Salads -what do you put in ?

Options

Replies

• pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Spinach or field greens with pickled beets and crumbled up goat cheese. I throw on a couple of tablespoons of the liquid from the pickled beets and it and the cheese coat the leaves and make their own dressing. I like to add some cranberry trail mix, too. I use the trail mix on any type of salad instead of croutons. It is more calories than the croutons but it is better calories.
  • Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly ... but while I was bored, I looked up salad works and panera bread salads, and picked out my few favorites. Then I listed the ingredients and went shopping! :bigsmile:

I love the
    -Autumn salad; turkey, craisins, corn, carrots and sunflower seeds, served on a bed of lettuce mix topped with crispy apple chips!
    -Sophie's salad; spring mix, green apple slices, grilled chicken, bleu cheese, craisins, candied pecans
    -Turkey Club; romaine, iceberg, radiatorre pasta, roasted turkey, crispy bacon, tomatoes

What's even better is that you can really control the amount of toppings you want, substitute items for healthier choices, and use your own dressing!

There's some yummy ideas here!! Have fun!! During the summer I can eat salads all day!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm EXTREMELY versatile when creating my salads--whatever i "like" and think would go well on a salad, I use. Some of the "musts" are garbanzo beans, alfalfa sprouts, candied beets, salad toppings, rye croutons, goat or feta cheese, bl olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, gr pepper, caulifl, broco, ...whatever:laugh:
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    One of my fav's is, chicken, cashew nuts, sultanas, celery, apple and spring onions with l/f ceasar dressing and leaves.

Also great idea to throw in pumpkin seeds, sesame seed, any dried fruit you have, always nuts, basically anything and everything.

Do an classic Nicoise without the potato, so olives, tomatoes, onion, green beans, hard boiled eggs and tuna - delicious.

Smoked salmon, prawns and grilled avocado with a marie rose style dressing is great.
    Jules xx
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Nuts, meats (tuna, turkey, or chicken), eggs, spinach, and lots of veg.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, excellent suggestions. Can't wait to have my next salad.....YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!
  • georgiagal1116
    georgiagal1116 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Romaine or Spring Mix, radishes, sweet peppers, feta, carrots, & turkey meat from the deli topped with balsamic vinagrette spray
  • downwithbottledwater
    Options
    My absolute favourite is spinach or romaine with mango, toasted almonds, green onion, and protein (chicken, tuna, tofu) with poppyseed dressing.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My go-to salad is this:

*Lettuce (of course, lol)
    *Light/Fat Free Zesty Italian Dressing
    *Cranberries
    *Dill pickles
    *McCormick Salad Toppers
    *Shredded Mozz. Cheese
  • kleverkira
    kleverkira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I need lots of "stuff" in my salad to make it satisfying. My favorite is to do a kind of taco salad - black beans, brown rice, onions, tomatoes, light sour cream, a little cheese, and salsa plus a few sprinkles of baked tortilla chips for crunch.
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly ... but while I was bored, I looked up salad works and panera bread salads, and picked out my few favorites. Then I listed the ingredients and went shopping! :bigsmile:

I love the
    -Autumn salad; turkey, craisins, corn, carrots and sunflower seeds, served on a bed of lettuce mix topped with crispy apple chips!
    -Sophie's salad; spring mix, green apple slices, grilled chicken, bleu cheese, craisins, candied pecans
    -Turkey Club; romaine, iceberg, radiatorre pasta, roasted turkey, crispy bacon, tomatoes

What's even better is that you can really control the amount of toppings you want, substitute items for healthier choices, and use your own dressing!

There's some yummy ideas here!! Have fun!! During the summer I can eat salads all day!

Panera bread has a super tasty Asian salad that I like to replicate. Buy your own crispy wonton strips and use sparingly, but get the crunch. Add some sesame seeds, thin strips of grilled chicken, slivered almonds, and make your own Asian dressing. Yummm. If you want to add fruit, throw on some mandarin oranges.

