Deadlift...

Options
2»

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Deadlift PRs are always fun. I wouldn't know about the bruises though lol!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Had to get my mind right, took a bit

Dude, I'm the same way when it comes to deadlifting. For some reason that lift is more mental for me than any of them. I was doing Sumo-pulls for ME day on Sat and I got the weight about 4-inches off the floor and then it wouldn't budge for a brief second. It was just a matter me saying, "noway I'm locking this **** out" and then I got it.
    You lift what you can - don't compare yourself to other people. Based on your age, weight, and build, a 100 lb deadlift is something to be very proud of. I'm 6'2", 360 lbs and have been doing Highland Games (even threw at the Waxhaw games a couple times!) for six years. I've got rotten form, but have got a large muscle mass to work with.

Here's a good chart to compare yourself against if you want something to push for:
    http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/DeadliftStandards.html

He's very right. You'll improve over time.

I like the reference you posted, I'm doing better than I thought. I was under the impression that being "strong" was having a two-times bodyweight Deadlift / Squat and a one-1/2 times bodyweight bench press.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    wow, I was so full of myself for deadlifting 100lbs this week. Now I'm humbled :)

You lift what you can - don't compare yourself to other people. Based on your age, weight, and build, a 100 lb deadlift is something to be very proud of. I'm 6'2", 360 lbs and have been doing Highland Games (even threw at the Waxhaw games a couple times!) for six years. I've got rotten form, but have got a large muscle mass to work with.

Here's a good chart to compare yourself against if you want something to push for:

This site is really helpful, thank you! I hope you enjoyed our little town of Waxhaw.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i request the highest of fives
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    ...set a new deadlift PR today AND I got my first shin bruises!

:laugh:

:bigsmile:

nice. thats a sign of good form :)
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like the reference you posted, I'm doing better than I thought. I was under the impression that being "strong" was having a two-times bodyweight Deadlift / Squat and a one-1/2 times bodyweight bench press.

The reference was helpful. I've been kinda self conscious about where I am but I'm right around what I should be for bench and squat...deadlift I was well ahead. :)
    nice. thats a sign of good form :)

I will wear these bruises as a badge of honor!
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    [/quote]

I will wear these bruises as a badge of honor!
    [/quote]

I think the bruise-as-a-badge-of-honor thing could get a little annoying after a while, especially if you start to draw blood. The only thing I wear sweats for when I work out is for deadlifts. My shins thank me every time.
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had that thought just as I posted that...lol

I can't stand sweatpants, so I'll probably get some long socks.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what are deadlifts? I have heard that lifting is the BEST way to tone and I would like to do more. :D

Deadlifts are a good routine but you should get someone to coach you on proper technique. it is easy to injure your back if you do them wrong. Just ask someone doing them. It only takes @ 5 minutes to learn proper technique and can save you months of pain.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    For those of us who are doing multiple reps, not 1RM, here is a useful calculator to determine 1RM:

http://exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i wear think long socks and long pants on deadlift day.

to get around grip issues, just reset your grip between reps. you're supposed to be touching the bar and weight on the ground between reps anyway, so it's a good opportunity to rest your grip.

what's really annoying is when the day after your forearms are DOMinated :laugh:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    wear shin guards, like the soccer players do. lol
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    wow, I was so full of myself for deadlifting 100lbs this week. Now I'm humbled :)

is that CAber tossing?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Bruises are a badge of honor! I wear long pants on deadlift days-hate it in summer.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options

is that CAber tossing?

Yes it is! Or at least caber tossing is one of the events.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I wear long socks, my PR is 325 I plan on shattering that tomorrow.
    <---that pic is 295 or 315 deadlift. The most relaxing few seconds of my life are at the top of a deadlift