Vegetarian diet and mental disorders

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

But the problem with that is, the article says:

The analysis of the respective ages at adoption of a vegetarian diet and onset of a mental disorder showed that the onset of mental disorders tends to follow the adoption of the vegetarian diet.

. That still doesn't rule out people being more sensitive but not developing *diagnosed* emotional disorders until they are older. Many emotional disorders "tend" to become apparent in adolescence or adulthood. Other emotional disorders are missed by families and doctors of children. I can't remember but I don't think this was a study that followed people throughout their lifespans. If it wasn't, there may be reliance on recollection, which is unreliable.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Also I eat tons of fat, it's just not animal fat.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

But the problem with that is, the article says:

The analysis of the respective ages at adoption of a vegetarian diet and onset of a mental disorder showed that the onset of mental disorders tends to follow the adoption of the vegetarian diet.

"Tends" is not a strong clinical significance term. That still doesn't rule out people being more sensitive but not developing *diagnosed* emotional disorders until they are older. Many emotional disorders "tend" to become apparent in adolescence or adulthood. Other emotional disorders are missed by families and doctors of children. I can't remember but I don't think this was a study that followed people throughout their lifespans. If it wasn't, there may be reliance on recollection, which is unreliable.

Of course you're right and one study isn't enough for certainty anyway. But it's still interesting.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    OUCH!
    I am no vegetarian, but this is quite absurd.
    Correlation does not equal causation.
    Maybe a half baked mind is what draws some to give up meat. That makes much more sense to me.
    To turn one's nose up before a fabulous steak is crazy.
    Just an opinion.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Haha nice study.
  • However, there was no evidence for a causal role of vegetarian diet in the etiology of mental disorders.

This is the most important part of the study.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Of course you're right and one study isn't enough for certainty anyway. But it's still interesting.

It's interesting! I think it's useful, not offensive. I wouldn't stop being a vegan to get rid of my anxiety, but the research could lead to strategies to help vegetarians and vegans follow their lifestyle without suffering emotionally. I know I feel much better when I take my (vegan) Omega-3 supplements.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    must be all the hormones in cows milk
    vegans are way happier :D
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Hilarious!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: The meat and dairy industry is likely behind this study. I can tell you from experience that a vegetarian diet makes me so dang happy, upbeat, less critical, more relaxed, happier in general, more energy, strength and stamina than I EVER had when I ate animal flesh.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I agree with Flaxmilk. Thinking about people walking around, walking graves. Knowing the truths about our culture makes me really upset. Understanding the suffering and pain that is all around us, it can be depressing. Most vegetarians are not only involved in animal rights, they are concerned for the bigger picture as well, other activism. The planet and the survival of our species. Human rights. Human welfare. I am a vegetarian, and I may be more prone to feelings of sadness. It is not my diet, it is my awareness and the general state of everything.
    ^^ THIS. Totally agree!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I agree with Flaxmilk. Thinking about people walking around, walking graves. Knowing the truths about our culture makes me really upset. Understanding the suffering and pain that is all around us, it can be depressing. Most vegetarians are not only involved in animal rights, they are concerned for the bigger picture as well, other activism. The planet and the survival of our species. Human rights. Human welfare. I am a vegetarian, and I may be more prone to feelings of sadness. It is not my diet, it is my awareness and the general state of everything.
    You might be right.
    I don't care about any of those things, and my life is wonderful!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew happy Vegans and vegetarians. All the ones I know, got a holier than thou attitude and bought apple products. They became a bunch of pretentious a-holes.
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would guess this correlation is due to a higher degree of sensitivity - they won't eat animals because they feel bad for them, thus, they are more highly effected by other social plights, etc. Just a guess, though.

I've been a vegetarian for the majority of my life (11 years, and I'm 19 now) and I don't have any mental disorders. My past roommate, however, was a pescetarian (though she often referred to herself as a vegetarian) and had all sorts of problems, especially dealing with food and body image.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think the study is twisting the results to meet an agenda, much like any that propose that vegetarian diet is better.

That being said, I think that it's totally possible that people with certain sensitivities and idealogies are drawn to veganism. The activist types, those that believe themselves to be morally superior to others, those that want to be "edgy" (though not intentionally) and hipsters seem to be drawn to the diet. It's also not surprising that most vegetarians that I have met in my life tend to be VERY liberal when it comes to politics. I really don't think that this is coincidence. I also think that liberalism is a mental disorder however, and maybe that is what drives people to be vegetarian?
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I also get depressed when I can't eat meat! :)

Took the words right out of my mouth :)

Nice sig lol
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew happy Vegans and vegetarians. All the ones I know, got a holier than thou attitude and bought apple products. They became a bunch of pretentious a-holes.

Not sure if sarcasm...but I agree! I have a guy that works for me that used to be a vegetarian and he's be the first to tell you that part of what drew him to the diet was that he could lord is moral superiority over other people he met. He's older now and decided to give that up and eat meat. He's a lot healthier now, and much less of a little prick.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I was crazy before I went veg and I'm crazy now.

But people love my crazy.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm still puzzled as to why there would be any widespread agenda against vegetarianism, given the relative scarcity of meat. It's heavily subsidized and still expensive, and a lot of people would be very unhappy if increased demand caused prices to go beyond the reach of the average American.

Environmentalists are probably also quite happy with the idea of more people following a vegetarian diet.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Not sure if sarcasm...but I agree! I have a guy that works for me that used to be a vegetarian and he's be the first to tell you that part of what drew him to the diet was that he could lord is moral superiority over other people he met. He's older now and decided to give that up and eat meat. He's a lot healthier now, and much less of a little prick.

Not sarcasm at all. Here in the SF Bay area, all the vegans and veggies I come across (and personal friends who switched), all act like they were gods gifts to the world and that everyone else is beneath them. I lost friends over it, its ridiculous really.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My ex girlfriend was a vegetarian and suffered from depression that got steadily worse over the 10 years we were together. When we met she at least ate fist a couple of times a week. In the end, there were times when all she would eat are a Gensoy Bar, nuts and popcorn....I still worry about her.