Deadlift...

Options
...set a new deadlift PR today AND I got my first shin bruises!

:laugh:

:bigsmile:

Replies

• dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Congrats! Always a good feeling
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

How much??
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Nice welcome to the club.my wife bruises easily her thigh are solid bruises
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options

It felt like I could probably do more but I'm pretty new to deadlifts and I was beat, so I decided to play it safe. Maybe I'll see another PR Thursday.

:)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    2 weeks of deadlifts and you're at 255? Outstanding!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

You're an animal. I just do sets with 205 and that bar gets hard to hold on the 4th set. You must have a grip of steel.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what are deadlifts? I have heard that lifting is the BEST way to tone and I would like to do more. :D
  • damorzacon
    Options
    2 weeks of deadlifts and you're at 255? Outstanding!

Yeah, I was a bit suprised myself. I decided to go heavier Sunday and my tracking program gave me a new hypothetical max, so I tried to beat it today.
    You're an animal. I just do sets with 205 and that bar gets hard to hold on the 4th set. You must have a grip of steel.

lol...thanks!
  • damorzacon
    Options
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what are deadlifts? I have heard that lifting is the BEST way to tone and I would like to do more. :D

http://www.jefit.com/exercises/exercise-database/?id=93&exercisename=Barbell-Deadlift
    Stand in front of a barbell with your feet shoulder width apart.

Pick up the barbell while and stand up keeping your arms straign down.

Stand up straight with the barbell in your hands, do not move your arms.

Bend back down at the knees with barbell.

Repeat for the desired amount of reps.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm newer to deadlifting too and I love it! I set mine this week as well - 185 although no bruises so far. :smile:

Great work!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

My personal choice is the Romanian dead lift. This thing kills your hamstrings and glutes. If you want a better looking butt or just want stronger hamstrings this is the exercise to do. You will feel these the next day for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZA_QDy9cY

EDIT: I don't use wrist straps like this guy does so use an alternate grip to help. (One hand palm forward, one palm facing rear)
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Thank you very kindly. :D
  • damorzacon
    Options

Thank you very kindly. :D

Welcome. That's a very simplified explaination. If you're interested in starting, I'd watch some youtube videos before attempting any pulls.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have bruises all over my legs. Not sure how the even happens. Anyway congrats!
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Awesome on the deadlift - I'm just getting into powerlifting myself, and the deadlift is the one I need to get my form down on. I've only done 315x3, but just had a pro lifter give me pointers on how to lift better, so I'm hoping to hit 500 in a few months. I pulled 225x2 for a one-armed deadlift last night with the pro's guidance, so I'm confident 500's in there somewhere.

Keep up the great effort, and congrats on the PR!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Nice job! Gotta love the shin bruises. You have to try pullin' Sumo-style sometime, your shins will hate you.
    Awesome on the deadlift - I'm just getting into powerlifting myself, and the deadlift is the one I need to get my form down on. I've only done 315x3, but just had a pro lifter give me pointers on how to lift better, so I'm hoping to hit 500 in a few months. I pulled 225x2 for a one-armed deadlift last night with the pro's guidance, so I'm confident 500's in there somewhere.

Damn! Love the 1-armed DL!
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the shin bruises! I hate them but I am proud when I have them.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    wow, I was so full of myself for deadlifting 100lbs this week. Now I'm humbled :)
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    Don't kow if you can see it, but this is a deadlift. 405, while on a low cal, no carb diet... lol, actual lift about 20 seconds in. :P Had to get my mind right, took a bit.

https://www.facebook.com/aaron.frank3?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?v=2175222949467&set=t.1806049484&type=3&theater
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    wow, I was so full of myself for deadlifting 100lbs this week. Now I'm humbled :)

You lift what you can - don't compare yourself to other people. Based on your age, weight, and build, a 100 lb deadlift is something to be very proud of. I'm 6'2", 360 lbs and have been doing Highland Games (even threw at the Waxhaw games a couple times!) for six years. I've got rotten form, but have got a large muscle mass to work with.

Here's a good chart to compare yourself against if you want something to push for:
    http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html