I also like to eat a good salad with goat cheese on it. The cheese is so creamy you don't need dressing.
  • mollyfisher
    Options
    fruit! salad with fruit is so good and doesn't need dressing at all. it sounds gross but throwing in some green apples or strawberries, hell ive put peaches in there before, in to your normal salad makes it SO FREAKING GOOD! and you can cook them before if you dont want to eat them raw.
  • kristine8409
    Options
    This is my favorite salad! I'm always asked to bring it to parties!!!

Mexican Caesar Salad

Salad Ingredients:

Romaine Lettuce (or whatever lettuce you want)
    Diced Tomatoes
    Grilled Chicken
    Cilantro-Lime Dressing

Cilantro-Lime Dressing:
    1 bunch of cilantro
    1 garlic clove
    1 jalepeno
    1/2 cup light or fat free mayo
    1/2 cup light or fat free sour cream
    1 packet of ranch dry mix
    few drops of any hot sauce
    juice of 2 limes

Dressing Directions:
    Chop everything that can be chopped, put everything in blender or food processor until smooth and creamy!
    Toss with salad!

I use the whole jalepeno with seeds! Take them out if you don't want it to be as spicy!
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    I dont know if this consitutes as a salad but its a russian dish and my mom always makes it and basically she cooks eggplant (mostly an eggplant dish), cuts it up into thin dices, along with some red onions, and roasted red and yellow peppers. she adds a bit of salt and pepper (i think lol). its actually delicious and I would think of it as a salad just because I eat it just like that :P and, you can even eat it as a dip too:) <3 eggplant <3 lol now im hungry...
  • kellymccrea1
    kellymccrea1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I start off with half spinach and half spring mix. Then, I add grape tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. Broccoli Slaw, matchstick carrots. Then 1 oz of fat free feta, and 2 Tbs of sliced almonds. Then I add protein, either imitation crab, chicken, black beans, etc. 1 tsp EVOO and garlic red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Yum!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Roasted Vegetables......

I roast up a bunch of vegis in the oven - 450 drizzled with olive oil and salt and pepper and sometimes cumin - (broccoli, cauliflower, butternut squash, sweet potato, parsnip, onion, garlic, fennel, etc) and then put some of these vegi's over whatever green I have (romaine or spinach or arugula)... top with avocado, dark kidney beans, home made croutons and a little bit of cheese - DELICIOUS! You don't even need dressing, it is so tasty! SO nutritious, too!
  • rachicago
    rachicago Posts: 2
    Options
    I like to add as many veggies as i can manage, then beans or chickpeas--i can trick myself into thinking i've added cheese, because of the texture!

Here's an article with great inspiration for a 'choose your own salad adventure'!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ultimate-salad-recipe/#axzz1nmrvWkxY
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite salad! I'm always asked to bring it to parties!!!

Mexican Caesar Salad

Salad Ingredients:

Romaine Lettuce (or whatever lettuce you want)
    Diced Tomatoes
    Grilled Chicken
    Cilantro-Lime Dressing

Cilantro-Lime Dressing:
    1 bunch of cilantro
    1 garlic clove
    1 jalepeno
    1/2 cup light or fat free mayo
    1/2 cup light or fat free sour cream
    1 packet of ranch dry mix
    few drops of any hot sauce
    juice of 2 limes

Dressing Directions:
    Chop everything that can be chopped, put everything in blender or food processor until smooth and creamy!
    Toss with salad!

I use the whole jalepeno with seeds! Take them out if you don't want it to be as spicy!

This sounds AMAZING!
  • ms_cataclysm
    ms_cataclysm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mixed greens and baby spinach with sliced pears, crumbled gorgonzola, candied pecans, dried cranberries and balsamic vinaigrette.

Sounds fabulous
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I vary the lettuces. Right now I have a spring mix.
    I sometimes use different veggies. Peppers, carrots, celery, cucumber, mushroom, green onions.
    Try to add healthy fat with avacado or olive oil.
    I bought organic croutons to try.
    I usually make dressing with olive oil and balsamic vinegear or sometimes mayo, sugar, lemon juice, pepper. But my kids wanted ranch so I bought a bottle of organic ranch dressing.
    I sometimes add different cheeses. Tonight it's going to be feta.
    I sometimes add sunflower seeds or nuts.
    I don't really like fruit in my salad so I never add it.