Restaurants - Are You Kidding Me?!?!

Options

Replies

• chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I always get the Steak Wrap at Winking Lizard, its 350 calories and has 18g of protein,
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    If I am going to spend money dining out, I am not going to waste it on a salad regardless of the price. I prefer to do my grazing in the privacy of my own home.

Grazing-Like-Cow.jpg
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You aren't paying for food. It's simple. You are paying for service, which includes all the overhead of running a business (utilities, taxes, wages, equipment, stolen utensils and coffee cups, etc.). They vary the price a little so it doesn't t look like that's what they are doing. But, if I ever saw a restaurant that just flat rated everyone despite what they order, I would give the, a medal for honesty and I would eat there every day.

There is a minimum they have where under some amount, it's not worth it to have you there. There are also really high margin dishes, probably salads, and really low ones depending on what is in season and what isn't. But, if a place is smart, they know their minimum per seat else they lose money on that one. If someone walks in and orders a $2 salad, has water for free, it's not even worth their time to serve you. That's the real deal.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Beef, Poultry, Dairy, Corn (used to make sweeteners), and various other things have lots of federal subsidies to offset costs and keep consumer prices low.

Healthy vegetable farmers that produce good foods like Carrots, Spinach, various types of Lettuce, Cabbage, the Squash family, etc... they have... well... they have to foot the entire bill..

See the disconnect?

THIS!!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i can't count the number of times i've seen someone choose the salad at the restaurant, and it's so massive and covered with toppings and dressing that they could have eaten a couple big macs instead and been better off. same thing at subway. "yeah, i'll have the footlong bacon with extra bacon and salami, extra southwest sauce."

Did you ever consider that that is just what they wanted to eat? I greatly prefer a yummy fatty calorific salad to a couple of big macs. wouldn't anyone? lol!
    Anyway my friend's brother was telling me (long ago) how stupid it is to get a veggie and then get mayonnaise. Uh, how is that stupid? I like mayo, I don't like the meat?

of course that's the case for some people. however, there are also some who think that just because it's a salad or just because it's subway, it's automatically healthy.

additionally, i share your love of mayo. i get the light version, but it's something i haven't eliminated.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    additionally, i share your love of mayo. i get the light version, but it's something i haven't eliminated.

Try spreading avocado on your next sandwich instead of mayo. If you mash it then spread it, it gives the same feel and the taste is 10X better than mayo IMHO.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    i can't count the number of times i've seen someone choose the salad at the restaurant, and it's so massive and covered with toppings and dressing that they could have eaten a couple big macs instead and been better off. same thing at subway. "yeah, i'll have the footlong bacon with extra bacon and salami, extra southwest sauce."

Did you ever consider that that is just what they wanted to eat? I greatly prefer a yummy fatty calorific salad to a couple of big macs. wouldn't anyone? lol!
    Anyway my friend's brother was telling me (long ago) how stupid it is to get a veggie and then get mayonnaise. Uh, how is that stupid? I like mayo, I don't like the meat?

of course that's the case for some people. however, there are also some who think that just because it's a salad or just because it's subway, it's automatically healthy.

Probably true that some people do think they are getting a healthier choice by going with the salad or the diet coke with their big mac. :smile:

I actually do get light mayo too. I haven't tried the avocado at subway because I'm always scared of restaurant guac.... lol! I do make my own all the time and I've been known to spread it on a mayo-free subway sandwich. yum. :wink:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Try spreading avocado on your next sandwich instead of mayo. If you mash it then spread it, it gives the same feel and the taste is 10X better than mayo IMHO.

that's something i will try. i had a small bit when subway offered it, but theirs was kind of tasteless.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Strangely just talking about this at work. A local bar charges 3.99 for celery and carrot sticks with ranch. That price alone is retarded but it's the same price as a cup of clam chowder or a chili dog.
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yep, "healthy" foods are usually more. Plus we have all these venting machines and junk food everywhere you look. People wonder why America is so fat!

why-america-is-fat-17025-1268160110-29.jpg

internet-memes-obesity-explained2.jpg

wait, is that a pizza machine?!?!? u can get pizza out of a machine?!?!? omg I want one!!!!!

