go look for GC_Hutson. He's the expert on this...
    My bud............:laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member