Restaurants - Are You Kidding Me?!?!

Options
SeasideOasis
SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
I really don't understand what the issue is with restaurants. Why the %$#* are the salads typically just as expensive, if not more, than a a meat or 'bad for you' dish. Please see exhibit A below:

http://www.winkinglizard.com/media/menus/2011-2nd-half-menus/all-locations.pdf

CAJUN CHICKEN
SPINACH SALAD
Charbroiled chicken breast seasoned
with our own Cajun spices, on a bed of spinach
and mozzarella cheese, garnished with
chopped egg, bacon, tomatoes, olives
and mushrooms. $8.49 :grumble:

BACON CHEESEBURGER (Burgers include fries, or a comparable side dish, and all the trimmings on the burger)
American cheese topped with strips of
Applewood bacon. $7.99 :explode:

Wait, wait, wait - It gets better.

You know how typically seafood is more expensive -

GRILLED SALMON DINNER
Wild caught Alaskan grilled salmon. Consider basting
with one of our signature sauces as an alternative.
$8.99 :mad:

How is a salad with CHICKEN only $.50 cents cheaper than a full SALMON DINNER?!?!? I mean, I get the salmon with grilled veggies and keep it healthy (why not for only $.50 cents more), but what the heck is wrong with America?!?! No wonder half the country is fat/obese/overweight/Etc!!

Listen up restaurants, get your &*@$ head in the game before I go postal :noway: and cry :cry: .

Replies

• scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Amen! It's like McDonald's that has salads for $4.99 and hamburgers for $1.99...xD
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Well I can't tell how real the burgers are at McDonalds, but I am pretty sure they are just fake crap, so they are going to be cheaper. They can last a hell of a lot longer than a salad does.

You wouldn't buy a shopping trolley full of veggies, make a ton of salads, and sell them for the same price as a hamburger. You are most likely not going to be able to sell all of the salads before the expiry date arrives which then you would have to throw away and buy a whole lot more.

Well you can tell that the Burgers aren't real or just packed full of cheap crap if you saw Super Size Me lol.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Salads are more labour intensive.
  • lchovet
    lchovet Posts: 68
    Options
    That Salad probably has as many calories as the burger. Cheese, eggs, bacon, and proably drenched with dressing nothing healthy about it.
  • h0llist3r
    h0llist3r Posts: 3
    Options
    In England we have a portuguese restaurant called nandos and the calories generally aren't too horific but for a salad it can be a bit excessive especially when you're trying to keep the cost and the calories down. also they put on the menu to order sides with your dinner so it all quickly adds up on both counts but one meal at nandos with a soft drink would cost like $20

http://www.nandos.co.uk/themenu click on nutrition for the calories
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't be fooled...I've done some research and it is ridiculous how many calories are in some of those salads...better to get grilled chicken, fish, or steak with a side of veggies most of the time...as long as they're not drenched in butter!
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Beef, Poultry, Dairy, Corn (used to make sweeteners), and various other things have lots of federal subsidies to offset costs and keep consumer prices low.

Healthy vegetable farmers that produce good foods like Carrots, Spinach, various types of Lettuce, Cabbage, the Squash family, etc... they have... well... they have to foot the entire bill..

See the disconnect?
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What moo said. Much of what you are paying for at a restaurant is the expense of the restaurant. Rent, electric, labor. The food is just a small part of the cost of a meal. Salads take a lot of prep and take up a lot of space in the kitchen. Also, salad fixins tend to be less shelf stable than more robust veggies or protein. So there's more spoilage that has to be factored in.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand what the issue is with restaurants. Why the %$#* are the salads typically just as expensive, if not more, than a a meat or 'bad for you' dish. Please see exhibit A below:

http://www.winkinglizard.com/media/menus/2011-2nd-half-menus/all-locations.pdf

CAJUN CHICKEN
    SPINACH SALAD
    Charbroiled chicken breast seasoned
    with our own Cajun spices, on a bed of spinach
    and mozzarella cheese, garnished with
    chopped egg, bacon, tomatoes, olives
    and mushrooms. $8.49 :grumble:

BACON CHEESEBURGER (Burgers include fries, or a comparable side dish, and all the trimmings on the burger)
    American cheese topped with strips of
    Applewood bacon. $7.99 :explode:

Wait, wait, wait - It gets better.

You know how typically seafood is more expensive -

GRILLED SALMON DINNER
    Wild caught Alaskan grilled salmon. Consider basting
    with one of our signature sauces as an alternative.
    $8.99 :mad:

How is a salad with CHICKEN only $.50 cents cheaper than a full SALMON DINNER?!?!? I mean, I get the salmon with grilled veggies and keep it healthy (why not for only $.50 cents more), but what the heck is wrong with America?!?! No wonder half the country is fat/obese/overweight/Etc!!

Listen up restaurants, get your &*@$ head in the game before I go postal :noway: and cry :cry: .

It could be they are not ordered as much as the other dishes so that would raise their price on the dish.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Also, typically restaurants pay more for the items that go into your salads. They don't keep as long as burgers so they end up throwing things away raising the cost.

Part 2: I agree these salads are CRAZY CALORIES. And ironically it's not always from the dressing. It's not uncommon to see a salad with 800 calories here in my area, but i can get a double stacker from BK and come in lower than that.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Because the food cost is higher. Duh. The hubs is a chef so I know this for a fact.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    That Salad probably has as many calories as the burger. Cheese, eggs, bacon, and proably drenched with dressing nothing healthy about it.

That is true but it may have more nutrients in it then the cheese burger and also a good fiber content.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    LMFAO so true.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    One, because fresh produce can sometimes be more expensive then buying frozen meat and fish in bulk. Two, they need someone to make the salads for you. So due to the labor it takes, coupled with the cost because you can't keep lettuce for more than a couple of days- unlike fish and meat it makes the price go up.

The thing(s) that make salad un-healthy are = salad dressing, toppings like cheese, croutons, etc. So if you go to a place and order a salad, just ask for the dressing on the side and portion it out as needed, and keep the cheese and croutons off. Also, it is cheaper usually to order a side salad and get a side order of grilled chicken to go on it, then to order the huge salad.

There are ways to make things cheaper=don't hate on restaurants because they need to make a living.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Wait a second, where are these restaurants where you can get a salmon dinner for under ten dollars?!? That would be at least $18 here, and the salad would be 9 or 10 before adding chicken (that would cost you 3 or 4 dollars more.) I need to move to the middle of nowhere. :grumble:
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'd rather pay 1-2 dollars more for something healthy then get a cheap, horrible meal. Salads aren't always the best go to option however, especially with dressings usually found at restaurants.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i can't count the number of times i've seen someone choose the salad at the restaurant, and it's so massive and covered with toppings and dressing that they could have eaten a couple big macs instead and been better off. same thing at subway. "yeah, i'll have the footlong bacon with extra bacon and salami, extra southwest sauce."
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are not around to feed you healthy meals.

They're around to make money.
  • MakeItWork_75
    Options
    At Zaxby's for a side salad (lettuce, tomato, and cucumber) it's $2.99 but a side order of french fries is $1.29. Hmmm. You tell me which side item most people will choose?