Nothing like that in NH lol
  • cnicholexxo
    Options
    You didn't have to throw the Winking Lizard under the bus, it's not like they're the only ones that do this. I love that place, I always get the buffalo chicken sandwich with steamed veggies- one of the lowest cal things on the menu.

Also, go to the store and buy all those ingredients and see how much it costs. It's not out of line.

I completely agree. A piece of meat with some bread is much cheaper then veggies and things to make a salad. Have you compared the price of ketchup (for a burger) to a healthier option dressing. Big difference. When I go out to eat I don't order a burger because it's cheaper, I order it because it's delicious. If you don't want to pay more for a salad, stay home and eat. Or eat HALF of the burger and pay the upcharge for veggies instead of fries.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Yep, "healthy" foods are usually more. Plus we have all these venting machines and junk food everywhere you look. People wonder why America is so fat!

why-america-is-fat-17025-1268160110-29.jpg

internet-memes-obesity-explained2.jpg

wait, is that a pizza machine?!?!? u can get pizza out of a machine?!?!? omg I want one!!!!!

Nothing like that in NH lol

Yeppers! They had both of these at the Vatterot College my hubby went to.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I call this "six pack tax"
  • stevean
    stevean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you really want to scream, try to find low sodium foods at a restaurant.
    Even the salads often don't qualify.
    Sometimes the only item on the menu that is < 250 mg of sodium is the fruit plate.
    There is absolutely NO REASON for an entree to have 2500 mg of sodium in it.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    How is a salad with CHICKEN only $.50 cents cheaper than a full SALMON DINNER?!?!? I mean, I get the salmon with grilled veggies and keep it healthy (why not for only $.50 cents more), but what the heck is wrong with America?!?! No wonder half the country is fat/obese/overweight/Etc!!
    Problem solved- Order the salmon! Fish is so healthy, full of great omegas and other micro-nutrients, and if you eat it in moderation (not 12oz at dinner) with some veggies and a whole grain, it's a perfectly healthy meal. Grilled salmon is a such a nice treat, too and not something you would have every day at home. Salad you can get anywhere.

You're welcome :wink:

**Edit - I just finally loaded the site. Better yet - stop eating at places with "Tavern" in the name. That should help greatly with your options... :noway: That being said, there are at least 6 items on this menu that you could easily select, eat and enjoy without any issue on a 1600 cal diet. Compared to most "taverns" in Canada, this place has a LOT of alternatives. Hardly the worst offender.
  • FR89
    FR89 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    In England we have a portuguese restaurant called nandos and the calories generally aren't too horific but for a salad it can be a bit excessive especially when you're trying to keep the cost and the calories down. also they put on the menu to order sides with your dinner so it all quickly adds up on both counts but one meal at nandos with a soft drink would cost like $20

http://www.nandos.co.uk/themenu click on nutrition for the calories

mmmmmmmmm I love me some Nandos!!!! awesome periperi chicken!!!

mmmmmm nandos!!!!! LOVE IT!! lol
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Salad is expensive, they have it on the menu, but no one orders it, so they throw away a lot, which make it expensive so no one orders it,,,,,,
    unless you eat out a lot, you shouldn't have to worry about one meal heavy in caloriess. eat what you like, Work it off later.
    If you do eat out a lot, then don't just don't.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The salad seems to have just as much food as the other dishes. Lettuce itself may not cost as much, but the bacon, eggs, all that stuff adds up too. Please it takes more time to create.
  • illixer
    illixer Posts: 5
    Options
    I've noticed this trend too. I've always attributed it to the fact that produce is NOT cheap. Seafood & salad (which is what I'm primarily eating) are much more pricey than red meat & chicken.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Fresh produce is very expensive. Especially when some of it goes bad before it can even be used. Plus it is labor intensive to prep and put together salads. And ususally, when you add up all the things on a salad, plus dressing, you end up eating the same if not more calories than a burger and fries. Yes, it is a better choice as far as getting in more veggies, but don't think a salad is healthy just because it's called a salad.

It is always more expensive to eat healthy, no matter if it's at home or at a restaurant.